I'm not planning on even touching any of this **** until the bill has been paid (I'm getting it shipped to me for cheap from as far as I can get it)... So I want a bunch of strangers on an internet forum to tell me what to get!

Also: What should I name my first born? I'm not really sure about a name, but I trust that your opinion would match mine.

Hohoho, I kid...

But I've secured a bass, and now I need a sturdy practice amp THAT WILL LAST A LONG TIME AND CAN BE USED FOR MANY THINGS...

The Specifications

- I'd like the keep the price at $300 (CDN) (I can go a little higher if need be)
- Should be loud enough for quiet/medium volume drummers
- Must have Line Out/Speaker Out/Headphone out capabilities
- STURDY IS KEY. (I need something that will NOT break down if I take good care)
- I plan on playing anything from Jazz to funk.. to even metal... to everything.
- I'd be pretty happy if the Pre-Amp could be good enough to be used forever and when (IF) I need to be louder, I can work it through a Power Amp.

P.S...

I WILL be trying everything you suggest and will not purchase anything until I've approved it myself.

P.P.S...

I've noticed that on Musiciansfriend (My catalog of things to look at) the bass amp specs look very confusing (I know very little about amps or electronics)... more so than the guitar amps (I'm a guitarist and this is likely because guitarists are ****ing morons)...
Last edited by roshjosh at Jul 13, 2008,
I'll be totally honest, I just did a quick check around and for $300 Canadian, you're not going to be getting much at all. Even a quiet drummer would overpower them. Is there any way you can save up some more, or are you in a bind and in the need of one now?
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
1) P.S. means post script, and it's P.P.S as in post post script, not post script script.
2) You won't get hardly anything that will deal with a drummer for $300. I spent about $450 for my Rumble and I'm way overworking it to keep up with a medium level drummer.
400 is the MAX I can spend... but 300 would be best.

I'd prefer not to save for more as I just started playing (I'm not bad, as I have the basics down from guitar for 5 years)...

Any reccomendations even if I can't find anything loud enough in that range?

Also: Yeah, I'm usually good with spelling/grammar and other things (acronyms included)... but the P.S.S/P.P.S slipped my mind...
Well, I suggest Rebecca if it's a girl or Clyde if it's a boy.

As for the amp, you'll have no chance of any good amps at that price, better to just get a crap one, then save up for a 150-300w combo that'll last you a good while.
I was just being a jerk, don't worry about it, if you value your sanity.

Also check out these for amps in your range:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-LA12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482037

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Five-Fifteen-15-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485040

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-MAX-115-Bass-Combo?sku=481445

Although I still say save up more, those are probably your best options.
There is a extremely slim chance you could get something in the used market, but with that budget its going to be extremely difficult. Even my used Ampeg B3158 (which I got for around that amount) barely can push above a drummer and I am looking for a bit of an upgrade soon, with more headroom.

Save the cash until you have about double that amount. Patience and saving will bring a better amp that will last you for many more years.
If you live in a large city, used on Craigslist is always a good option-
On Craigslist I got my SWR 4004 head and a Crate 410 cab for 250 dollars in great condition. Another option is playing higher end amps at a music store and then looking for those amps in your price range on ebay. Where do you live?
200 watts should get you over light and medium drummers. I say go for it, that's a pretty good deal.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Here are two that came up around toronto I'd reccomend investigating-

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/oak/msg/728362198.html

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/699486707.html

Whenever I've bought of craigslist the seller has always been happy to let me inspect and try out the equipment before buying, and you can usually haggle 20- 50 bucks of the price too

edit- the one you mentioned looked good too- and by the way I'd highly reccomnend looking for something with an xlr out
Last edited by mattocaster99 at Jul 13, 2008,