View poll results: Gibson or Epiphone?
I would buy the epiphone
10 56%
I would buy the gibson
8 44%
Voters: 18.
Heya,

So I'm looking for a 2nd guitar.

I've seen videos of the epi and gibson both being played, and I really don't notice much of a difference (if any) in the sound.

I can get an epi for about 600, and the gibson for about 2400.

Is it really worth it to fork out the extra 1800 bucks to be able to see the word "gibson" on the headstock?

I know that there surely are some handcrafting and quality issues that the epiphone lacks, but if I'm just gigging and playing songs, I really don't see too much at stake here.

The guitar will be run through a peavey 6505+ amp with an Avatar G212custom cab (hellatone 60l's).

What do you guys think? Pay cash for the epi...or make the payments on the gibby?
07' Gibson LIMITED EDITION Classic w/Emg's (replaced with Blackouts)
Jackson RR3
Peavey 6505+ Head
CryBaby
Ibanez TS9DX Tube Screamer
ISP DECIMATOR
MXR-10 EQ

www.myspace.com/dispozal
If you can't notice the difference, then the Epi should be fine. What model are you talking about, by the way? Les Paul or SG?
Quote by crust_punk
If you can't notice the difference, then the Epi should be fine. What model are you talking about, by the way? Les Paul or SG?

Les Paul
Jackson RR3
Peavey 6505+ Head
CryBaby
ISP DECIMATOR
MXR-10 EQ

www.myspace.com/dispozal
same color epi or gibson...the lifelong question for guitarists of this era. Well all I can really say is that the community is pretty much split so you'll tend to get equal answers, so my reccomendation is to literally go to a guitar center or something of the like and try out both on a similar amp and then make the decision. We don't know what your financial situation is like so if you really like the gibson, the choice will be yours to make.
go and try out a few of each of them...if you think the Epi you picked up plays as well if not better then a gibson, buy the Epi and put in some new pickups and/or tuners. THere are some damn fine Epis out there.

However, the LP you try may be phenomenal. Depends on what you find.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by Calgary_Rocker
Heya,

So I'm looking for a 2nd guitar.

That statement there is the crux of this matter.

Quote by Calgary_Rocker
I can get an epi for about 600, and the gibson for about 2400.

Is it really worth it to fork out the extra 1800 bucks to be able to see the word "gibson" on the headstock?

In a word, no.

Quote by Calgary_Rocker
I know that there surely are some handcrafting and quality issues that the epiphone lacks, but if I'm just gigging and playing songs, I really don't see too much at stake here.

Yeah, that's basically it.

Quote by Calgary_Rocker
What do you guys think? Pay cash for the epi...or make the payments on the gibby?

Just get the Epiphone, they're still solid guitars, and you said yourself that you're looking for a 'second guitar'. Paying $2400 for a 'second guitar' is a bit of an extravagance. I myself own a £2,000 (or $4,000 USA) Gibson Les Paul Limited Edition, and it's really not that much better than my £250 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. It's like.. a bit better. The Epi is a very quality guitar, which I wouldn't be embarrassed about going on stage with or anything.

Yeah, it's nice having a Gibson, but to be honest, I think you'll be disappointed with it, and I think you could do without the debt. Go for the Epiphone. It'll be a great guitar as is, and should you want to, you could always mod it with new pickups and what not.
I just recently purchased the Epiphone Les Paul Standard and I'm extremely satisfied with it and I'm sure you will be too. Epiphones are made overseas for cheap labor and Gibsons are made right here in America and it reflects in price. Epiphones aren't crap, but they aren't Gibsons. I'm pretty sure Gibson has better quality standards. I don't know, most of the time with guitars you get what you pay for. If you have money and plan on playing the guitar for a long time go Gibson, if your on a budget but want a pretty good guitar go Epiphone.
Dude, you could go for the epi or gibson, or make a custom LP for 1400 bucks at warmoth. Sure its a bolt on neck, but you can use the best quality woods and electronics to make your guitar sound more alive than a gibby or epi.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Thanks Guys.

I think that I'm just going to go with the Epi, and throw some grover tuner's in it with Duncan Blackouts.

I was going to throw the blackouts in my Jackson RR3, but I just want a 2nd guitar for onstage as we change tunings in songs (and the Jackson is a bitch to tune with the floyd rose).

Gibson is way too much for me right now, and I think the epiphone sounds good, but will be better for my style of music with the blackouts.

Awesome!
Jackson RR3
Peavey 6505+ Head
CryBaby
ISP DECIMATOR
MXR-10 EQ

www.myspace.com/dispozal