alright guys for quite some time now, ive been writing a few songs trying got get up an indie acoustic kind of thing going.
so i just want to know what stuff will i need to record an acoustic guitar, and vocals.
thanks for he help
Alright, tell us your budget, what kind of computer you have, what kind of recording space you have, and the standard of quality that you would want from your recordings.

But first things first, you could be using the best recording equipment in the world and still make terrible quality recordings through it. Recording is a really difficult artform, its not as simple as just plugging a mic in and playing, so I suggest before you even consider spending any money on recording you go through this entire guide, www.tweakheadz.com

If you can't diggest the information on that site I would advise that you don't buy any equipment. I wish I had that site when I was younger, would have saved me alot of cash.
Just get a usb condenser mic and software that has reverb, compressor, eq, delay, and whatever else you need.
Quote by f*ck 0ff
Alright, tell us your budget, what kind of computer you have, what kind of recording space you have, and the standard of quality that you would want from your recordings.

But first things first, you could be using the best recording equipment in the world and still make terrible quality recordings through it. Recording is a really difficult artform, its not as simple as just plugging a mic in and playing, so I suggest before you even consider spending any money on recording you go through this entire guide, www.tweakheadz.com

If you can't diggest the information on that site I would advise that you don't buy any equipment. I wish I had that site when I was younger, would have saved me alot of cash.

ok soo i want decent quality enough so everything sounds nice
i have maybe 250-300 dollars
i have a compaq with window XP but also have a laptop with vista
the space i would say is my room
i think i see problems ><
For that budget, invest in a external soundcard like the Ux2, and a cheap condensor mic. You can pick a ux2 up on ebay for like 100-150 bucks. That is adequate enough for demos.
Gears;
Schecter Tempest Custom - Pearl
EMG 81/85
Digitech RP350
UX2 / Audition / Ableton
Quote by jewdannydan
thanks guys,
how can i set up my room to record?

What are the walls made of? is the floor carpeted? How you set up your room depends on what type of mic you're using.
i live in a pretty old building so the wall are just full on concrete i have tile and i think im gonna go with what ninja said 2 post up
You can do better than a UX2 imho.

All you really need for acoustic + vocals is a decent condenser mic like the MXL V63M or the MXL 990 (works for both acoustic and vocals) and a one or two input interface like the M-Audio Fast Track, Art Dual Pre, PreSonus Inspire, etc. Anything that has a decent built in preamp and phantom power for your condenser will work.

Those two and a cable fall well within a budget of $300.

Check out musicians friend under Recording > Audio Interfaces.

DS

EDIT:
This
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-INSPIRE-1394-FireWire-Audio-Interface?sku=241483
and
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXLV63M-Condenser-Studio-Microphone-with-Shockmount?sku=273158
and a cable of your choice = win
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Death-Speak
You can do better than a UX2 imho.

All you really need for acoustic + vocals is a decent condenser mic like the MXL V63M or the MXL 990 (works for both acoustic and vocals) and a one or two input interface like the M-Audio Fast Track, Art Dual Pre, PreSonus Inspire, etc. Anything that has a decent built in preamp and phantom power for your condenser will work.

Those two and a cable fall well within a budget of $300.

Check out musicians friend under Recording > Audio Interfaces.

DS

EDIT:
This
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-INSPIRE-1394-FireWire-Audio-Interface?sku=241483
and
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXLV63M-Condenser-Studio-Microphone-with-Shockmount?sku=273158
and a cable of your choice = win

the interface says firewire, im not sure if i have that...
You can pick up a firewire card for cheap online. You using a laptop or desktop?

EDIT: Also the M-Audio Fast Track or Fast Track Pro are USB and within your budget.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic