I'm getting a new amp soon and I have two options and I want to know which one is the best.

A Valve Junior Half Stack($100) with DS-1($50) and Metal Muff($100)
or
A Flextone II XL for $200 with FB4 foot controller

I like metal, rock, classic rock, blues
Guitars
Douglas WRL595, ESP LTD EC-50, 60's Partscaster
Amps
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Vet30
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
DS-1 isn't really that great of a distortion pedal.

That's my two cents.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Apparently the Valve Junior is a pretty impressive amp, but it only has one knob, so you know what that means, no equalization (as far as I know) and you have to turn it up loud to get it to break up (again, as far as I know there's no "pre-gain" knob to adjust overdrive)

People seem pretty happy with 'em, and I have a metal muff, and that thing is awesome for all kinds of metal. Don't know anything about the DS1.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
You have to think of having a low-end sound on your amp OR an overdrive pedal that would be ONLY to give low-end, since the valve junior doesn't have much torque in itself. Then you kick-in just before it a distortion boost, I use a maxon distortion sustainer II to get the solo edge, while my amp's drive is set on growling the riffing out.

The ds-1 plus metal muff will only give you cold dogsh!t sound, you have to sature the tubes with at least an overdrive, then kick a boost, else it sounds really metalish without the ''fat factor'' of a cranked amp.

EDIT: If you're really thight-budgeted, put the money on a good overdrive to kick the riffing out of the amp, and crank it enough to use your guitar's master volume to get you a riff volume, then put the volume on ten for the solo tone. That's only if you HAVE to spend not too much money on that rig, else do yourself a favor and buy an okay distortion/overdrive pedal to solo the sh!t out of it.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Last edited by Gäbe at Jul 13, 2008,
ok listen up, ditch the boss DS-1 idea and get the SD-1 Super OVerdrive...it can do any distortion just not insane metal..its got greast dynamics, a nice fat tone..it can just add a hint of grind or crazy fuzz distortion...I never turn mine off
I'm not going to use both pedals at once. The DS-1 is for classic rock tones since I can't crank the amp and the Metal Muff is for metal tones. I'm leaning towards the Flextone since it's more versatile.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
I would say the Flexitone would be better, the VJ isn't at all suited for metal.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Someone got the Flextone so I'll go for the Valve Junior. Instead of the DS-1 what pedal should I get for classic rock and blues sounds?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Some sort of tube screamer copy would be right up your alley. A bad monkey is a good choice on the cheap (50$)
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Is there an OD pedal that can do classic rock --> thrash metal?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Last edited by Don Tonberry at Jul 14, 2008,
Maybe a jekyl and hyde. I'm just talking out of my arse here since I've never tried one, but it might work. It's basically two pedals, one is a distortion and the other is a tubescreamer copy.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Any other suggestions?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Maybe a Fulltone OCD, expensive, though.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
id say check out an Ibanez Smash box($50) there really versitile at its lowest gain u can get like a ZZ top type distortion and with it all the way up u get sort of like a Cold Dimebag Distorsion plus it has a built in Noise Gate i love mine give it a try
s('-^)-b
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
why are those 2 the only one's on your Short List?

they seem kinda opposite but maybe that is not the right word.

Budget?
Gig?
Music pref?
Used?
Location?
what exactly?

Well, the Valve Junior half stack is on craigslist and only $100. That's why I want it. All I need to figure out is a pedal for light OD to thrash metal type distortion.

My budget is $250. I'm only using it for practice and sometimes jamming with my friends. I like blues, classic rock, rock, hard rock, thrash metal, metal. I'll go used if I need to.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
not trying to talk you out of VJ - i'm just not sure about it for metal.

yes, i would say an OD is prolly better than metal pedal.

have you checked craigslist.com for area if you are in States?

also, does jamming with friends mean a drummer too? Just asking.

otherwise, i hear it is a great amp!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
not trying to talk you out of VJ - i'm just not sure about it for metal.

yes, i would say an OD is prolly better than metal pedal.

have you checked craigslist.com for area if you are in States?

also, does jamming with friends mean a drummer too? Just asking.

otherwise, i hear it is a great amp!

I am only going to be jamming with a drummer. There is really nothing on craigslist that is worth it in my area except for that VJ. I think it can do metal, I just need the correct pedal. But I don't know what pedal can do the types of music I play.
Guitars
Amps
Pedals