Page 1 of 3
Alrighty on this guitar i am planning on using strictly ameican grown domestic hardwood/soft wood. I am doing an oak body, hollowed out everywhere possible (heavy ****), with a pine top. birds eye maple fingerboard on a maple/oak neck. probably a strat style, with 3 single coils, string through bridge, chrome hardwear, etc. i am doing this to make certain that it isnt mahogany/rosewood/other gay exotic woods that sound the best. any ideas on wood/hardware?

If i end up using oak as the fretboard, i want to inlay the united states on the 12th fret, no im not patriotic, i hate it here, but its just for fun and some redneck will pay tons for it.
Quote by LP Addict
no im not patriotic, i hate it here, but its just for fun and some redneck will pay tons for it.

Whew. You had me worried for a little while.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
American guitar?

It will sound fat as hell.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Quote by LP Addict
yeah, i should probably make it really fat, and inlay a mcdonalds logo on it. that would actually be kind of cool.

Aren't you the comedian.
mmmk.
don't use oak as the fingerboard or neck. sure, its possible but its a very porous wood and probably not the best choice. I've seen an all oak neck before, it looked alright but maple is a much better wood for necks.

How do you hate the USA?
i have alot of reasons i choose not to discuss. oak is a great fingerboard wood, i know of a few guitars that had them with excellent results. i was oging to do an oak strip down the middle of the curly maple (western big leaf, usa grown ofcourse).
Instead of an Oak body, try using Walnut. It's actually a very good tonewood, but because it's so scarce the big companies can't possibly get enough to mass produce it. Some bass companies use Walnut, but there's probably 12 guitars made for every bass. Just a thought.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
You know that Mahogany isnt an exotic wood right? It grows in America.

Ever think about Iron Wood? you might be able to make a fretboard out of that.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by Christ Lover
hey **** you anti-americans.

That was kinda unnecessary...Anywho, I would love to see the birdseye maple fretboard. I love that stuff. Oak would kinda be plain correct? I don't like stuff hella plain but there is such a thing as too much figure. I was actually thinking about making a body out of oak but I'm not sure if it would be any good.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
how did you not predict all of the country arguements making a USA guitar? also isn't the north america inlay on the 12 fret a little much? like, even for a hick? maybe not...... good luck
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
HAHA
you do know that alder, swamp ash and maple are all found in the states in abundance.
I don't think I've ever seen pine used in a guitar. Could be interesting...
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by carousel182

How do you hate the USA?

Are you kidding? Hating the USA is easy. For kids these days, it's one of the coolest things you can possibly do when you're spoiled, read a few editorials, and have no real concept of the outside world except what you hear from your friends (who are also very cool) and the internet.

Putting sarcasm aside for a moment, I will say that being upset with an administration or a current political climate is healthy and often productive. Anti-Americanism (or anti-any country in general), however, is almost always the sign of a little mind. It reeks of oversimplification of the issues and pitifully ignorant generalization.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
very well put. i dont hate america because im a snobby teenage brat, ive been buying my own groceries since i was 16/17 for christs sake. ive been to a few other places, and would move to those places in a heart beat to get far away from here. the political/government aspects of this country have been scaring the **** out of me lately.
Dude. That sucks. I have a question. How do you have access to $XXXX worth of tools, when you have to buy your own groceries as a teenager?
Quote by FourSticks17
Are you kidding? Hating the USA is easy. For kids these days, it's one of the coolest things you can possibly do when you're spoiled, read a few editorials, and have no real concept of the outside world except what you hear from your friends (who are also very cool) and the internet.

Putting sarcasm aside for a moment, I will say that being upset with an administration or a current political climate is healthy and often productive. Anti-Americanism (or anti-any country in general), however, is almost always the sign of a little mind. It reeks of oversimplification of the issues and pitifully ignorant generalization.

Let me put you straight...I'm an American. Born and raised. I'm also proud of being American. I've felt for many years now that the American govt. and politics has brain washed a lot of people and also ruined people's lives. That is why I left the USA 6 years ago and I'm happily living in Europe in a country where there's free medical for any age, 5-6 weeks paid vacation for anybody working, the air and water are so clean, and many more great points. I'm not a snot nosed spoiled teenager. I'm a professional producer/musician and songwriter with my own business, a husband and father of two. I'm happy to hear when Americans admit there's a problem internally and want to "clean house". I wont even consider moving back until major changes are applied with having the American citizens in mind instead of "big business", oil, and war. Maybe Obama will be America's right food forward. I hope so. We desperately need it.
Isn't pine a softwood?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
Dude. That sucks. I have a question. How do you have access to $XXXX worth of tools, when you have to buy your own groceries as a teenager?

hahaha!

my tools :

65 dollars router
125 dollar drill press
5 dollar rasp
5 dollar file set
and about 50 dollars in bits.

the rest i have at work, where i help a man build the best rocking chairs in the world (look up Hal Taylor to see our work.)

I go there to glue things up, he has a million clamps, and to use his jointer.
Maybe Obama will be America's right food forward. I hope so. We desperately need it.[/QUOTE

I just read what I wrote. I meant "right foot forward" instead of food, but you could look at it with the pun intended as seeing how fat Americans have become...
not to get off topic, but I've visited a bunch of places and the U.S. is by far the best place. No matter who you are and what family you are born into you have the opportunity to make a good living. We are free to say anything we want, and elect our government. You'd have to be crazy to not like that.

oak would be a pain because of all of the grain filling, and its a splintery wood. I think maple definitely has the edge because of its feel.
Quote by carousel182
not to get off topic, but I've visited a bunch of places and the U.S. is by far the best place. No matter who you are and what family you are born into you have the opportunity to make a good living. We are free to say anything we want, and elect our government. You'd have to be crazy to not like that.

you can do that in other places too and maybe that isn't what he dislikes about the country he lives in.

oak would be a pain because of all of the grain filling, and its a splintery wood. I think maple definitely has the edge because of its feel.

the only person I've heard of using Oak with any sort of success is Brian May. And I can't see the pine being a good tonewood. At least this guitar will be different
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
^pine is a great tonewood actually, I dont think that he shouldnt use pine, but I cant say im a fan of oak.
@ Dreamality: Haha man, do you live in Sweden or something? Your description was very fitting :p

A lot of americans seem to think that freedom of speech and job opportunities are only available in america and the rest of the world is just a big, jealous mob of primitive drones, communists and terrorists with corrupt governments.

I'd say Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Greece and a few more european countries are infinitely more successful than america as far as human rights, freedom of speech, environmental actions, crime rates and education goes.

Bush once said: "You're either with us, or you're with the terrorists!", i.e. taking away his people's most basic and fundamental right when it comes to democracy: the right to criticize your government. He wouldn't have it.

In Sweden we have high taxes, some of the highest in the world. As a result, almost everything related to health care and education is practically free, important insurances are included in the taxes, and there are tons of opportunities to seek funds for various reasons, because the government can afford it. Due to that, poverty and homelessness is very uncommon, and pretty much any kid can get the education he/she wants without having to suffer from the parent's financial mistakes.

In america you can live a good life and make tons of money until you need surgery, then you're broke and die poor. Goodie.

- edit - Sorry for hijacking the topic, I'll delete this post if it causes too much spam. Cheers!
Last edited by Aziraphale at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by LP Addict
i have alot of reasons i choose not to discuss.
You realize that one of the greatest things about this country is that you're allowed to take a 1-way ticket out of here any time you'd like.
Wow...I just looked up Hal Taylor. They were soo amazing. Even just a quick look amazed me. I love the World Peace Sticks too
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
Quote by Aziraphale

In Sweden we have high taxes, some of the highest in the world. As a result, almost everything related to health care and education is practically free, important insurances are included in the taxes, and there are tons of opportunities to seek funds for various reasons, because the government can afford it. Due to that, poverty and homelessness is very uncommon, and pretty much any kid can get the education he/she wants without having to suffer from the parent's financial mistakes.

In america you can live a good life and make tons of money until you need surgery, then you're broke and die poor. Goodie.

- edit - Sorry for hijacking the topic, I'll delete this post if it causes too much spam. Cheers!

Well here comes some spam:

Take a peak at the phrases I have highlighted and try to deny that doesn't reek of communism. What you have just extolled as being something great and praise worthy is actually a nefarious twist on what the rest of the world calls "redistribution of wealth". Sure little Johnny can go to whatever school he wants and his mom and dad can pound down all the prescription medications they want, because they get it from the "government". Do you know where they are REALLY getting the money to pound down pills and send their kids to prestigious institutes?

They are getting the money right out of your back pocket! How does it make you feel to know you live in a country where the hard working men and women are paying for the slackers to chill out on government run health and educations programs? What if you work hard? Will it matter in your country? Nope, you'll get taxed and the money will go to improving the lives of people who aren't willing to work like you do.

Three cheers for liberty, equality, and justice for you, dude.

To the TS: Sounds good! I like the idea of the 12th fret inlay, I can't wait to see this project get rolling.
Last edited by lumberjack at Jul 14, 2008,
Do you have the tools to make such a intricate inlay TS? It would definitely be hard but awesome.
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
You know, I saw the title of this thread and thought "Finally, someone who thinks enough of this country to build a guitar from domestic woods so it can literally be 'Made in America'!"...But then after reading through, it I didn't bother reading it all, because it was just a huge let-down. Just another group of people saying why we suck and they don't. Gee, thanks.

Let's stop bashing other peoples' countries, alright? It's very immature and just plain spam.
You know what I'm starting to hate about UG? There's a bunch of dumbasses who feel the need to derail every thread with the word "America" in it and make it some stupid debate about whose country is better. This is not a political debate thread, it's LP Addict's build thread, so how about you start talking about his guitar instead of which government is reaming its people the most.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Well, this thread made me think of my guitar:

http://www.metropolislakeoutfitters.com/guitar/custom.jpg

http://www.metropolislakeoutfitters.com/guitar/custom2.jpg

http://www.metropolislakeoutfitters.com/guitar/custom3.jpg

http://www.metropolislakeoutfitters.com/guitar/back.jpg

http://www.metropolislakeoutfitters.com/guitar/head1.jpg

http://www.metropolislakeoutfitters.com/guitar/head2.jpg

You can be classy with American woods. That walnut came out of a locally grown tree right here in western Kentucky. That maple may have came from Canada though, I'm not sure... I've got flamy maple in logs from my own back yard, but maple is harder up there and better for guitars. Those tuners were built by an old machine shop in New York. That ebony definitely didn't come from the states though.

So, yeah, walnut. Oak is notorious for being crappy for guitars... very porous, very few people use it, especially on a fretboard. Actually I've never heard of a walnut fretboard either, but it's a little more mainstream on guitars.
cool idea. should be an interesting build, and help not cut down rain forests or pay **** tons in gas getting it over here .

im interested to see how this goes, and im supprised its not a tele tbh

edit: america is in termoil, we've got our fair share of problems that people seem to enjoy overlooking because of our freedom. its understandable though. some can deal, some cant. the great thing about being american, your aloud to speak your mind without(at least you should be able to) fear of repercussion. to censor someones ideas is more un-american than to have opposing views of americans current status quo.
Last edited by chris024 at Jul 14, 2008,
I really like the idea of trying to make it with more unorthodox woods, it should be really interesting to see how it sounds.

How much cheaper are the woods that the usual mahogany/maple etc.?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
man i hope this thread can continue as a build thread and not get locked due to a bunch of immature arguments loosely (like paris hilton loose) based on something the thread starter said IN PASSING because someone asked. if i may so bold i think its fair to assume lpaddict just wants to share a guitar he wants to build with us, so if the rest of you need to bitch at each other about america and democracy and whos shlong is bigger because they know more about government, i think you should go do it in a different thread, or better yet, just save yourself the time and effort and bang your head on the desk a couple times, it'll give you the same result.

so, ahem, to rerail this thread if you will, LP, have you officially decided to use the redwood? i still vote thinline, but any tele would work great as it seems like the flame on that piece you have follows the shape of a tele perfectly. let us know whats going on!
Page 1 of 3