Guys i signed up for a talent show at my summer session today.

there will not be any winners, but participants will get extra credits

so what do you think i should do? audience are aged 12- 18 most of them like pop and the stuff in the top ten list on itunes.

What should i do?

Should I play some blink? or something like trivium?

tell me what you think
Scare them with CANNIBAL CORPSE! I Cum Blood!!!

Im sorry it had to be done. Do whatever you listen to.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Last edited by SoftParade1967 at Jul 13, 2008,
my point here is to ask whether to play something popular and well known or something unknown but requires skills
Quote by chriskhng
my point here is to ask whether to play something popular and well known or something unknown but requires skills

I would say do something that requires skill. Lets face it Playing John Mayer isent exatly the most exciting thing in the world.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Blink182 will be better if your choosing between the two. But they are very different styles of music and the playing abilities are drastically altered between them!

If you want to play music and get a taste for the live environment - play what you feel most comfortable playing; something you enjoy and something you feel you excell at more than anything else. But also something that pushes you.

If you want to play music to suit the crowd - play something that they all will know, but nothing too cliched like Stairway to Heaven or Back in Black. I will suggest Under The Bridge by Chilli's. Or maybe Hey Joe by Hendrix or something along those lines. Layla by Clapton. Grace by Jeff Buckley. In my own Summer by Deftones. Red Flag by Billy Talent. Man in a Box by Alice in Chains. That kind of stuff.

If you want to impress the judges - Combine both of the above. What you play the best, and something everyone will enjoy.

I will suggest the last one or the first one, depending on your goals.
If you want the crowd to be into it and sing along with you, play something popular. If you want people to be like "Damn, that kid can play" than play something with some skill. I'd pick skill myself.
dragonforce or slayer just cause of its speed it might even keep attetion but maybe not if they are waiting for there christina spears wonnabe to start singing
skill
do eruption, or a joe satriani song or something
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Ghold125
Scarified - racer x

but what types of music do you play?

Yes OMG do scarified omg do it do it do it
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Layla by Derek and the Dominoes

Fixed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
no one in the summer session know who paul gilbert is.
they dislike metal and the only thing they know of rock is that it involves guitar, some doesn't even know what a bass guitar is,
they also think that avril lavigne and kelly clarkson is rock.
with the age group your playing for i would suggest you play something popular .. maybe even a pop or rap song and make it rock remix .. then thell be like damn .. thats cool beans man
take it easy man .. its just a thread
You get points for participating and there's no winners?

Just play what YOU want to play. Play something popular AND kick-ass. DETHKLOK.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Fixed.

Cheers mate, but I did know that. I suggested the Eric Clapton live version 'cause I personally would be more impressed to see that version than the original performance. But that's just a taste of my own. Playing a really nice acoustic solo is more difficult in my eyes than playing a nice electric guitar solo.
Quote by Iceman 420
You get points for participating and there's no winners?

Just play what YOU want to play. Play something popular AND kick-ass. DETHKLOK.

yeah...you need to get brootal on them
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Lets face it Playing John Mayer isent exatly the most exciting thing in the world.

>.<

Is it just you on guitar? Or do you have friends accompanying you? If it's only you, I wouldn't go near anything like Blink. Maybe some Hendrix stuff, you could always do one big solo where you combine elements of many songs, like the one guy linked. I love doing solos that incorporate vocal melodies from popular songs into them, so if you can figure those out, that should be good.
Do some red hot chili peppers, or if you really want pop punk try yellowcard or even sum 41
If you've got a band, then +1 to Red Hot Chilli Peppers, or just do some great 90's rock. Nobody doesn't like that. Stuff like 'Jumper' by Third Eye Blind, it's not going to be technically challenging guitar work, but if you wanna entertain, can't go wrong with stuff like that.
you should never consider your audience when playing a gig... EVER! Play music you like and can play, if the little 12 year olds dont like it, make em piss there pants with a night time prank....
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

well start out telling them to start listening to real music because lately the itune top 10 hasnt been good at all. play either snow (hey oh) if your good enough or under the bridge both by red hot chili peppers
Thanks for reading this... Ladies
Just blow them away with the best performance you can give!
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
I think you should go with songs/bands that everyone knows...

Bon Jovi, for example. It's fun to play with a full band...
5 minute long A minor improv.

Throw out every technique you possibly can.
Melt some faces... But thats just me
Quote by guitarnoize
Bloody ell talk about splitting hairs

Possibly but everyone and their mother thinks it was by Clapton and it's not so I get rather annoyed by it. Saying it was by Clapton completely ignores the awesome talent of Duane Allman anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.