Alright so I've managed to get myself into a terrible habbit of not using my pinkey AT ALL xcept for chords. Now I can get by like this but I know I am shorting myself as guitarist. What exercises can I do to build pinkey strength and dexterity?
Thanks!
Quote by Slinov
1,2,3,4 exercise?

yeah thats your best bet
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
I have this problem to. I'm thinking of tying my little finger to my ring finger, and playing like that, to try and force it in to shape.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by Glimsom
I have this problem to. I'm thinking of tying my little finger to my ring finger, and playing like that, to try and force it in to shape.

that wouldn't really do anything as you aren't working on finger independence. all you'd achieve is making your pinky move to wherever your ring finger moved.
chromatic exercises are the only thing I can recommend. actually you could relearn songs you know whilst consciously making an effort to use the pinky where appropriate.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
that wouldn't really do anything as you aren't working on finger independence. all you'd achieve is making your pinky move to wherever your ring finger moved.
chromatic exercises are the only thing I can recommend. actually you could relearn songs you know whilst consciously making an effort to use the pinky where appropriate.

I'm just trying to build muscle strength in it. If I tie it with my other finger, I'll be using the muscle in my pinkey at the same time.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by TheEarthisFlat
Alright so I've managed to get myself into a terrible habbit of not using my pinkey AT ALL xcept for chords. Now I can get by like this but I know I am shorting myself as guitarist. What exercises can I do to build pinkey strength and dexterity?
Thanks!

If you can get by without using it then what's the problem?
Don't feel you HAVE to learn to use it just because it says so in some 'learn to play guitar' book...

Call me ignorant but it's just my opinion. Keep on playing as you do, and learning new songs and the chances are you'll start using it instictively anyway.
Quote by Glimsom
I'm just trying to build muscle strength in it. If I tie it with my other finger, I'll be using the muscle in my pinkey at the same time.

I just trill my pinkey when I'm bored and don't have a guitar to try and build up strength.
Facebook.com/Notafluke
Quote by Johnny Trash
Don't feel you HAVE to learn to use it just because it says so in some 'learn to play guitar' book...

Call me ignorant but it's just my opinion. Keep on playing as you do, and learning new songs and the chances are you'll start using it instictively anyway.

because it could limit you in the future. why not learn to use it? it's not like learning to use it could hinder you in any way.

Quote by Glimsom

but it won't be independent and you'll end up having to actively try and stop it from moving with your ring finger. a trill exercise would be better as someone else suggested.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Johnny Trash

It's like alternate picking. You find when you use it in the right places, it makes playing a lot easier and you're therefore less likely to make mistakes.
I used my pinky until some kid told me not to. So I quit. Well, half a year later, I had problems playing stuff, cause I hadn't used my pinky in so long. I started re-training my pinky by using the Paul Gilbert workout, and I would recommend it.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
play like

-----------------------
----------------------
--------------------
---------------2-4--- etc....
--------2--4-------
-2--4-------------

all up and down the neck with your middle finger and pinky (or you can do other pairs of fingers, over a larger number of frets for some stretches, add in some variations like skipping over a string, etc...)

amazing finger strength