im generally broke so price friendly is preferable
also preferably a tube amp, i can get pedals if need be

right now ive got a squier strat and a washburn chicago series
with a fender frontman 15g amp
and a digitch hothead &rp50
and a crybaby wah
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
could go with a vox valvetronix and 1 ceramic, 1 alnico pickup.

Vox valvetronix has awesome metal and good cleans, and the ceramic is great for distortion, whil the alnico has warm cleans.
Last edited by restless_thrash at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by restless_thrash
could go with a vox and 1 ceramic, 1 alnico pickup.

what guitars have that stock?
Quote by guitardude34875
you could go for an Epiphone G-400 for your guitar, that neck pickup will be awesome for blues, think eric clapton cream tone. i think the peavey classic 30 can reach iron maiden distortion, and maybe a blackheart little giant will too, but you'll need an overdrive pedal.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Well, many many blues players have used Strats, and so does Maiden...
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Peavey Valveking, or a Peavey Classic 30 and an OD to boost the distortion
ohai little sig.
Get a Seymour Duncan cool rails for your neck pickup and a hot rails for the bridge
Cool rails is a nice warm bluesy pickup and hot rails is a high output distortion pickup. They fight right into a strat and are about 75 bucks each.
Quote by guitar_infidel
you could go for an Epiphone G-400 for your guitar, that neck pickup will be awesome for blues, think eric clapton cream tone. i think the peavey classic 30 can reach iron maiden distortion, and maybe a blackheart little giant will too, but you'll need an overdrive pedal.

I concur with this, but replace the bridge with a high-output umbucker (Dimarzio Super Distortion/PAF pro/Breed, Seymour Duncan Sh-6 Distortion/Sh11 Custom Custom/Sh4 JB)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Schecter is a good guitar to switch from blues to metal...maybe not for the price you are looking for though
Quote by restless_thrash
Vox valvetronix has awesome metal and good cleans, and the ceramic is great for distortion, whil the alnico has warm cleans.
Lolwut.

High-output pickusp like those with Alnico 8 magnets, active pickups, or ceramic-based pickups, are useless at this kind of level.

The only reason for having higher-output pickups is to drive an already maxed-out amp extra hard to create more overdrive. They are useless for pedal and pre-gain distortion, or if you are not maxing out your amp anyway.

When you're using amplifier pre-gain, pedals, or if you're just not maxing out the amp in the first place, then those types of pickups do nothing for you except reduce your volume range and kill your clean tone.

I wish people on here would understand this. I'm tired of seeing people suggesting active EMG pickups and similar for people who are playing in their bedrooms on a quiet solid state amp or some similar crap.

As far as the guitar/amp combo question goes:

For guitar, I'd go with something like a Les Paul or SG with double humbuckers, and maybe set it up to have coil taps so you can switch to singlecoil-type sounds. Really though, anything could do. A good solidbody with humbuckers would be your best bet though, I think. Perhaps consider something with mini-humbuckers or P-90 type singlecoils.

For amp, Vox Valvetronix if your budget is really on the lower end, or a Fender Super Champ XD if your budget can stretch a bit further. Pretty much the two most versatile small amps I've ever come across. Of course if you had a bigger budget then you could do even better, for for those on the cheap, it's hard to beat those two amps.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by restless_thrash
could go with a vox valvetronix and 1 ceramic, 1 alnico pickup.

Not really, the "metal" settings on my VOX AD30VT are not as great as you make them out to be, the tone's rather thin and lacks the grindy punch that metal is meant to have.
Quote by MOMOJUP
Stratocster with hotrail in bridge

+1

or an HSS strat, you are playing maiden after all..
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
I would go with a nice Fat Strat or a Jackson. those could handle anything. singles in the neck and middle for the bluesy stuff and a humbucker in the bridge for the heavy stuff.

as for amps, I have been hearing good things about the new Line 6 amps they have out (NOT THE SPIDER SERIES)

as for pickups, I would go with Dimarzio's or Seymour Duncans. they should be versatile enough for everything provided you have the right setup going.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Dave Gilmour
Well, many many blues players have used Strats, and so does Maiden...

Yeah. If you ask me, I think everyone should at least have one Strat no matter what the play.

Gotta love those Fenders
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
im a bit of a noob to be honest but im just going to jump on in anyway and say a prs se custom and a line 6 flextone. might be wrong though but i like the idea of it lol
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
HSS Strat, or Les Paul. Both great.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
get a jackson dk2 and swap out the neck pickups with some SD cools rails(or hotrails which are surprisingly good for blues) and maybe put a tb-4 in the bridge
what about peavy valvekings?
a freind of mine has a VK112 or something like that, and it sounds great, how expensive are they, ive never asked him
Quote by guitardude34875
$4oo new US.

If you decide to go VK right? Here are some UG'rs clips. I doubt they would mind. They can PM me if they do. Good stuff.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Sadistic+sponge/

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/sg622/

Youtube and the UG Search Bar can also be your frineds.

Do you have a total budget and what is your favorite band right now?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 16, 2008,
Quote by XianXiuHong
Not really, the "metal" settings on my VOX AD30VT are not as great as you make them out to be, the tone's rather thin and lacks the grindy punch that metal is meant to have.

Then you're doing it wrong. I use very low output pickups, and with nothing more than a tubescreamer can get enough gain to compete with Nile on the "Modern UK" setting.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!