Is this a good Tube amp? Are the cleans good? I play surf, blues and rock, so there you go.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
yea, good amps. You might want to look at the v33-212 or the peavey classic 30 aswell.
Which has the best surf tone?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Well im not to sure what "surf" defines, a good clean channel? idk, just try out the amps.
Good spring reverb is what I meant.
Quote by chip46
I don't think the V-series, or any crate to come to mind is ideally suited to surf. The palomino would do blues and rock, the v series would do more modern rock tones. For surf you ideally get a fender but I'm assuming that's out of the question.

What's your budget like?
It's up to $600.
Quote by chip46
I want a tube amp by the way.
Quote by chip46
Being that it has 2 6L6 power tubes it is more American voiced making it ideal for surf and blues. Having a gain channel makes hitting a lot of rock tones easy.. The V33 and C30 use EL84's so they are more British voiced. Not ideal for surf but good for both blues and rock. Try them both but I think you would rather go V50, it's a poor man's fender basically.

Edit: I liked the reverb. I have a decent fender that I compared it to.
You think it would, that other guy told me it wouldn't
Quote by chip46
Vox Valvetronix AD100VT 100w tubelike tone?
Quote by chip46
Exactly which beach town? I'm pretty adept at finding steals...

Edit: That Vox, no... I wouldn't go Vox for surf.
Virginia Beach.
Quote by chip46
The Fender Reverb series would be best, but you'd have to look used. Or an Ampeg Reverberocket or Jet, maybe.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
http://easternshore.craigslist.org/msg/721503961.html Best I could find in your area. May be sold but that is worth a look.
The only thing I would want on a V50 for surf would be Vibrato. Being a surf guy I didn't check to see if you had that in a pedal. But for 399? I don't think you will find better new amp. E-bay may be the way to go for a decent fender with vibrato.
I can't use Ebay, too much trouble, would the V50 work for surf?
Quote by chip46
IMO, with a vibrato pedal, yes it would. Slats, your thoughts? (thinking price range).

Edit: Considering the next post. Yes, a good used fender won't decrease in value whereas the Crate would. I haven't tried the Ampegs you listed, but every Ampeg I see used is well.. $900 or more. I liked the V50 a lot when I tried it. My used Vibroverb was $525, but a rare score at that. I think he should keep his eyes open longer on the craigslist site for a good fender.

A used Delux Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb would be ideal.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 13, 2008,
I haven't played the new V50. I know it's supposed to be a "poor man's Fender," but if that's what I was after, I'd get a used Hot Rod before I got the Crate. I mean, I found my Deluxe Reverb for $400. There are deals out there. You really want kick ass spring reverb for surf type sounds. That's why I suggested the Ampegs as an alternative. I'd really scour the used market before I settled for the Crate. The thing with a used amp is that it will hold it's value, or it's value will even go up. Meanwhile, that Crate'll be worth less than $300 by the time you get it home from the store.

Just a thought.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
You're getting fantastic advice from slats. The Ampeg Reverberocket would be perfect, as would a good fender. You can get a lot more bang for your buck used, so keep an eye on craigslist.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Ok, thanks.
Quote by chip46