Page 1 of 2
You've got to be kidding me...
What is the use for this guitar?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=512665X
That is, quite possibly the dumbest, most pointless thing i have ever seen.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Are you Kidding. That guitar is the ruling BC.

Massive metal sound, classic metal look, also good for alot of other styles of music.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Y?? its a badass looking ten string guitar that would be like mocking the dude who invented the 12 string guitar...... but ya IMO B.C. Rich suxxx
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000
And that spalted burled maple looking top. God thats nice.

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

That's a great guitar. Doubled up high strings sound great for metal solos. Just listen to recent High on Fire.
oh man, that guitar is so hair metal!!! rock n' roll.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
I think the only thing wrong with it is it's a B.C. Rich. That and the fact that it looks rediculous, as in terms of it doesn't need to look so god damn awkward, but the wood makes everything just right.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

Quote by visa
That made absoulutely no sense how do you tie your shoes in little nazi's?
Wait till you see the BC rich Double neck bich. Then you'll be sold.

Quote by jetfuel495
what is that thing tuned to?

Standard tuning i guess. The four strings that are tuned on the body are tuned to the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th strings on a normal guitar.

Quote by jetfuel495
what is that thing tuned to?
I expect E A DD GG BB EE or possible a couple of steps lower on all strings
Quote by AtThisVelocity
I think the only thing wrong with it is it's a B.C. Rich. That and the fact that it looks rediculous, as in terms of it doesn't need to look so god damn awkward, but the wood makes everything just right.

BC Rich makes quality guitars, despite the odd shapes they like to use. It's just like bashing First Act; the $100 Bronze guitars aren't going to give you quality. The high end ones will.
Quote by Martin Scott
Because it's better than his guitar.

Right...

RG550>>>BC rich with nato body...

It has a nato body for christ's sake guys. And, have you ever tried to play a lead on a 12 string guitar? it's damn near impossible. That is why, it is pointless.
And that fact that the shape is the ugliest thing i've seen yet from BC rich.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by RPGoof
BC Rich makes quality guitars, despite the odd shapes they like to use. It's just like bashing First Act; the $100 Bronze guitars aren't going to give you quality. The high end ones will.

They Sometimes make quality guitars. I mean Warlock. It's only possible use is metal. Al the sub Deaigns from that are the same really. But still The Bich rules.

Quote by kool98769
Right...
And, have you ever tried to play a lead on a 12 string guitar? it's damn near impossible. That is why, it is pointless.

Tell that to guys like Matt Pike (High on Fire), Joe Perry (Aerosmith) and John Butler (John Butler Trio). Matt uses a 9 string from First Act with the g, b and e strings doubled, and he ****in tears it up in his solos. Joe Perry used the custom shop version of the guitar in your link with Aerosmith, and he sure as hell didn't have a problem with it. JB uses a 12 string, and he does some really sweet solos (granted it's not a 10 string, but i figured i'd throw him in here too). Point is; it's actually a really interesting concept; the octave strings create a cool harmonizing sound, likened to chorus, and sound cool clean or distorted. And it's NOT impossible to shred on the doubled strings; the guys i mentioned do it (sure, the last two don't technically shred, but they're still pretty damn good).
Quote by Martin Scott
Because it's better than his guitar.

yup, he does play an ibanez
a log with 6 pieces of yarn would be solid competition for it
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Tell that to guys like Matt Pike (High on Fire), Joe Perry (Aerosmith) and John Butler (John Butler Trio). Matt uses a 9 string from First Act with the g, b and e strings doubled, and he ****in tears it up in his solos.
Matt Pike's solos are amazing...his First Act custom is great
Quote by kool98769
Right...

It has a nato body for christ's sake guys.

...says the guy with a basswood body.

Neither basswood nor nato are necessarily bad tonewoods, but people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
id like to try it.....prob would trade my hellraiser for it
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by AtThisVelocity
I think the only thing wrong with it is it's a B.C. Rich.

Meaning that you hopped on the bandwagon and can't think for yourself.
Quote by :-D
Meaning that you hopped on the bandwagon and can't think for yourself.

u just summed up this whole site
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
WOW. All the ibanez hating BC rich people came out, eh? I have nothing against BC rich as a company, as people bandwagon them for sucking because their bronze and platinum series guitars suck, but their higher end stuff is pretty nice, but just not my cup of tea. I love it how people are bashing my ibanez, because A: It's basswood, and B: It's an ibanez. All ibanez are made out of Basswood AKA plywood with yarn strings. Just like steve vai's basswood guitars. Utter pieces of crap, comparable to nato. I forgot. I guess i know my place. Obviously prestige ibanez guitars are still made with horrible wood, horrible trems, horrible vietnamese children, and necks. As for those who say, SHRED WITH 12 STRINGS IS EASY, LISTEN TO HIGH ON FIRE. Do your research. I had never heard of these guys, so i searched youtube. 2nd video down the dude says that he does leads on a 6 string.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UNh2KtAa68Q
Not to say that he doesnt do it live on a 9 string, but it's much easier on a 6 string. Shredding on 12 strings isnt impossible, its just a lot harder than you're realizing. To accurately and dynamically pick with 4 strings in the same area as 2 is very hard.
And i wouldn't consider joe perry solo hard.

I don't understand how me having a basswood body makes me have a glass house. The fact remains that nato is a low quality wood remains. Point out to me 5 artists that use nato as a tonewood on their guitars. I can name 30+ that use basswood. Don't act like ibanez is the only company to use basswood. It's just that almost every company uses mahogany or alder on the majority of their models.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by RPGoof

Not quite. BC Rich has been making guitars since the early 1970s, and they have actually produced a wide range of very high quality guitars at several price ranges (although there was a disastrous time period in the 1990s when Bernie Rico allowed Class Axe to produce cheap guitars under the BC Rich name). First Act, although it DOES make some good guitars for pros and may have a few nice high end guitars, was started up in 1995 for the explicit purpose of providing cheap/affordable guitars for the beginning guitarist.

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by kool98769

I don't understand how me having a basswood body makes me have a glass house. The fact remains that nato is a low quality wood remains. Point out to me 5 artists that use nato as a tonewood on their guitars. I can name 30+ that use basswood. Don't act like ibanez is the only company to use basswood. It's just that almost every company uses mahogany or alder on the majority of their models.

You're missing the point here, buddy. I'm not bashing your guitar--it's a great guitar. The point was that neither basswood nor nato are necessarily bad tonewoods (although I am confident that it is possible to find poor quality examples of both in low end guitars), and when you bash the guitar on the basis that "it has a nato body for christ's sake" you sound just as foolish as someone who thinks that your RG550 is horrible simply because it is made of basswood.

..and yes, there is good quality nato, and I will bet anything that in a blind test hooked up to a good amp you can't tell the difference between it and good old Honduran Mahogany.

EDIT: Typo.

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by kool98769
Right...

It has a nato body for christ's sake guys. And, have you ever tried to play a lead on a 12 string guitar? it's damn near impossible. That is why, it is pointless.

BC Rich is known for their Bich. It's one of their most popular models. and BC Rich makes the Stealth! That thing is super mega tits.
Quote by FourSticks17

You're missing the point here, buddy. I'm not bashing your guitar--it's a great guitar. The point was that neither basswood nor nato are necessarily bad tonewoods (although I am confident that it is possible to find poor quality examples of both in low end guitars), and when you bash the guitar on the basis that "it has a nato body for christ's sake" you sound just as foolish as someone who thinks that your RG550 is horrible simply because it is made of basswood.

..and yes, there is good quality nato, and I will bet anything that in a blind test hooked up to a good amp you can't tell the difference between it and good old Honduran Mahogany.

EDIT: Typo.

Nato is the cheap alternative to mahogany though. I might not be able to tell it apart if both the guitars were high quality woods. But the chances that that guitar has a NICE nato body is very slim. It already has a special feature 10 string thing going on, a nice top, and neckthru. The fact that it's a special type of guitar allows them to charge more for no reason.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Nato is the cheap alternative to mahogany though. I might not be able to tell it apart if both the guitars were high quality woods. But the chances that that guitar has a NICE nato body is very slim. It already has a special feature 10 string thing going on, a nice top, and neckthru. The fact that it's a special type of guitar allows them to charge more for no reason.

True, nato is a cheaper wood to buy, and most high end guitars will charge the extra dough to make the guitar out of true mahogany (although the tonal difference between the true mahogany and high quality nato would be negligible). Consequently, MOST guitars made out of nato are probably lower end guitars made with lower quality nato.

With that said, the fact that this Bich in question is made out of nato does not indicate that it is a bad guitar, and that is the major point behind my initial post.

EDIT: I read "the chances that that guitar has a NICE nato body is very slim" as "the chances that a guitar has a NICE nato body is very slim." Taking what you actually said into account, I will only add that you should still try the actual guitar out before you simply assume it is made of low quality nato. Again, nato is the cheap alternative to mahogany and even high quality nato is cheap in comparison to mahogany.

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Last edited by FourSticks17 at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by FourSticks17

With that said, the fact that this Bich in question is made out of nato does not indicate that it is a bad guitar, and that is the major point behind my initial post.

Unless I'm missing something, the Bich in question (this one linked in the original post) has a mahogany body. So, it's really not a bad guitar.

As for me, I'm a huge fan of the Bich guitar despite it's admittedly strange shape (which does not affect its sound).
i have a bc rich made out of nato and maple, and i have a jackson dinky made out of basswood, my bass wood dxmg has a nice dimarzio evo in the bridge poss. the tone on these two guitars are like night and day, neither sucks, neither sounds cheap, but the nato bodied bc rich has a much richer, fuller, warmer tone. it has impressed the heck out of every one who has heard my bcr. also the fit and finish on this guitar is impeccable with the exception of the fretts. on the other hand my basswood jackson is the shredder of the two the sound is more nasel on the bridge pup if you are playing rhythm but my buddy who is a shredder, is i am not, can really wail on this guitar. the only guitar ive heard that sounds better is my kelly as far as shredding goes and it has a poplar body. so...neither suck, ibanez doesnt suck and bcr certainly doesnt suck. lets all hug and sing kumbiyah
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by -Rane-
Unless I'm missing something, the Bich in question (this one linked in the original post) has a mahogany body. So, it's really not a bad guitar.

As for me, I'm a huge fan of the Bich guitar despite it's admittedly strange shape (which does not affect its sound).

Yeah, the specs at the bottom list the wood as mahogany, but the detailed description at the top states that it is a nato body. Knowing that BC Rich often goes with the nato, I just assumed it was nato.

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by mig-29
i have a bc rich made out of nato and maple, and i have a jackson dinky made out of basswood, my bass wood dxmg has a nice dimarzio evo in the bridge poss. the tone on these two guitars are like night and day, neither sucks, neither sounds cheap, but the nato bodied bc rich has a much richer, fuller, warmer tone. it has impressed the heck out of every one who has heard my bcr. also the fit and finish on this guitar is impeccable with the exception of the fretts. on the other hand my basswood jackson is the shredder of the two the sound is more nasel on the bridge pup if you are playing rhythm but my buddy who is a shredder, is i am not, can really wail on this guitar. the only guitar ive heard that sounds better is my kelly as far as shredding goes and it has a poplar body. so...neither suck, ibanez doesnt suck and bcr certainly doesnt suck. lets all hug and sing kumbiyah

Best post on the topic yet.

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by smb
That's a great guitar. Doubled up high strings sound great for metal solos. Just listen to recent High on Fire.

Quote by FourSticks17
Yeah, the specs at the bottom list the wood as mahogany, but the detailed description at the top states that it is a nato body. Knowing that BC Rich often goes with the nato, I just assumed it was nato.

as did i.

And with the dude with the basswood vs nato thing.
It's not that nato can't be good, but the guitar in question, I say that it's probably not that good, but I quite possible could be wrong.
And the nato will have a more full tone, as it is a darker, deeper sounding wood, where as basswood is generally better for a shred type guitar, rather than a full rich, darker tone.
But good point!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769

you are a f'n a-hole...why did you have to post this?...now i know this guitar exists and i want to buy it...i thought i was done with my collection and then you come along and show me this....im running out of wall space damnit...
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by kool98769

You're a dumbass
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
You're a dumbass

And you don't read threads.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I can't say I'd buy one, but there are some things I like about it. The body shape is... out there, but I do like the wood finish. I think the doubled up string thing is a good idea, since that way, you wouldn't have a huge, super-wide fretboard to deal with.
Saint Louis Blues
Page 1 of 2