Why do Fender still faff around with 21 fret necks? Surely they know that no-one is going to be put out by the extra fret of a 22 fret neck? It's no big deal, I'm just wondering. I want to get a MIM Fender, but they all have 21 fret necks. Which is a bit crap.
because unless your neck is PERFECTLY intonated, anything above the 20th fret sounds like ass. other than that, i have no idea, and prefer fenders that have 22 frets

edit: and have you noticed how friggin hard it is to reach something that high on a fender? its just not cool
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Last edited by spiderjerusalem at Jul 13, 2008,
Any reason why you need a 22-fret neck? Be a man and use a glass slide!
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Use that high E, don't go high on lower strings when you can bend that little screamer. Look at some Les Paul users, or Hendrix, they probably used the highest fret on their guitar once or twice in their stuff, sure if you're one of those arpeggio lovers you can brag about it, but surely a strat's not for you. Oh an by the way, with one lesser fret the frets are larger-spaced, no big thingy exept that it puts you on the good side of the 'fret buzz natural preventing' if you like a low action setup on your guitar.

Have a nice day !
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by Gäbe
Oh an by the way, with one lesser fret the frets are larger-spaced, no big thingy exept that it puts you on the good side of the 'fret buzz natural preventing' if you like a low action setup on your guitar.

please dont be stupid. the space in between frets does not change with the number of frets, it would only change if the scale length was changed, which is a constant 25.5" with fenders
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
1) I play shred on a Les Paul, so the high-fret access of a Strat is really not going to give me any challenge!
2) I intonate all my guitars really well. Intonation is not an issue for me.
3) As I understand it, the only difference between the 21 and 22 fret Fender necks, are that the 22 neck has a little overhang out of the neck pocket, which the 22nd fret sits on. The scale length of the guitar is not changed, and thus, fret spacing is not changed.

I think they should just do away with the 21 fret necks. It's really minor, but it's annoying. I would miss that one extra note. Yeah you could bend up to it if you're playing blues, but not in the middle of a shredding run. And before anyone says- yes I know Malmsteen's Strat only has 21 frets. I don't care. I still think 21 fret necks should be blasted in to the sun, never to return.
Quote by Martin Scott
1) I play shred on a Les Paul, so the high-fret access of a Strat is really not going to give me any challenge!
2) I intonate all my guitars really well. Intonation is not an issue for me.
3) As I understand it, the only difference between the 21 and 22 fret Fender necks, are that the 22 neck has a little overhang out of the neck pocket, which the 22nd fret sits on. The scale length of the guitar is not changed, and thus, fret spacing is not changed.

I think they should just do away with the 21 fret necks. It's really minor, but it's annoying. I would miss that one extra note. Yeah you could bend up to it if you're playing blues, but not in the middle of a shredding run. And before anyone says- yes I know Malmsteen's Strat only has 21 frets. I don't care. I still think 21 fret necks should be blasted in to the sun, never to return.

i think that if you play shred, get a guitar made for shred
i.e. Jackson Soloist
I don't know why Fender prefers 21 fret necks. My best guess is that 21 fret necks just became a tradition for the company. I know it sounds like a stupid reason to keep making all their guitar necks with 21 frets, but think about all the Fender marketing schemes. All of them swirl around tradition. That's my guess at least.
Rudeboy out!

P.S. I think Warmoth makes Fender replacement necks with 22 frets.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
get it, then shovel out the 150 bucks for a warmoth 22 fret replacement neck if it really inhibits you that much. speaking of shred, Eddie Van Halen's guitars had 21 frets, and he had no problem shredding with one.

but seriously, i'm with you here; i wish fender would make some 22 fret strats that wouldn't cost over a grand. is the extra fret THAT much more expensive? i think it should (at the very least) be an option of 21 or 22.
The reason they still use the 21 fret neck is many still want the traditional strat. Just because you dont like it and think it should be shot into the sun doesnt mean many many others do. If you gotta have the extra fret then you will need to buy a nontraditional strat.
its cos fender is stupid and makes **** guitars that are completely useless for anything that sounds good
jk btw i guess its to do with the tradition thing, and most people who play fenders that i see just play open chords on the first 3 frets all the time (i hate popel like that) if you really want the 22nd fret and a strat shap LTD make a strat with 22 frets i think.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by Tackleberry
The reason they still use the 21 fret neck is many still want the traditional strat. Just because you dont like it and think it should be shot into the sun doesnt mean many many others do. If you gotta have the extra fret then you will need to buy a nontraditional strat.

Ditto. If they're still making 21 fret guitars there's a reason.
They are making both as I stated earlier. End of thread. If you don't believe me go to their web site and look up the specs on a new American Strat. Or look at this comparison.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=101934

and i won't even comment on mrbungle's bungled comment. jeez people.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
They are making both as I stated earlier. End of thread. If you don't believe me go to their web site and look up the specs on a new American Strat. Or look at this comparison.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=101934

and i won't even comment on mrbungle's bungled comment. jeez people.

he wants a mexican strat with 22 frets. as far as I'm aware it's only the american ones that have the 22 fret necks.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
To give people a reason to want an American Stat. I don't know. It's never bothered me.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
he wants a mexican strat with 22 frets. as far as I'm aware it's only the american ones that have the 22 fret necks.

yeah, i know he wants a MIM strat, so i suggested a used MIA.

i was just trying quell all the rants on Fender not making 22 fret strats or being stuck on only making 21 which is obviously not true.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah, i know he wants a MIM strat, so i suggested a used MIA.

i was just trying quell all the rants on Fender not making 22 fret strats or being stuck on only making 21 which is obviously not true.

but he didn't say that, he asked why do they still make 21 fret necks? he didn't say that they didn't make 22 fret necks nor did he say they only made 21 fret necks.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
but he didn't say that, he asked why do they still make 21 fret necks? he didn't say that they didn't make 22 fret necks nor did he say they only made 21 fret necks.

+1

I've been looking into MIM Fenders, and it seems that they all have 21 fret necks. I know the MIA has 22, but I don't want to pay a whole ton of extra money for one more fret, lol! Perhaps a second hand MIA, if I could find a good enough deal on one.