I've gotten my hands on some weights lately and i've started using em, doing bicep curls and lateral raises. I wanna build muscle, but i've also realized that i wanna lose some of my fat. Would JUST building muscle help lose fat, or would i need to do some cardio exercises like running?
also concerning arm exercises, how much of a rest period are you supposed to have between sessions?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
i dunno, a fair bit, so you can really see some muscle definition...i'm slightly overweight
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
at first everything will help you lose weight but you will need to do cardio soon, and i do weight, cardio, weights, cardio... etc, but thats just me and im 6'2 and 220 but that might not be right for you, just remember results take time
xbox live gamertag: phillips215
yeah building muscle helps lose fat but if your looking for more than like ten pounds or so you should probably do a little cardio too

i think its supposed to be at least a day?
Some people will lift every day with no rest periods, but you should generally give your body a days rest after a work out session. In order to lose fat you'll need to do some form of cardio, then the lifting will build your muscles.

Also, drink chocolate milk after you exercise - no BS, there's a college football coach who has his players do this, I think it helps your muscles rebuild themselves faster and/or more efficiently.
there is a health/bodybuilding thread, but anyways, you should probably do cardio in addition to weights, yes lifting does burn calories but cardio will help you become healthier and feel healthier, not just looking better.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
You aren't going to lose weight, you will lose body fat though. You need to do more cardio if you wanna lose weight.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by ibanez for life
its been proven that you lose more weight lifting weights than doing cardio.

that must be why all those olympic lifters are so skinny huh?
if you're looking to lose weight cardio is what you need. lifting will just increase muscle size.
More muscle burns more calories. However, regular cardio would bring faster and better results, along with a reasonable diet. For the cardio, 20 mins a day every other day is what's reccomended by most trainers.

As for your diet, you dont have to have a salad 3 meals a day, just watch what you eat. Eat a larger lunch and a smaller dinner, and watch your portions. And rather than eat until you're full, eat just enough to not be hungry anymore, and eat slowly. One of the most important dieting tips you can get, is to eat a good breakfast each morning. Eating breakfast kickstarts your metabolism so that by the time you have your lunch(which should be your largest meal), your metabolism is already going, that way you can easily burn off the calories.
a nice consistent weight lifting routine will shed pounds very quickly if combined with a healthey dose of good diet and cardio(for cardio, play a sport!) even if its just football or bball w/ freinds get off your but and get your heart pumping. My moms got me, a skinny 14 year old a membership to golds gym and its been amazing for me
Quote by RU Experienced?
Also, drink chocolate milk after you exercise - no BS, there's a college football coach who has his players do this, I think it helps your muscles rebuild themselves faster and/or more efficiently.

The reasoning behind this: Milk is high in protein, and protein helps your body build muscle.
Quote by ibanez for life

i dont know where you heard that, but its a lie.
I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been

To sit with elders of the gentle race, this world has seldom seen
hm thanks for the responses
one last question...my mom doesn't like me working out cuz she thinks working out will interrupt my growth and not let me grow as tall is i could...is this true?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
how old are you?

Quote by noleafcloverML
how old are you?

I'm 15, soon to be turning 16
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
cardio burns more calories than weight training.

hell_monkey- you should be fine. i went and talked to a doctor and he told me around 15 or 16 is fine. and ive been lifting for football since 7th grade, and im 6'2. so it cant stunt you that much

Last edited by noleafcloverML at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by ibanez for life

Wha? No....

Building muscle mass and losing weight at the same time is not very efficient, but it does work, especially at first. I'd suggest losing a little weight and doing some toning exercises. Then after that try some muscle building exercises with a different diet to gain weight.
what about your diet? will changing my diet so it has smaller portions and healthier food and working out allow me to lose fat and build muscle, or am i just going on about something i have no idea about here?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
diet is a big part. try to eat a lot of protein, especially if your lifting weights.

Bodybuilding/general nutrition thread. Please see the link in the "Forbidden Threads" sticky.
Hi, I'm Peter