I recently bought a mesa boogie 5:25 and i'm loveing it with my bridge pickup (super distortion) but my neck pick up sounds very bland and boring and silent almost. Its a Dimarzio PAF PRO I had professionally installed. I was wondering if it was normal to be able to crank the PAF to over 6/10 on the mesa and still have it at a bedroom level where the super distortion reaches the same volume at about.... 2/10? Might be the pickup im not sure. The Super distortion does better cleans then the PAF even when I roll dow nthe volume so I'm thinking about replacements. Any ideas? I was thinking another super distortion, SD SH-2, Dimarzio breed or air norton type thing. I want something that will let me switch to the neck position without losing 2 thirds of my volume and I dont like turning the guitars volume down on the bridge pickup to even it out, changes the pups tone IMO. So any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
I'm not sure, but I think maybe there's something wrong with it. The super distortion is higher output, but I don't think it would make that much difference.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
ive had this happen before. Its all personal preference on pickups. I'm big on what my pickups sound like. And have different ones for different moods. My main reason for having multiple guitars. Although i mostly play through the same amp. Where as people here tend to think pickups dont really make a damn when they do.
Quote by solidsnake15
ive had this happen before. Its all personal preference on pickups. I'm big on what my pickups sound like. And have different ones for different moods. My main reason for having multiple guitars. Although i mostly play through the same amp. Where as people here tend to think pickups dont really make a damn when they do.

Have you ever experienced such a massive difference of volume?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
So what pickup would have slightly less output and good in a neck position?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
It sounds like you either have a shorted coil in your neck pickup, it's wired wrong, or it's adjusted way too low. A short somewhere els in your wiring or a bad soldering joint could do it to.

The PAF pro won't be as loud as the super distortion but it shouldn't be *that* different either.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
It sounds like you either have a shorted coil in your neck pickup, it's wired wrong, or it's adjusted way too low. A short somewhere els in your wiring or a bad soldering joint could do it to.

The PAF pro won't be as loud as the super distortion but it shouldn't be *that* different either.

Ah I'll try to take it in for repairs soon then. Thought something was up like forsaknazrael was saying as well. When you try to use both pickups at once is it reasonable to hear both pickups at the same time even if they have different outputs because the distortion eats the paf alive in middle :P Are epiphone les pauls that difficult to wire correctly? wow.. so much for trying to use a professional to be on the safe side.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by CorduroyEW

This is so true, I loved the sound of my neck pickup, but the lack of an equal output to my bridge pickup annoyed me so I raised it up a lot. Now I get 10x better tone and the output is the same. Silly mistake, often overlooked.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
This is so true, I loved the sound of my neck pickup, but the lack of an equal output to my bridge pickup annoyed me so I raised it up a lot. Now I get 10x better tone and the output is the same. Silly mistake, often overlooked.

Right now I hate the sound of my neck pickup, its weak and toneless. Raising it might help? I dont see why such a high quality pickup would sound bad so I'm guessing theres something wrong.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
^yes, raising it might help. Having the pickup closer to the strings is going to give you more power and more treble. If your problem was feedback or too much treble we would say lower it.
Not taking any online orders.