Well, I'm saving up for an amp and I wanted opinions on which amp I should get.
Are microstacks any good at all? I've tried the Line 6 amp before and it's decent but most say it's not good, although I do prefer my Fender 15w amp.

I have no limit on price range pretty much. I just like finding what I want and I save my money up for it.

I play mostly modern rock or classic. I also play some heavy metal but not as much. Mostly stuff like AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver, Disturbed, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Nirvana.
Last edited by welcom2duhjungl at Jul 13, 2008,
wow i totally missed that...
peavey valveking 212 ****ing ROCKS!!! i've got one and its really REALLY versatile. Pretty cheap for a tube amp too!
EVH 5150 III head and cab...perfect for all of that stuff. I hear it is perfect for just about anything.

And what Fender do you have now? I ask because the new 5150 III is made by Fender.

Do you gig? Can you go used? Etc.?
the micro stack is a glorified practice amo it just looks cool
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Emus. Seriously, no bird should be that big.

Quote by CFH82
Long story short, I had a dream I fu**ed a horse.

Rise up
We are revolutionaries
Viva la revolución
No budget?

Egnater tourmaster or go custom

I normally recommend avoiding line 6's until you get in the range of the flextone's and the vetta, everything prior to those are practice amps, no matter the wattage.

Microstack is just bad, you'll regret buying it
I see. I was thinking of going with the Vox Valvetronix AD100VTH and V412BK Half Stack and Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack Package.
I'm still looking into both amps but the Marshall seems appealing.

I'd like to try some others before actually going custom since I'm still fairly new to the amp world.
Last edited by welcom2duhjungl at Jul 14, 2008,
Everyone I know with experience would advice you against the Marshall.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
You say you have no price range and then list cheaper amps? So how much money do you really want to spend because there is a big difference between a thousand dollar amp and a three thousand dollar amp. Because you gig I would say your best bet would be a combo. If you really are willing to save up you should try Bogner, VHT, Splawn(if in USA), Cornford, Diezel, Rivera, and Soldano. You really can't go wrong with any of these but like I said they are much more than the amps you are looking at.

P.S. Do not get an MG
So you do have a budget I am assuming. We really need to know your top end spend for this or you are going to get a bunch of answers (including my original) that aren't really going to help you and waste our time too. OK?

Personally, I don't think either one of those amps would fit for you long term especially the latter one. I think you would be much better off with a tube combo that is voiced for what you want to play. For example, a Peavey Valveking or Classic 30 or maybe a Bugera or B-52. If you can go used, there are a whole bunch of options.

If you are in the US - look up guitar amplifiers on craigslist.com.

Can we assume that your budget is under $1,000?
Probably under $1000 is fine.
Top I would go is probably $1500.
Yes, I'm in the US so I'll go look up some in craiglist.
i have an MG250dfx and people keep saying that they are bad but I really only see the effects are bad but I actually like the cleans and overdrives. Can anyone tell me what is so bad about it. I am now going to get an orange tiny terror and a can because it is easily versatile and a great sound plus with a 2 x 12 cab from avatar it can easily gig unless your selling out large stadiums which I doubt most are. But yes the MG can easily be gigged with because it's so f****** loud and I played a few shows.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
I was in Mexico recently on vacation and the band that played evey night at resort - the guitar player used a 250 and it sounded like...like....like, well I didin't think it sounded all that good. Granted they were a Latino band and not a metal band but man, no thank you. I also played a smaller one at a store and didn't care for it.
Quote by Gibshall
i have an MG250dfx and people keep saying that they are bad but I really only see the effects are bad but I actually like the cleans and overdrives. Can anyone tell me what is so bad about it. I am now going to get an orange tiny terror and a can because it is easily versatile and a great sound plus with a 2 x 12 cab from avatar it can easily gig unless your selling out large stadiums which I doubt most are. But yes the MG can easily be gigged with because it's so f****** loud and I played a few shows.

Hmmm, where do I start?

Poorly built, overprice, fizzy distortion, sterile cleans, lifeless effects. Basically a practice amp, which is all well and good, until they start making them bigger. That's when the problems arise. Anything above 15 or 30 watts is a massive waste of money.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by welcom2duhjungl
I see. I was thinking of going with the Vox Valvetronix AD100VTH and V412BK Half Stack and Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack Package.
I'm still looking into both amps but the Marshall seems appealing.

And here, students, we see the prime example of how the Marshall name lures people into wasting their money.

Edit: don't get an MG. Luckily, i realized how bad MG's were after a week of owning one. /return.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
I think I'm going with the Peavey Valve King Combo Amp. Though I'm still decided between 112 or 212.
The 112 is cheaper, lighter and easier to replace the speaker on.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Hmmm, where do I start?

Poorly built, overprice, fizzy distortion, sterile cleans, lifeless effects. Basically a practice amp, which is all well and good, until they start making them bigger. That's when the problems arise. Anything above 15 or 30 watts is a massive waste of money.

Well I guess your right but hey I got cheap. Anyway I'm getting an orange so ehh but the sterile cleans were tailored by my line of effects which I sadly sold and when your playing in an overfilled university hall no one noticed I even got complements on the clean tone but everybody learns someway or another.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
GET A MARSHALL

dont touch Line6's or Roland Cubes as you maybe mentally ill

Peavey Valve kings are great, and dont rule out Laney or Orange
Orange is great for classic stuff
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
go for a used marshall jcm. i have a dsl50 and absolutely love it. great cleans, classic rock tones, and hi gain stuff too.
Valve Senior halfstack? And a HELLUVA lot of pedals?
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Lol. I'm not really for Marshall right now. This is only going to be my second amp so I think the Peavey 30 Classic or the ValveKing will work.
Check out the B-52 AT-100
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build