Ive been playing guitar with no real goals over the last few weeks. Ive studied theory like mad, and its got me nowhere. Whats the best way of measuring my progress? And also, tips on making practice as efficient as possible would be helpful. (I know, this has been asked a hundred times)
write a song usin the thoery uv learnt, and if it sounds kick arse, either it was made to sound good by luck or the thoery has been sinking in lol
I've been playing for around 2 1/2 years now, and I've never had a strict practice routine. Just a desire to improve myself, and a passion for music. I guess I get to see my progress by setting goals for myself (my annual "Guitargets" as I call them) eg. a couple of songs beyond my capabilities, some sweeping exercises, new scale etc...

I also like to record myself, and evaluate my playing. I terms of making practice as efficient as possible, play with a metronome, and have fun.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I dont measure progress, I dont really worry about it because it takes the fun out of it.
Quote by leony03
write a song usin the thoery uv learnt, and if it sounds kick arse, either it was made to sound good by luck or the thoery has been sinking in lol

Heh, funny thing is I cant write music on the guitar. I can write riffs and stuff on a piano (which I dont know how to play) because the layout of notes is more linear...

Quote by BobMarleysGhost
I also like to record myself, and evaluate my playing. I terms of making practice as efficient as possible, play with a metronome, and have fun.

I hate metronomes! I guess Ill need to like them...
Like Bobmarley said; challenge yourself. Maybe try learning a song/solo that before you thought was too hard or even dducate yourself on playing techniques you havent tried before.

John Petrucci's Rock Discipline techniques are GODLY for improving your chops

I'd also high advise you to learn how to read music if cant. Learning to read music is a major major major progression
I don't know who you are, but I'm with you
Quote by Frank_Aranda
Like Bobmarley said; challenge yourself. Maybe try learning a song/solo that before you thought was too hard or even dducate yourself on playing techniques you havent tried before.

John Petrucci's Rock Discipline techniques are GODLY for improving your chops

I'd also high advise you to learn how to read music if cant. Learning to read music is a major major major progression

Yeah, I already know how to read music, just not well. John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD always loses me at the metronome section, because I hate metronomes. Unfortunately, that section is the warm up section, so I didnt make it far in that DVD.
Ok, I took advice, and am attempting to learn "Torture Me" by RHCP. Does anyone know any good excercises to practice rapid alternate picking? Its not like going through alot of notes, just a few notes played rapidly.
A lot of Melodeath comes to mind with alternate picking. Try "Runes To My Memory" by Amon Amarth.
Quote by Eric 666
I dont measure progress, I dont really worry about it because it takes the fun out of it.

+1

but i did feel good about my progress listening to myself sweep the other day, i think its pretty good for 3 years considering its about the same as my friend was when he was playing for 5 years which was a little over a year ago so yay =]
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30