View poll results: Which Preamp?
Engl e530 (valves ftw)
3 100%
Rocktron Prophesy, digital is the way
0 0%
Something else, tool!
0 0%
Voters: 3.
I'm looking for a preamp for when I eventually get round to buying my rack (that'll be never at this rate, but that's not important). I'm getting a Mesa 20/20 for my Poweramp, because I want the tubes to 'kick in' at lower volumes, and I'm sure 40 watts valve will be enough for gigging.

I was going to have a Rocktron Xpression with an Engl e530 which seems like a pretty solid choice, and it comes to roughly £600. However, Rocktron Prophesy IIs are going on eBay for £600 (LINK) and as those have effects as well, would I be better off?

I like the idea of having 2-in-1, but I don't know if I want a digital preamp, I like the sound of valves better. If you haven't guessed by now what kind of music I play, I'm looking for a Between the Buried and Me/StudioForce kind of tone (I know Herman uses a Prophesy II).

Which would you guys go for? I'll put up a poll as well.

Cheers
Personally I'd go for the ENGL. I considered it for a short time when I was thnking ofgetting a rack setup and heard it played. The only thing is that I wouldn't say its very versatile, it's more of a metal or die preamp. Can't speak for that particular Rocktron, but I wasn't impressed with the gainiac when I heard it.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Personally I'd go for the ENGL. I considered it for a short time when I was thnking ofgetting a rack setup and heard it played. The only thing is that I wouldn't say its very versatile, it's more of a metal or die preamp. Can't speak for that particular Rocktron, but I wasn't impressed with the gainiac when I heard it.

To be honest, versatility isn't top on my list of priorities! I want clean cleans and a br00talz distortion for low tunings and a smooth high-end for shredorz, which I've heard Engl does very well.

And yeah, the Gainiac is rather bad... to be fair, it is only about £200 or something.
Well the cleans on the ENGL have very little warmth and that was one of the things that put me off buying it. The best type of distortion it does is that saturated tight sound, which I liked, but the problem for me was getting a decent crunch sound for chords.