okay, i'm looking at a peavey 6505+ head through an avatar G212H Traditional special. the peavey's wattage is 120 and the amp's is 60, but the cab/avatar has two speakers, so does the wattage REALLY mean how loud it would be, or is it just misleading?
Not sure if this is what you're asking, but yea it will be quieter with the 212 cab than with a 412 cab.
the Cabinet wattage is 60?

Thats bad news my friend, ALWAYS have a cabinet with at least the same if not more wattage as the head.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
well to clarify, i have like a 250 watt combo now, two speakers, and i'm wondering if it would be the same volume, louder, softer, or the same,
also, say i got a head or speakers with different wattages, would the overall number value of the watts affect how loud it is?
I'm not incredibly familiar with all combo amps in the world, but a 250 watt COMBO amp? That sound's...heavy.

Physically heavy.
Quote by Metalmaker
well to clarify, i have like a 250 watt combo now, two speakers, and i'm wondering if it would be the same volume, louder, softer, or the same,
also, say i got a head or speakers with different wattages, would the overall number value of the watts affect how loud it is?

do you have a marshall mg250dfx?

if so, it has 2 50watt speakers, putting out 100watts in stereo. it's not 250watts.

a 120watt tube (like the 6505) amp is 99.9% of the time going to destroy a 100watt solid state amp (like yours) in terms of... uh, how loud it is.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Yeah, the MG once again shows what not to do with amps. It had a logical model numbering system until it pulled the "250dfx" move.

In attempt to answer your question about the cab wattage, I think as long as its rating is higher than your amp's rating, it should be as loud as it should be. In fact, the amp's power rating is the RMS rating, which basically means the average output, so when it's fully cranked, a 120-watt amp might be putting out something more like 170 watts (at one instant in time).

SO, it's best to have a cab with around 1.5x to 2x the amp wattage, so when it does peak, it doesn't blow a speaker.

Cab with more speakers: more air moving, around the same volume per speaker.

*Disclaimer: I don't claim all the above to be totally accurate.
no, it's a marshall avt 2000 valvestae, it has two 12inchers, and is half valve half state, so pretty good tone, and it is heavy, it's like 120 freakin pounds, that's why i got a cheap, tiny little line 6 state to take places if i just want to play for a bit (friends house etc.) sounds like crap, but still pretty good comparably to other amps my friends have that are states
also because it's half of each, it screws with the scale, i would say it's probably like 300-400 for solid, and 125-200 for valves, can't be sure though
sorry man, but you are deathly misinformed.

it is 150watts. it has a solid state power amp, so it won't be producing the harmonics like an all-tube amp would.

it is NOT 1/2 solid state, 1/2 tube. it has 1 preamp tube in it at most.

comparably, it'd probably have the useable volume of a 50-75watt tube amp.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008