Page 1 of 2
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I love everything about it, except the pickups. They make my tone kind of muddy. So now I am upgrading the pickups. I want some pickups that has cleans similar to Circa Survive while having some distortion similar to Underoath . I play through a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde V2(or OCD...) to an Ampeg Reverberocket R12R. Any suggestions for a set of pickups? Would a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB/SH-2 Jazz do me any good?
My Gear: For sale/trade:
Epi Les Paul Custom SPF I-5 delay
Fender Jazzmaster MXR 1O band EQ
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Last edited by Kakashi98 at Jul 21, 2008,
Quote by restless_thrash
go for some rails, like a dimebucker. Awesome tone imo.

Bleugh!

If you want rails, go for a Dimarzio D Sonic or X2N. Dimebuckers are nasty IMO.
Quote by restless_thrash
go for some rails, like a dimebucker. Awesome tone imo.

why the dimebucker, when he could get the Bill Lawrence l-500?
I have a very similar problem and those pickups are what everyone recently suggested to me. Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz, so the same as the ones you posted...I think!
Quote by djmay71
do you honestly NEED new pickups, like you NEED to get a life?

Was there really any need for that?

The JB/Jazz combo is alright, but you could do better.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Tom_hatton-
How are the Dimarzio D sonic and X2N with cleans?
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Quote by timi_hendrix
Was there really any need for that?

The JB/Jazz combo is alright, but you could do better.

What are some better combos?
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, you probably want a beefier tone. I would try a Dimarzio Breed in the bridge. In the neck, Breeds also have good cleans. So maybe a pair of Breeds isn't a bad idea.

The Dimarzio Breed looks nice! I might actually get those. But I am not sure I should get a pair of Breeds or a breed in the neck with a matching pickup. Also, how does the Breed sound tapped?

Any other suggestions? I was planning on coil tapping...
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
SD Pearly Gates in the neck and a Bill Lawrence l-500 in the bridge.Covers everything.Cheap too.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." HST
Quote by Kakashi98
The Dimarzio Breed looks nice! I might actually get those. But I am not sure I should get a pair of Breeds or a breed in the neck with a matching pickup. Also, how does the Breed sound tapped?

Any other suggestions? I was planning on coil tapping...

Dunno, never SPLIT a coil. It's a coil split. A coil tap is using less/more windings of a single coil. In a coil split, you're using half of a humbucker.
Personally, I would rather install a series/parallel switch. Much more usable tone, still hum canceling.

I would DEFINITELY put a Breed in the bridge. The neck, it just depends. A PAF Pro might be nice there, too.
Quote by Kakashi98
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I love everything about it, except the pickups. They make my tone kind of muddy. So now I am upgrading the pickups. I want some pickups that has cleans similar to Circa Survive while having some distortion similar to Underoath . I play through a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde V2 to an Ampeg Reverberocket R12R. Any suggestions for a set of pickups? Would a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB/SH-2 Jazz do me any good?

wow why not grab some squire pickups.
****ty pickups for ****ty music.
Quote by chrismasinjuly

very helpful you are

+1 to the breed/paf pro idea
Quote by djmay71
do you honestly NEED new pickups, like you NEED to get a life?

Quote by chrismasinjuly

Wow, the sheer idiocy of those two posts compels me to report both of you.

I like the idea of a pair of breeds, but forsaknazrael is quite knowledgable - check out the paf too.
The tone in both of those soundclips is very wide and open. That means no high output alnico. High output alnico sounds compressed and midheavy which those tones were not. Low output alnico like a PAF would pull it off and so would a few of the DiMarzio medium output pickups made for Satriani like the PAF Pro, PAF Joe, or the Mo Joe would be good. So would high output ceramic but there are too many high output ceramic pickups to even be able to start listing them. Some will say to stay away from ceramic if you want cleans because ceramic cleans sound a bit lifeless. That is true except the cleans in the soundclip you posted had so many effects going on that you wouldn't be able to hear the difference between low output alnico and high output ceramic anyway.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
The tone in both of those soundclips is very wide and open. That means no high output alnico. High output alnico sounds compressed and midheavy which those tones were not. Low output alnico like a PAF would pull it off and so would a few of the DiMarzio medium output pickups made for Satriani like the PAF Pro, PAF Joe, or the Mo Joe would be good. So would high output ceramic but there are too many high output ceramic pickups to even be able to start listing them. Some will say to stay away from ceramic if you want cleans because ceramic cleans sound a bit lifeless. That is true except the cleans in the soundclip you posted had so many effects going on that you wouldn't be able to hear the difference between low output alnico and high output ceramic anyway.

Now that I think about it, I want achieve this clean sound. What would you recommend me?
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Last edited by Kakashi98 at Jul 14, 2008,
some of the passive emg's might work well if you want something thats good dirty and clean. dont get active emg's because those really dirty up the clean sound and makes it sound like ****.
Quote by Kakashi98
Know that I think about it, I want achieve this clean sound. What would you recommend me?

That actually sounds like a ceramic magnet pickup to me. I'm not saying it is, but it sounds like it. The tones you are going for are pretty easy to get. Something ceramic from around 14K to around 18K or something alnico from 8K to around 12K. It might be a good idea to get something alnico and 8K (ish) in the neck and get something ceramic and 15K(ish) in the bridge. DiMarzio is probably going to be a better brand for you than duncan. If you are in the UK then you might want to give me a call, but if you are in the USA then I think DiMarzio has a lot of pickups that could do what you need. Just start flipping through the website and checking soundclips.
I like the distorted sound of the PAF pro/ the Breed combo. But I am unsure about the cleans on it. What are your opinions on this combo?
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
I am going with the Dimarzio PAF Pro/ Breed combo!
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Quote by Kakashi98
I am going with the Dimarzio PAF Pro/ Breed combo!

I might go with the same setup as well. It was handy that you started this thread, I could just watch and learn. Hehe!
There retailing at decent prices as well, the Dimarzio PAF Pro and the Breed. What excact models are you going for by the way? I think they have a few different varities availible, but I'm not positive about that.
I use the same guitar basically and I use a PAF PRO in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge. The neck pup isnt working well right now since I can turn my amp up to full without it being loud enough for me to even have to raise my voice to have a conversation. Super distortion is AMAZING it works well with cleans if you use it properly. THe cleans you posted arent very clean at all so the Super Distortion could do it without any trouble and get cleaner than this.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
^I would probably go with the super distortion over the breed too.
One word of advice TS. I just got back from having my tech take a look at my neck pup trouble and everything seems to be working fine so it looks like I have to buy a new pup for my neck. If you go with dimarzio's I suggest making sure the outputs are about the same. This mistake has cost me but I will try selling my PAF on the local market. If you wanna be safe go with a matched pair. Evolution neck with an Evolution bridge etc. Breed neck with Breed bridge. I do HIGHLY recommend the Super distorion though can do everything and is so sweet with the tone cut on a Les paul. I'm personally looking at something that will go well with my super distortion. Probably an Evolution neck or Super 2 or a D activator neck pup. Id love to convert to active but its about 180$ for a pair:P Dont mean to steal the thread but if anyone else has some suggestions for neck pickups that can deal with the Super distortions all mighty output. Might go duncan if they can whip something up that can take it. Thanks and good luck.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
One word of advice TS. I just got back from having my tech take a look at my neck pup trouble and everything seems to be working fine so it looks like I have to buy a new pup for my neck. If you go with dimarzio's I suggest making sure the outputs are about the same. This mistake has cost me but I will try selling my PAF on the local market. If you wanna be safe go with a matched pair. Evolution neck with an Evolution bridge etc. Breed neck with Breed bridge. I do HIGHLY recommend the Super distorion though can do everything and is so sweet with the tone cut on a Les paul. I'm personally looking at something that will go well with my super distortion. Probably an Evolution neck or Super 2 or a D activator neck pup. Id love to convert to active but its about 180$ for a pair:P Dont mean to steal the thread but if anyone else has some suggestions for neck pickups that can deal with the Super distortions all mighty output. Might go duncan if they can whip something up that can take it. Thanks and good luck.

I have a paf pro in the neck of my ibanez with a super distortion in the bridge and they match up very well. so maybe your tech is missing something...
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
I have a paf pro in the neck of my ibanez with a super distortion in the bridge and they match up very well. so maybe your tech is missing something...

Do you notice a large difference in sound? and if you but both pups on at the sametime can you hear them both? Its very possible my tech is just trying to cover his own ass.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Do you notice a large difference in sound? and if you but both pups on at the sametime can you hear them both? Its very possible my tech is just trying to cover his own ass.

not really a big difference in volume.

when I use both I hear both the tones combined very well.

I'd take your guitar else where and have it looked at.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
not really a big difference in volume.

when I use both I hear both the tones combined very well.

I'd take your guitar else where and have it looked at.

I'd agree. Good advice becuase this is not what I'm getting at all from my pups.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Does Dimarzio have a return policy? In case I get the PAF pro/Breed combo and they don't suit me.
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Quote by Kakashi98
Does Dimarzio have a return policy? In case I get the PAF pro/Breed combo and they don't suit me.

if you buy them online im not 100% sure cus they have certain policies like it cant be opened or something.... but if you bought them from a store im sure you could take them back if you didnt like them.
Quote by Kakashi98

I ordered mine from musicians friend and there is a 30 day EXCHANGE policy. From dimarzio itself, you call them. Pretty sweet.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
I ordered mine from musicians friend and there is a 30 day EXCHANGE policy. From dimarzio itself, you call them. Pretty sweet.

So you're saying you could order a pickup, solder it in, and then if you dont like it, exchange it? O_o
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Slanderous666

I still think there is a problem with your pickup. Even it it was wired in correctly that doesn't mean they wired the pickup correctly in the DiMarzio factory, or that 1 of the coils doesn't have a short, or that the magnet didn't get degaussed. Mistakes happen and I think you got a defective pickup. The Super Distortion will be a lot louder than the PAF Pro but a PAF pro should still be a lot louder than your run of the mill stock neck.

How about you send the pickup to me for a rewind. I'll do it free if you pay shipping.
Quote by kool98769
So you're saying you could order a pickup, solder it in, and then if you dont like it, exchange it? O_o

Says if you arent satisfied with the sound so I'm guessing ya since theres not realyl any other way to see what it will sound like with your guitar unless you install it.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by CorduroyEW
I still think there is a problem with your pickup. Even it it was wired in correctly that doesn't mean they wired the pickup correctly in the DiMarzio factory, or that 1 of the coils doesn't have a short, or that the magnet didn't get degaussed. Mistakes happen and I think you got a defective pickup. The Super Distortion will be a lot louder than the PAF Pro but a PAF pro should still be a lot louder than your run of the mill stock neck.

How about you send the pickup to me for a rewind. I'll do it free if you pay shipping.

Thanks for the offer but I think the easiest way is just to go straight to dimarzio with it and go for a completely brand new pick up. I'm just unlucky pickup wise i guess.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Made my tech look at it a second time and he forgot to connect a wire so. dimarzio all the way :P
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Page 1 of 2