Hello, I haven't been on the forums in a while, but decided to have come back to ask a few questions about the whammy bar and the guitar. I have a Fender Highway One HSS Stratocaster, and it came with a floating bridge. Now, I don't particularly like the floating bridge, but I'm trying to decide whether I should actually put it to use since I have it. Here are my questions:

1. How hard is it to install a whammy bar by yourself? I don't have too much guitar workshopping experiences other than knowing how and what to clean it with, and how to change strings.

2. How much does a decent one cost?

3. Will it knock my strings out of tune all the time?

That's all for now. Thanks!
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
are you saying you have the bridge installed on the guitar you just dont have the bar itself?
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Why in hell haven't they gived you one when you bought the guitar ? A fender authentic is the way to go, you usually only have to screw it in its place, OR the new generation ones (like some licensed FR bars) have kind of a nut, you push the bar in its hole, and thighten it in place with the nut. Both are pretty simple to install, the guy at your guitar shop can show you if you bring your guitar it takes about 30 seconds, by buying a bar I guess it should'nt be too much work involved for him to show you.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by Head BANGER 81
are you saying you have the bridge installed on the guitar you just dont have the bar itself?

Yup.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
should probly cost you 10-15 bucks for a fender 9.99 is my guess
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Anything about intonation issues and strings sliding out of tune?
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It will be out of tune all the time if you reast your hand on the bridge. The strings on my Strat would be out of tune after 1 big dive but with my FR (not on the strat) they stay in tune for a very long time.
Quote by GerGuam
It will be out of tune all the time if you reast your hand on the bridge. The strings on my Strat would be out of tune after 1 big dive but with my FR (not on the strat) they stay in tune for a very long time.

Sorry, that makes no sense. What kind of Strat do you have?

I have a MIM strat and use the wammy bar all the time and have practically zero tuning problems.

TS - you will be fine. Set that bridge to float and rock out!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I have a MIM strat and use the wammy bar all the time and have practically zero tuning problems.

TS - you will be fine. Set that bridge to float and rock out!

I'd have to agree. As long as you're not trying to use it silly hard it'll be fine. I think the only time I've had strings go seriously out of tune (but still only talking a 1/2 step or so) was on a bend+whammy up
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
yeah, i honestly only need to make serious tuning changes every 3rd or 4th play and it is never down more than an 8th step maaaaybe a 4th or half step. I'm doing a lot of bends lately and the bridge floats. I also change from .09s to .10s quite frequently and after a few minor set up changes i'm good to go. And I do not have a locking nut.
Alright, thanks guys for the help. :]
Quote by SloppyJoseph
just be sure and lube the nut and sring tree and a strat stay's in tune very well.