Page 1 of 7
I was wondering if you guys think atheists are too negatively discriminated in places like the U.K., the U.S.A., etc.

Even though I'm Christian, I do think Richard Dawkins is correct when he says that atheists are unfortunately one of the most prejudiced and discriminated groups in certain countries, and I can almost certainly say this is true in the U.S.

I don't think an open atheist, at least right now, could ever be elected president, regardless of their political views, and I do think many people wrongly associate them with low morality and in extreme cases, evil.

I was wondering what you guys think?

Also, I don't think this belongs in the religion thread, because it's not really about any religion.
Sadly, they are. I do not consider myself an atheist, but still, it's not right the way people treat them, and I find it ridiculous that the religious majority is so fearful of an atheist holding the office of President.
I've never found it to be a problem (well, except when I drunkenly wandered into what I thought was a house party and turned out to be a Christian Union meeting)

I wouldn't vote for anyone who claimed to be influenced by God. Who knows what they could do if they think the magic ghost told them to?
Although I agree with what you say, I still think this belongs in the religion thread because atheism is still technically a religion even though it's a lack-thereof.
There's some poll floating around out there that shows that Americans think that atheists, above all other demographics, are the "least American" and should be treated as such.

Looking for my India/Django.
I've not stumbled across a problem yet. But my Mum has told me it's probably best on the odd occasion to just write "Christian" instead of Atheist.

I won't like, but there you go...
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Being president and being Christian go hand in hand, it was pretty much set a standard when America formed imo..
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I don't think this is as bigger problem in the UK.

I know way, way more athiests than christians.
Certainly not on this site

But yeah I see what you're saying about the US. Other countries, I'm not sure.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by fretsonfire74
Although I agree with what you say, I still think this belongs in the religion thread because atheism is still technically a religion even though it's a lack-thereof.
It isn't a religion...
Quote by tr3nt
Being president and being Christian go hand in hand, it was pretty much set a standard when America formed imo..
Wrong. Oh so wrong.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
I've not stumbled across a problem yet. But my Mum has told me it's probably best on the odd occasion to just write "Christian" instead of Atheist.

I won't like, but there you go...

yea, same with me
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I believe they are. On a semi-related note, I have met some people who think I'm a bad person because I'm not a Christian.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Quote by tr3nt

America is supposed to be secular. It shouldn't matter what religion the president is, or anyone else for that matter.
i think the discrimination is caused by the sub group of atheists that feel that they need to constantly preach that there is no god. and some people dont realize that most find it as a personal belief, and dont feel the need to persuade others.
I thought it was worse with Christians getting discriminated rather than Atheists.
Where I live, there's only a handful of people in the whole year who are openly christian.
Quote by Aleene
I thought it was worse with Christians getting discriminated rather than Atheists.
Where I live, there's only a handful of people in the whole year who are openly christian.

Same where i went to school.
Quote by redwing_suck
There's some poll floating around out there that shows that Americans think that atheists, above all other demographics, are the "least American" and should be treated as such.

Is that a bad thing?? And personally, the ones who go door to door or are openly opposing religion aught to be hated and descriminated. Just like people who go door to door with a bible should be. I'm personally atheist and have never been "discriminated" against.
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II [Heavily Modded]
Hand-Built Jem Copy
Rouge RA-100

Amps:
Crate VC-50
Epiphone Studio 10

Pedals:
DigiTech Bad Monkey
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss Noise Suppressor
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Even though we are connected with the Church and Bishops have a seat by right in the House Of Lords, I definitely do not think atheists are discriminated in the UK, at all. With the exception of right wing fools moaning that the Government give Muslims an easy ride, there's loads of tolerance for both atheists and followers of religions in the UK and there's never been a problem with it.
Quote by halvix
i think the discrimination is caused by the sub group of atheists that feel that they need to constantly preach that there is no god. and some people dont realize that most find it as a personal belief, and dont feel the need to persuade others.

there are as many, if not more, religious people who preach than there are atheists. And they're the reason that atheists feel the need to explain their point of view.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I've never met an athiest who feels oppressed... and a lot of my friends are atheists. (I'm not just saying that in the stereotypical way, it's the truth.) The only flack they've gotten is from the extreme Christian groups. You know the ones, the ladies who are like "Repent now, before the Devil devours your soul!!" all the time.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
I highly doubt athesists are "oppressed," however I do believe in the freedom to express what you believe.
If you wanna see oppression, look at anyone who denies the major religion in developing countries.
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
I'm an atheist, and I've never experienced discrimination, mainly because I don't go around announcing to the whole world that I don't believe in a God. I have gotten into some heated discussions though with religious people, but whatever, I respected their views and they respected mine.

I do think that it is a problem though, and that it will only get worse.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
imo

those religous people are getting what they deserve

after hundreds of years of persecuting "different" people, i think it's time they had a taste of their own medicine

there's a reason why religious people persecute...it's not because of god...or their salvation...it's because they're afraid

i say

we give them something to be scared of

and just because it looks like christians are getting discriminated against...it's cuz you weren't around before the decline of McCarthyism

if you weren't a christian...you were a communist
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
i get **** all the time for not beleiving in god. I dont see why its such a big deal to not, but apparantly when you are a beleiver it is a big deal.

its tough having a religious gf
Quote by kaosfire
i get **** all the time for not beleiving in god. I dont see why its such a big deal to not, but apparantly when you are a beleiver it is a big deal.

I don't have a girlfriend, and haven't had a religious one, but I go to a Christian school. It wouldn't be too bad if they didn't try to ram the bible down your throat at every opportunity. I thought they were meant to respect other religions/beliefs.
This is a pretty interesting topic. Of course white male christians will always hold the majority of political power in the u.s. even though it really shouldn't matter. But i think assuming that people should be more tolerant of atheists kinda goes hand in hand with the quote from men in black(random but true) when tommy lee jones is explaining to will smith why people dont know that aliens exist he says "a person is intelligent, but people are panicky, fearful, paranoid.." something along those lines..
Quote by kaosfire

That sucks, my girlfriend's an atheist like me.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I haven't experienced discrimination except being told I do believe in god and I'm lying to look cool.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I guess you could call me a devout protestant. i don't believe in abortion or evolution. i don't think that an athiest president should hold office. i'm often discriminated because of my faith, especially in my rock band, because everyone in my band is an atheist, and they're all outspoken about bringing my friends down, especially those really close to me, who happen to go to my church. I've been called "godfreak" and all kinds of crap, but honestly i don't care.

By the way, im quitting that band tomorrow, im sick of their crap, and it was originally a classic rock band, gone metal, which really sucks.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by guitar_infidel
I guess you could call me a devout protestant. i don't believe in abortion or evolution. i don't think that an athiest president should hold office.

why shouldn't an atheist hold office? surely their political beliefs and policies should be more important than what they do or do not worship.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Has anyone else noticed though a recent spike in atheism and agnostics? I know lots of people who are starting to question the existence of a God, and it got me thinking, are they doing it to be "cool," or is our generation slowly starting to lose their faith in a supreme being. What say's you all?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Maybe in America, I can't say i've ever experienced or seen that here. And Scotland has a very strong presbyterian tradition.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Lemoninfluence
why shouldn't an atheist hold office? surely their political beliefs and policies should be more important than what they do or do not worship.

Because people can see discrimination when its towards them, but never see anything wrong when they are the ones doing it.
Quote by stackedxactor
imo

those religous people are getting what they deserve

after hundreds of years of persecuting "different" people, i think it's time they had a taste of their own medicine

there's a reason why religious people persecute...it's not because of god...or their salvation...it's because they're afraid

Wow, ok. So Christians that did none of this persecuting years ago, and that weren't alive then, deserve to "pay" for this?

Wow, I'm going to go beat up Germans now.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by kaosfire
Because people can see discrimination when its towards them, but never see anything wrong when they are the ones doing it.

You speak as if atheists would ban all churches or something.
Quote by The Virtuoso
Has anyone else noticed though a recent spike in atheism and agnostics? I know lots of people who are starting to question the existence of a God, and it got me thinking, are they doing it to be "cool," or is our generation slowly starting to lose their faith in a supreme being. What say's you all?

i say its just a thing in our generation.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by The Virtuoso

I'll admit I was doing it to be cool back in 8th grade. But now almost 4 years later I literally completely forget that all my friends are still christian. And the whole idea of religion seems so silly now.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by The Virtuoso

i wouldnt say its a spike in terms of this year or anything like that but i think as the world continues and we become more accepting of people, religions taht ARENT tolerant will become less and less popular as people question why society accepts people, yet religions dont