Page 1 of 3
Personally I'm gonna have to go with 'kinda...yeah'

Considering gibson owns epiphone, I just see it as a way for them to have a mid range $500 dollar les paul without having to put gibson on the headstock. Les Paul is on the headstock, Lester Polsfuss himself has allowed for the named to be used with epiphone so I'm gonna go with that its the real deal. I think that it has every right to be called a les paul just as much as a MIM Fender can be called a strat.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic-Electric CD140SCE
Yes. Epiphone is owned by Gibson and epiphone uses Gibson's designs, but with cheaper materials. Not that it makes it any less of a guitar, it just might not sound the same as a Gibson.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by IdiotWind
I think that it has every right to be called a les paul just as much as a MIM Fender can be called a strat.
I think a better analogy would be to a Squier Strat.

Either way, I say yes. They use the same design as the Gibson, just with cheaper materials and foreign labor.
cause some people dont have a couple grand layin around to pick one up?
i luf da grammer knotziez

gear: (i wanna fit in)
ibanez tbx150r
phase90
lil big muff pi
weeping demon
esp viper100
boss chorus
other junk
Quote by donkey the wise
Well played Sir sFsKroniK
yay m special
Quote by Guitar Skater
why settle for less?

Some people aren't settling. They're operating within their own means.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
MIM Fenders are good, Squier's suck
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
Quote by IdiotWind
Les Paul is on the headstock, Lester Polsfuss himself has allowed for the named to be used with epiphone so I'm gonna go with that its the real deal.

Um, the guy who the Les Paul is named for is Les Paul.

But, to contribute... yeah it's a Les Paul. Like you said, Les Paul is printed on the headstock. That's what the company calls it. They can call it whatever they want, that's what it is.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by Guitar Skater
why settle for less?

The wallet is a painful place to get hit, and it gets hit WAY harder with the 'authentic' Gibson name.

Just another classic Epi vs. Gibson/Price vs. extended quality bout (because epi's do sound pretty sweet).
Your Signature:
Quote by E V H 5150

Les Paul is just his stage name.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
lmfao "Squier Strat"

all they were thinking was "we can't put stratocaster on this piece o' ****, our american stratocaster sales with drop!"
Quote by E V H 5150

But, to contribute... yeah it's a Les Paul. Like you said, Les Paul is printed on the headstock. That's what the company calls it. They can call it whatever they want, that's what it is.

I used the name that is on his birth certificate
Quote by E V H 5150

You're aware people take different stage names?

You think slash was born slash? Or axl rose was born axl rose?
Quote by merfsullivan

I am aware of stage names and pen names and the sort. I was unaware of this particular stage name. I stand corrected...
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
les paul describes a shape, not a guitar company.

Edit: I know les paul is a guy too...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by merfsullivan

You know The letters of AXL ROSE can Be re-arranges to make ORAL SEX

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Quote by SG310user

No, i didnt, but that's an awesome trivia fact!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
No, i didnt, but that's an awesome trivia fact!

It's my awkward silence maker fact.

Quote by SG310user

That's kinda creepy.
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
I say they are Les Pauls. I also say the the TS made this to make himself feel better about himself considering he has an Epi Paul.
Guitars:
PRS SE Custom 24
Partscaster
MIM Tele
Gear:
Em Drive Clone (w/ Klon buffer) > Paramount Clone > OCD > Westminster Effects Knox 800 > ISP Decimator > m5 > Nova Repeater > Trinity T2 > W.E. Sturgeon Reverb > AC15C1
I didn't make it to make myself feel better about my purchase as I knew that a gibson is superior when I made my purchase. I'm broke as crap so gibson is out of my financial reach. I just knew that for the price it was a quality instrument that fitted my style of playing. my next purchase is going to be a MIM telecaster.

I've owned my standard since may and couldn't be happier with the $450 I spent.
Last edited by IdiotWind at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by Scream And Fly
No. A real Les Paul is made by Gibson, and is USA made. Call me old-fashioned, but that's the way I feel. I do not consider anything that comes from Korea, Japan, or China a Les Paul.

This is pretty much how I feel, just without the xenophobic tint.

JK, but seriously. I don't disrespect the manufacturing in these countries, but I believe the real LP is a Gibson product from Nashville, TN.

For those who don't have enough money for the real deal, I'd say just go for another style, as I feel the Epi LPs are slightly knockoffish. I wouldn't compromise quality, just as I wouldn't want a lower end Gibson LP because the quality is iffy. And now they chamber them which is stupid.

A while ago I'd probably be a big Gibson guy, but my '61 reissue SG is probably the latest Gibson I'll ever own.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Real Les Paul's are made by Gibson, period. Epi's are nice, but they don't really come close.
Gibson.
Bottom Line: It doesn't matter.

Is an Epiphone Les Paul really a Les Paul? Yes, it says so right on the headstock. If the guitar is ****ty, however, then its still a ****ty guitar, and the fact that it is a Les Paul doesn't change a thing.

With that said, I am actually quite impressed with the more recent Epiphone Les Pauls that have been produced. The wood quality and overall construction have been stepped up considerably since the old days of mahogany mixed with alder and spotty quality control. And although I would certainly take a Gibson Custom over any Epiphone Les Paul any day, I would honestly take an Epiphone Les Paul Standard over a Gibson Les Paul Studio (unless I could take the Gibby Studio and sell it--in which case I would take the money and buy an Elitist LP or look for a used Gibby Standard).
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
I consider it a copy honestly, not that it's a bad guitar or anything.
To be honest a real Les Paul is by Gibson just like a real strat is from Fender.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

**** no dude, it dosent even feel like a guitar. the pups will always be low, the wood is twice as heavey as a normal guitar and the frets no mater what will no matter be synched in tune. no matter how well you fitz with the tune-o-matic. i just run back to my schecter omen6 with ****ty ass invaders on it. (my brother ownes the les)
You weirdo's. (Not trying to be offensive)

Between the top of the line epi and a LP standard, there'd be minuscule to no difference between Epi and Gibby LPs. The only difference is: Epi is made by cheap Asian labor and gibby is made by expensive American labor which demand more pay. And the logo's.

If an epi costs $600 bucks around 200 bucks is pay for workers.

If a Gibby costs $1800 around 800- 900 bucks is worker pay.

(I am just stationed in Seoul fyi) but when it comes to guitars defiantly US > Asia [some MIJ come close] but Asia defiantly got it in some other fields. Look at cars, all the imports are more fuel efficient.

When you say LP... I automatically think Gibson. There are plenty of guitars that look alike it but they have different names for a reason. EPI put LP on theres so its a LP also. I put LP on a damn bottle and its a LP now.

I hate to be all anti-American and **** but I already did my part with this country. But I wouldn't go as far to say that American labor is just so much more damn superior than everyone else's.
Last edited by cruc1a7 at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by justinrobbins7
The wallet is a painful place to get hit, and it gets hit WAY harder with the 'authentic' Gibson name.

Just another classic Epi vs. Gibson/Price vs. extended quality bout (because epi's do sound pretty sweet).

Try buying used, I got a Gibson SG in great condition for $750 from Guitar Center's used section online.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
To the AXL ROSE mix around guy...

MOTHER IN LAW mixes out to be WOMAN HITLER
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by cruc1a7

I hate to be all anti-American and **** but I already did my part with this country. But I wouldn't go as far to say that American labor is just so much more damn superior than everyone else's.

As with just about everything...it depends on the labor and who is doing the labor at that particular point in time.

Even some fine company hand crafted custom guitars can sometimes be "duds" because the guy (or girl, dont wanna be sexist ) had a bad day or something.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Page 1 of 3