I've been in a rut recently because I do not know what to practice anymore, so I decided i will work on my picking speed. I've been practicing gaining speed by doing scales on a metronome and increasing the speed whenever I feel comfotable with the current level. But i've been stuck at 1/8th notes at 150 bpm for about three weeks now...

is this just a wall I have to pass or am I just stuck? i've only been playing guitar for three months so that could have somthing to do with it.

besides scales, are there any good methods to increase picking speed? because its holding my fretting hand back.
get some bluessongs to learn.... guitarplaying ain't about speed, it's about feeling.
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
don't worry about your picking speed: it will come in time.. I've been playing for about a year and i can play really fast... maybe its the slipknot i play. anyways, just have fun. but if you really want to increase picking speed, just once everyday wail on the strings as fast as you can, 4 times each string for 5 minutes. this will work the muscles that make your hand pick. also search up some tips that will help you pick faster, like holding yiour pick at a slight angle towards you, to help the upstroke. it will all come in time.
FOOTBALL IS THE SHIT
It just takes time to build up speed and everyone's mind processes information at different speeds. You're looking at "a minimum" of a year to build super fast speed and as you have only been playing for 3 months you're on the right track.

Now for those that are always putting down speed, I ask why limit any of your technique? There are plenty of players who don't vibrato but that doesn't mean we should all skip vibrato. Technique is just the means to an end, and I think being limted in any way reduces your creativity overall.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Last edited by shredder.cheese at Jul 13, 2008,
How about hammer-on's and pull-off's? Have you been practicing these as well?

Just a thought.

Chris
Speed is a byproduct of steady practice, not necessarily a result. Also, gaining speed is a little like standing in the mirror and trying to watch your hair grow; you're getting faster every day, even if it may not seem like it.

Don't worry too much about short-term results, just keep doing what you're doing and the speed will come.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Garou1911
Speed is a byproduct of steady practice, not necessarily a result. Also, gaining speed is a little like standing in the mirror and trying to watch your hair grow; you're getting faster every day, even if it may not seem like it.

Don't worry too much about short-term results, just keep doing what you're doing and the speed will come.

Awesome response! Well said.

Chris
Firstly, move the metronome down alot, and concentrate on 16th notes instead of 8th notes, that'll help once you get the metronome up..

Secondly, start slow, and move your way up in chunks of 5 or 10 on the metronome. The smaller the increase the less you'll notice that it's faster, and so the more comfortable you will feel. Alot of speed is that your mind is convincing you that 'hey, that's really freaking fast.. how will I do that?"

So at somepoint you have to get into the mindset of "Thats actually kind of slow. No big deal." All in the mindset my friend, all in the mindset.

One way you can trick it, is set it up for about 10 bpm faster than what you can play, and try your hardest to keep up. After a while slow it down to just above what you could before, instantly your mind will start thinking "hey, this is alot slower, I can do that."

Good luck.