So I'm new to the bass, [4 months and running] and I've grasped on pretty well so far.
I originally started playing with a pick, since I had no guidance otherwise and eventually moved to finger playing.

I grasped onto finger playing extremely fast, and play better that way now, until a problem came up =/

Recording a song a week ago, we realized that my E String recorded at a much greater amplitude than my higher A D G strings... I thought initially it was my brand new schecter custom bass, or maybe the levels, but today i realized [while recording] its me.

Turns out, when I finger pluck [or whatever the term for it is] I push down the the E, but pull up on the other strings, I guess by doing this I'm not getting the same amp. of the sound because of the location of the pickups and the way implucking the string...

Simple solution, push down on the strings while playing... well yea, but I cant seem to do it without playing incredible sloppy.
Normally I rest my thumb on the top of my pickup, and just let my fingers dance between the strings, but apparently I cannot do this anymore to fix the problem

Any suggestions?

Do I need to just focus on muting the other strings and pushing down when I pluck, or is there a way to position my hand..

Youtube didn't help =/

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

Thanks

-DC
You want to play lightly with your right hand - sort of roll your finger off of the string rather than push it into the bass hard and then release. Practice playing very evenly on each string. In the studio you can use a compressor to tidy it up, but I'd suggest avoiding leaning on compression.
In doing so, playing gently or very soft, I still end up having a massive amount of difference between my E and the rest of the strings... I can correct it by altering the direction i pluck the E string, but then i'd end up having to turn my volume up a lot lol.

I'm going to see if i can take a video really quick and put it up...

edit: i dont think i can put anything up =/

but I think the problem could be my playing on the E string...

Should my wrist me arched while playing the E string, it is when I play A D G

When I play, i think the best way to describe it is...

With the E, I pull the string towards me [towards the pickup]
all the other strings, I pull upwards...

Should I be pulling the E upwards as well, or all the other strings towards the pickup? lol
Last edited by .oxygen at Jul 13, 2008,
It could be that the E string is nearer the pickup - either that side of the pickup is raised or the action on that string is lower. That can make a big difference to the volume.

It could also be that your amp has the bass turned up or is very bassy sounding - you could EQ to compensate
rest your thumb on the e string whil playing the a string and so on. You're muting the e and can pluck the a harder without sloppy sound
When I play, i think the best way to describe it is...

Should I be pulling the E upwards as well, or all the other strings towards the pickup? lol

edited that in before...
I think that explains pretty well.

I think I'll get my pickups checked tomorrow also, since im going to the music store anyway...

And I dont think its the levels, since we changed them a million times trying to see if that was the difference.
Quote by .oxygen
Ah, I understand. That does make a big difference. Try and play the E string the same way and get into that habit.

I'm guessing that you usually rest your thumb on the E when you're playing except when playing the E - try anchoring on a pickup when you're playing the E and see if it evens out your playing a bit.
I throw this quote around a lot, but practice is the process of solving problems. Your ability to solve problems will be equal to the stregnth of your desire, awareness, and understanding. That being said, you just need to practice.

You're aware of the problem, you understand how you can change it, and you want it to change. All that's left is to do it slowly, concentrating on what your fingers are doing, until you develop the muscles and technique needed to fix it. Don't be in a rush, it'll come as long as you work at it.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
mm, all the help is appreciated

To answer SMB, I rest my thumb on the pickup for all the strings... i don't rest it on the E at all.

I also just tightened my pickups a little bit, IDk how loose they are supposed to be, but they were certainly tighter on the screw under the highest string, and about a few milimeters of leway under the E string.