Hey all; I'm newly registered to this forum, but I've been hanging out reading topics for quite some time.
Anyways, I'm trying to expand my options a bit, and I figure what I need right now is a new amp (right now I just have an old 30 watt cube - okay for practice, but not much else )
I'm not currently in a band, but I hope to be in one soon, so I don't want to buy something that'll turn out to be insufficient or a piece of crap...I've heard a good rule of thumb is to go for twice the wattage of your guitarist(s) so you can cut through; is that about right? Maybe around 300 watts?
I haven't exactly decided on a price range, but I'd prefer not to spend all my coin on a bass amp...maybe around $600.
I'm sort of new to bass amp buying though, so I don't really know if you can get a piece of quality equipment for that price; I'm also not that knowledgeable of the ups and downs of various amplifier brands.

Thanks in advance guys
what kind of music do you play?
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Try some SWR's and Ampeg's, if you're looking for 300 watts you will most likely have to go with a half stack, in which case try some hartke and gallien-krueger cabs, this will probably go outside of $600 probably towards 700 or even 750 but you will have an excellent setup
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I also recommend ransacking wherever funkbass369 keeps his gear as its probably what you might end up
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Okay, thanks for the tips so far...anything else?
Also, how different are 1x15 and 4x10 cabs, besides the price?
1x15 are boomier and have heavier lower end, 4x10 is punchier, emphasizes mid-frequencies, percieved as louder by the human ear- theres a lot of good information in the bass FAQ
Thanks guys; I was checking out some of the Ashdown MAGs, and the MAG 410T looks pretty good - what would be a good head to go along with it? Perhaps the MAG 300?
Quote by DJbonedog
Thanks guys; I was checking out some of the Ashdown MAGs, and the MAG 410T looks pretty good - what would be a good head to go along with it? Perhaps the MAG 300?

Well MF has the MAG 600 head for the same price as the 300 right now, so you may as well get that one. But try out the amps first.
So is it all right if I have an amp with a higher wattage than my cabinet?
Edit: and if I were to get the 600H head with the 4x10 cabs, I'd be able to run the 4x10s fine, and even get a 1x15 later on to round out my tone? Or would a 1x15 be better on its own until I could get a 4x10 cab?
Last edited by DJbonedog at Jul 14, 2008,
Carvin cabs, or heads?
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for an hour.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Both. The heads are cheap and pretty high quality with a lot of wattage behind them. They also have tone shaping options that you won't find on any other amp in that range. The cabs are basically workhorses with a lot of handling.
If your in a band you'll prob need something louder then that 30 watt amp

If your not that 30 w amp should be fine...
Ur lucky bass amps aren't so expensive as guitar amps *sighs*

P.s. can't spell bass without A.S.S
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
^ a bass amp is more expensive usually because you need a lot more wattage. Like everyone else said, a MAG would be a good choice.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
^ a bass amp is more expensive usually because you need a lot more wattage. Like everyone else said, a MAG would be a good choice.

Very very true.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
^Gallien-Krueger is also very expensive and the decent models are out of his price range.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Thanks a lot for all the help guys. Looks like I'm going for the MAG 600H head with a 410T cab. In the future when I have money, I'll probably add a 1x15 cab to it.

Cheers!
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for an hour.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.