I've been mulling over giving guitar lessons out of my dorm room this fall in college. I did it a bit last year, gave weekly lessons to one or two friends who asked me. Any advice on how i should go about it, charge per lesson ect. I was thinking about charging 5 or 10 bucks for each half hour. The biggest problem would be for people who don't own a guitar. Anyone who brings one to college usually already knows how to play relatively well. Any thoughts? I have an electric and an acoustic, so i guess i can just loan that out.
Last edited by DaveGilmour1189 at Jul 13, 2008,
£30/hr, vicious beatings for every wrong note played
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Tip: Students can't afford ****. I doubt you'd get many people if you charged. Especially seeing as students have to be reasonably tech savvy and so will just turn to the internet if you are going to charge.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Quote by darthteet
Tip: Students can't afford ****. I doubt you'd get many people if you charged. Especially seeing as students have to be reasonably tech savvy and so will just turn to the internet if you are going to charge.

yet another important issue. Although i know a LOT of people who get enough to cover 5 bucks a week.
How experienced are you? I wouldn't charge anyone over 10 dollars per 1/2 hour unless you can actually do something with a guitar.
Don't limit yourself to your dorm, you'll get more customers if you offer it around town. See if there is a guitar place that does lessons and ask about employment. You might even offer to travel (within reason) to the students house (and charge at least $20 an hour so you can cover expenses).
well we pay my teacher $15 for 30 minutes and hes a really good teacher. so it depends on how well you are teaching people
Quote by extrememetal94
I really hope I have a small penis.
buy a cheap clanker, when their fingers bleed it'll motivate them to buy a new one.
Proud owner of:
1981 Carvin X100B
1987 Strat Plus w/ DiMarzios
BBE Main Squeeze
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-7
Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah
pretty experience. Been playing for 5 years. I've taught lessons last year to a few girls and a few guys in my dorm, but they were either friends, or in the girls cases, hot and i didn't charge. One girl i gave steady lessons too asked me if i was going to start charge her now, to which i said no.

EDIT: and to the find a place to teach it i don't know. There's NO music shops around my campus. its a city college. There's a couple music shops and the music lessons places or very professional and probably won't host some bum college student. I could ask the music department if i could have a room or something to make it better.
Last edited by DaveGilmour1189 at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by Chobes
Just buy a cheap acoustic so you won't care if it gets messed up.

Yeah, this is a great idea. As you said, the ones who probably do brings guitars most likely know how to play. So, having a spare guitar would help for those who don't have one and are willing to learn. Also I would say $5-10 each half hour is porbably reasonable. My friend took lessons all school year for $15 each half hour and she actually didn't learn ****.
Quote by DaveGilmour1189
One girl i gave steady lessons too asked me if i was going to start charge her now, to which i said no as long as she had sex with me

fixed
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by DaveGilmour1189

and to the find a place to teach it i don't know. There's NO music shops around my campus. its a city college. There's a couple music shops and the music lessons places or very professional and probably won't host some bum college student. I could ask the music department if i could have a room or something to make it better.

my teacher just comes to my house. im not sure if you can do that though.
i dont really nkow the rules of colleges
Quote by extrememetal94
I really hope I have a small penis.
i think thats perfectly reasonable, just put up an add on the college noticeboard or w/e, im sure quite a few people would want to learn.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking