Hey, ive been playing for around 2 years and seriously over the last 3 months. I got a band and me and the drummer would jam and were really good so i started to write some original material. I got a riff that kinda sounded like the "Fell in love with a girl" guitar riff but its different. well now we got a singer and we want to join the local band scene, but it turns out that most of the stuff ive written so far isn't the right style there looking for. They want a pop/punk/indie rock sound and im like...um ya i listen to zeppelin and steve vai. so ive been coming up with new stuff but i can't really get out of my classic rock sound. And i don't know what kind of bands to listen too to get get ideas of the kind of sound they want. This is the pretty much top band in our area. and when we watched them play they were like "we wanna play like this" so check out there myspace http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=82748724 and thats the kinda genre im trying to go for. I think they use alot of octaves but im not sure. Any tips on how to make the progressions more modern and less classic rockish please help
Ps. my first post on UG hope u guys can help
First off, why would you change your style to suit what other people want. If you don't want to play it or if you don't feel comfortable playing it, don't play it! Play what you love dude
omfg...where do you live? I wanna live where you do cause we play pop/punk/indie but they don't want that so much around here xD
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by mikerev
First off, why would you change your style to suit what other people want. If you don't want to play it or if you don't feel comfortable playing it, don't play it! Play what you love dude

Took the words out of my mouth.

---------------------------
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Dunlop Crybaby Original Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.
dayum, that's the best band in your area?

one guitar=power chords, other guitar=octaves that fit over the power chords.
If your reason for being in a band is to please other people then something is going wrong. Play music to have fun and share your fun with others, not have their fun imposed upon you...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by Shecter78787
Hey, ive been playing for around 2 years and seriously over the last 3 months. I got a band and me and the drummer would jam and were really good so i started to write some original material. I got a riff that kinda sounded like the "Fell in love with a girl" guitar riff but its different. well now we got a singer and we want to join the local band scene, but it turns out that most of the stuff ive written so far isn't the right style there looking for. They want a pop/punk/indie rock sound and im like...um ya i listen to zeppelin and steve vai. so ive been coming up with new stuff but i can't really get out of my classic rock sound. And i don't know what kind of bands to listen too to get get ideas of the kind of sound they want. This is the pretty much top band in our area. and when we watched them play they were like "we wanna play like this" so check out there myspace http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=82748724 and thats the kinda genre im trying to go for. I think they use alot of octaves but im not sure. Any tips on how to make the progressions more modern and less classic rockish please help
Ps. my first post on UG hope u guys can help

It honestly sounds like you're asking for help in dumbing down your music. Vai compared to modern pop is like comparing a supercomputer to a Gameboy, and really that comparison is not fair to the Gameboy.
The chord progressions in pop are almost laughably easy; if you really want to mimic that sound, just find three good power chords that sound good together and play them over and over again. I would stick to playing Vai dude. That's a guy that plays music for the love of music.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Dunlop Crybaby Original Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.
a few things, first im amazed that people responded to this in like 30 minutes lol Thank you. I do want to play that style. We play the old material, but they just asked if we could take it in a different direction and i said sure cuz i liked that style. Its like someone trying to compose a jazz piece but they are new to jazz. Also i want to know how to spice up simple chord progressions. and like how to make up different chord progressions. I know that sounds dumb but i don't really know how. Right now i just play power chords till i find sumthing that sounds good but defiantly not just 3 chords lol. Then i add some caged chords into it and just pretty much just make a verse and chorus. but all what i come up with pretty much sounds the same. Any ideas mayby playing a scale with single notes then like finding a catchy sequence and transferring it to chords. Im pretty new to songwriting so any tips will help
well, if you want to change your playing style (generally undadvisable) for what you said, learn musical theory. Its the only real way to understand chords and scales and all that stuff.

but really. lots of power chords. lots.
FOOTBALL IS THE SHIT
Ok when you think alternative/pop think jangly, make up your own chords, throw in some beat and a small solo in every song and bam alt rock,

some chord examples are:
em
am
g chords
and lots of power chords
Last edited by gibsonplayer92 at Jul 14, 2008,
thanks for the help guys, the newer stuff i came up with worked. They just wanted to play fast songs >< o well interesting metal licks are much more interesting than power chords Anyway how do i start a new thread lol i can't figure out how i started this one please help!!
why would you change for other people? im in a hard rock/metal band and we've been playin with pop/punk bands for about 2 years now. it doesnt matter what the scene is where you are, its about how good you are. plus people will remember you for being different.

also with the chord progression stuff, try just messing about. or make up chords. i do it all the time.
Stick with what you like and are good at. Don't ever let someone tell you what you should be. Be yourself and play the music you enjoy playing.