I have a pretty unique picking style, at least thats what i'm told. most people hold the pick on the side of the first bone of their index finger, i hold it on the middle of the first bone like if you were holding the corner of a piece of paper. i've watched all my favorite shredders like paul gilbert, steve vai, alexi laiho, gus g. and zakk wylde who hold the pick the first way i said. does anyone do it the way i do and do you think i should try to change?
I used to hold it with my mid finger EVH style, but changed to the way you explained in the beginning, I find it much better.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
As for holding it, don't simply emulate what you see others doing. Hold your arm out to the side relaxed, all fingers relaxed. Look at what your hand looks like. Close your thumb and forefinger enough that they are touching, then slap a pick inbetween and there you have it!

Mine is sort of an inbetween of the two you described, but closer to the side of the forefinger. Do what requires the least amount of effort.
it's all preference
i hold it on thte tip of my indexi
just touching the nuckle with as little pick sticking out as possible and my other finger like to do hybrid stuff.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
go with whatevers comfortable.
There once was a chicken named Cluck.
He once was told that he sucked.
He tried to say something
but couldn't say nothing
and came up with "Cluckity-Fuck."

Peace out.
the main thing is with palm muting. i play metal and hard rock so there is a lot of up and down palm muting. if hold it the "correct" way then i can't get any speed. the upstrokes are very difficult.
Quote by skaterskagg1
the main thing is with palm muting. i play metal and hard rock so there is a lot of up and down palm muting. if hold it the "correct" way then i can't get any speed. the upstrokes are very difficult.

there is no correct way.
the correct way is subjective, it is whatever works best for you
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
there is no correct way.
the correct way is subjective, it is whatever works best for you

Hence his quotation marks around "correct". Because it is the most common way.

This topic is relevant to me, because I've always picked with my thumb holding the pick against the tips of my index and middle finger. It works good for me, but recently I've been trying to get in the habit of playing the "correct" way, because I heard its better for control... the thing is, I already have control with my way of picking... should I just keep picking the way I did? Or should I switch to the "correct" way?
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
^ I play like you to. Im wondering the same thing. I dont think im going to change it though. It moves around to much when I only use the index and i also like to hit upstroke artificial harmonics with the tip of my middle finger and downstoke ones with my thumb so I would have to relearn that technique as well.
I'm in the same boat as the topic creator. I've been playing for years, YEARS holding the pick between my thumb and "print' (where the fingerprint would be) on my first finger, making the pick parrallel to the string. But I just saw a video with my hero, Paul Gilbert, explaining his picking technique is between his thumb and the side of his first finger. I really like the sound that way gets, but it's going to take me forever to achieve that. I've also noticed it seems like every other guitarist plays holding that way. Is it worth it to change what I've had engrained in my head all these years?
Last edited by Reeven at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by Reeven
I'm in the same boat as the topic creator. I've been playing for years, YEARS holding the pick between my thumb and "print' (where the fingerprint would be) on my first finger, making the pick parrallel to the string. But I just saw a video with my hero, Paul Gilbert, explaining his picking technique is between his thumb and the side of his first finger. I really like the sound that way gets, but it's going to take me forever to achieve that. I've also noticed it seems like every other guitarist plays holding that way. Is it worth it to change what I've had engrained in my head all these years?

You also have to remember that Gilbert uses a very thin pick, usually a .60mm. It's much more difficult to not get as much extra string noise with a heavier pick than it is with a thinner pick. Personally, I would change my picking, but that's just because I've been doing it Gilbert's way for years. If you are comfortable with how you already play and cannot see any other downsides (other than that your guitar heros play differently), then by all means keep on doing what you are doing.

Oh, and Marty Friedman has quite an unorthodox picking style, and he's one of my favorite guitarist!
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Reeven
Is it worth it to change what I've had engrained in my head all these years?

IMO it'd be worth it if the way you are holding it now isn't a natural relaxed position for you. But then again I'm constantly changing my technique every day as I'm continually learning, so I'm quite used to having to strip down to basically ground zero and work my way back up.
If I understand all these post correctly, I guess I pick quite different as well. I accually hold the pick with my thumb and close to the tip of my middle finger. I've tried holding it different ways, but it just isn't comfortable for me. I'm sure I could get use to it, but I feel I have alot of controlle over my picking when I hold it the way I do, it's never once bothered me. Just because you don't hold it the same as everybody else dosn't mean that you have to change it. If you feel you're not comfortable, then by all means, do whatever feels best for you.
Quote by caraluzzo
Just because you don't hold it the same as everybody else dosn't mean that you have to change it.

No, you don't have to do anything. But there's a difference between doing something "comfortably" and doing something inefficiently but simply justifying it and saying "its what work's for me" only because you are so used to it and haven't experienced anything else. I can say "blondes are what works for me" but could be sadly ignorant and mistaken due to having never even seen or experienced the superiority of a brunette before.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 15, 2008,