Hey guys,
just wondering if there's any full-time musicians here.. Or planning to be one.
Is it hard or was hard keeping it up?
Are you financially independent?

I'm actually planning to be in a band that's willing to give their all into music as well as I am.
I'm only in highschool so it may sound dumb and immature;
But I learned that music is my passion, and I wanna live it out.
Plus I'm a failure in school, so why not?
But I want to know if I'll go anywhere in life..
And I'll be able to pay for my rent/food/water/some musical equipment/gas in the future...

Thanks guys
This will be helpful info for me
I was thinking of doing something music-related when I graduate from high school.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Yeah I am right now.
I'm totally down and committed into being in a good, talented band.
I already spent alot of money on guitar stuff anyway
and I suck in highschool.
And I have no interest in being a dentist, doctor or whatever people do these days.
Music is my passion and im sure its everybody else's here too so you guys know what im talking about :P

im just afraid that things wont turn out well
like i wont find anyone out there like me
My guitar teacher has around 50 students a week, and charges $12 each half hour session. He does that as well as teaches music in college. So if you work hard you'll be able to make a decent living on that if your band doesn't make it big.
All your base are belong to us.
I would sure love to. But my family wants me to continue playing Baseball. I've been told by college scouts that I have talent and could go to college on it, but I really dont want to. It's just really boring to me now. My mom thinks I dont want to play because my friends would laugh at me, but I really don't like it.

Plus I don't exactly wanna go to college. You go to college to be what? Doctors, bankers, lawyers, and things like that. To me that is all really boring. But oh well, I'm only a sophomore, I got time.
I'm considering a minor in music, though i'm not sure if Georgia Tech considers bass in the same realm of guitar or not. I guess that's what orientation is for.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by The_Paranoia
I would sure love to. But my family wants me to continue playing Baseball. I've been told by college scouts that I have talent and could go to college on it, but I really dont want to. It's just really boring to me now. My mom thinks I dont want to play because my friends would laugh at me, but I really don't like it.

Plus I don't exactly wanna go to college. You go to college to be what? Doctors, bankers, lawyers, and things like that. To me that is all really boring. But oh well, I'm only a sophomore, I got time.

I does seem boring but, if you work your ass off in med school and afterwards, you could work like 4-day weeks and retire earlier.
I'm gonna work harder to get there.

EDIT: I would still love to get a career in music, this is a back-up plan.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
hah yeah man
my parents expect me to be on of those sucsessful jobs

but i think you should do what you want haha

and i didnt mean teaching music..
i meant like recording, doing gigs all that stuff
Quote by KKING911
I does seem boring but, if you work your ass off in med school and afterwards, you could work like 4-day weeks and retire earlier.
I'm gonna work harder to get there.

EDIT: I would still love to get a career in music, this is a back-up plan.

Well, this will totally counteract what I just said but, being a doctor always seemed kinda cool to me. My uncle is a surgeon I believe. But its not anything I think I would enjoy doing the rest of my life so I wouldn't want my family to spend thousands of dollars on it.
Quote by The_Paranoia
Well, this will totally counteract what I just said but, being a doctor always seemed kinda cool to me. My uncle is a surgeon I believe. But its not anything I think I would enjoy doing the rest of my life so I wouldn't want my family to spend thousands of dollars on it.

Meh, you're still sophomore. You might change, who knows.
It isn't for everybody.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Teachers and counsellors have always said to pursue a career based on what you're interested in, not in how much money you think you'll make. I'm in a similar situation as you right now. I would sure love to do something music related after high school, but it really seems quite risky and challenging.
Quote by LeeSympathetic
Hey guys,
just wondering if there's any full-time musicians here.. Or planning to be one
That is what I'm going to college for.
Quote by LeeSympathetic
Is it hard or was hard keeping it up?
Musicians that do very well with money make up a very small amount of musicians. From what I've heard, it's very difficult to be a musician that makes a relatively large income. The huge majority end up having to teach at least a little. Very few can make lots of money without teaching, like the famous musicians.
Quote by LeeSympathetic
I'm actually planning to be in a band that's willing to give their all into music as well as I am.
I hate to be rude, but this isn't a rare thing to come across...
Quote by LeeSympathetic
I'm only in highschool so it may sound dumb and immature;
It does to me.
Quote by LeeSympathetic
But I learned that music is my passion, and I wanna live it out.
Plus I'm a failure in school, so why not?
I would STRONGLY advise you to do good in schoolwork. I hate people who view music as this cool and fun hobby that doesn't involve any academic education. Learn about music in college. However, unless you go to a conservatory (I'm generalizing big-time, but I'm going to assume a conservatory isn't for you), you're going to have to do well in other subjects.
Quote by LeeSympathetic
But I want to know if I'll go anywhere in life..
Well, it depends on what you want to do. It's not as if there is one career called "Music". Some aren't as risky. If you want to be a music teacher, odds are you eventually obtain a steady income. If you want to hit it big in a band and tour and get laid every night, odds aren't great....
Quote by LeeSympathetic
And I'll be able to pay for my rent/food/water/some musical equipment/gas in the future...
I don't think this is asking too much. But I personally want more luxuries from my life.
Quote by LeeSympathetic
Yeah I am right now.
I'm totally down and committed into being in a good, talented band.
I already spent alot of money on guitar stuff anyway
and I suck in highschool.
And I have no interest in being a dentist, doctor or whatever people do these days.
Music is my passion and im sure its everybody else's here too so you guys know what im talking about :P

im just afraid that things wont turn out well
like i wont find anyone out there like me

Did you just repost your answer to the topic you started and already answered?
I suggest you get a an education beyond high school.

I went to Full Sail for a Bachelors Degree in Recording Arts. I wouldn't say I'm a full time musician but I can tell from the people and bands I have worked with that only music as a career is not a good choice. Specially if you don't go farther than high school.
Just finish high school despite you "Being bad at school"

High school is just hoop jumping, nothing too special.
I'm planning on majoring in jazz studies. I know it's not likely that I'll make much money and I think it's important that people who want to major in music know that.

And FWIW, I usually do really well in school.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
I plan on teaching privately, I am taking music theory one when school starts in fall, music theory two the next year, I'm doing guitar II this year as well, (it's classical guitar) and also I take private lessons. I think after college I should be fit to teach but I'm afraid I may not be experienced enough, I'll have good knowledge but only like 8 years of playing after 4 years of college and I wanna teach during college too.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
not to put anyones dreams down

and what would i know im in highschool

BUT

i know alot of people that have gotten careers outside of music and do a well paying 9 - 5 job and are still great musicians who play in clubs and pubs most weekends. They have enough money to support them with whatever they want to do musically.

so kinda what im trying to say is that

You can choose a career outside of music. There will always be time to play music outside of work.
Quote by jack_mckinnon
not to put anyones dreams down

and what would i know im in highschool

BUT

i know alot of people that have gotten careers outside of music and do a well paying 9 - 5 job and are still great musicians who play in clubs and pubs most weekends. They have enough money to support them with whatever they want to do musically.

so kinda what im trying to say is that

You can choose a career outside of music. There will always be time to play music outside of work.

Yeah but why should I pick a job I'm going to hate? When I could teach what I love?
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I know what you mean, Id love to dedicate entirely to music and try and make it big, but you should know that there are chances that you wont go as far as you would have hoped.
This is what stops me, cos I dont want to end up teaching, not that theres anything wrong with that, but I want the gigs and recording, and tours.

Go for it if its what you love, but keep in mind that things may not go the way you expected.