Hey guys, my friend is looking into getting a bass, so I'd like to ask you guys for some suggestions on what we should be looking for in a bass. She likes playing Bob Dylan, Smashing Pumpkins, Coheed and Cambria, Death Cab for Cutie, and other indie bands, but I'm also getting her into Megadeth and QOTSA.

She has $300-$500 to spend on a bass, and about the same to spend on a amp. So help finding both of those would be much appreciated.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by BulletFrost
Try looking into some Squires, like the classic vibe http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?section=basses&subcat=classicvibeseries and the VM ones aswell http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?section=basses&subcat=vintagemodifiedseries

Id personally would go for the VM jazz. Now im not sure but it might be in your price range.

I can get a Fender MIM Jazz or Precision in her price range, no need to go for a squire.
hmm... cv '51 p-bass, vm jbass, vm p-bass.

or, my old standby, a Ibanez GSR200.

if she wants to be gigging anytime soon, she wants it to be 300 for bass, 600 for amp.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Jul 14, 2008,
are vm jbass and vm p-bass better than the Fender Standards for both the Jazz and Precision?..cause like I said in my last post, we can get the Fender standards in her price range. I'm just going on what I know about squire guitars, they are good for the beginner that isn't sure if he'll stick with it, but they aren't very good past that stage. She knows she will stick with bass, so something with a progressing player in mind would be nice.

I've been looking at the Epiphone Thunderbird along with the Fender P and Jazz bass and the Ibanez ICB300EX (the iceman bass). Would any of these do the trick?..just asking because we can try these ones out (except for the ibanez) at our local music store.
not the T-bird at all, and the Iceman probably won't do as well either for folky alternative. and unless you are practicing, you want an amp that will cut into those bass guitar funds. you need a lot more wattage to cut through the mix.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by _KurtCobain_77
are vm jbass and vm p-bass better than the Fender Standards for both the Jazz and Precision?..cause like I said in my last post, we can get the Fender standards in her price range. I'm just going on what I know about squire guitars, they are good for the beginner that isn't sure if he'll stick with it, but they aren't very good past that stage. She knows she will stick with bass, so something with a progressing player in mind would be nice.

I've been looking at the Epiphone Thunderbird along with the Fender P and Jazz bass and the Ibanez ICB300EX (the iceman bass). Would any of these do the trick?..just asking because we can try these ones out (except for the ibanez) at our local music store.

T-Birds are a no-no. Nosediving necks, and bad tone/fret access. Get a Fender standard or the VM Squire.

As far as amps go, get a Orange Crush 20B or a Tiny terror is she isnt planning on gigging. They look and sound great BTW
You stole my Overture
Ampeg BA115
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA115-Bass-Amp-Series-Combo?sku=481777
that amp won't cut through?..how many SS watts would a Bass amp need to keep up with a 15watt guitar tube amp and a drummer doesn't pound the **** out of his drums (I clear him easy with the 15watt tube amp when he plays SP and Co&Ca with us). Like I said, I am a noob when it comes to bass stuff.

Question on the fenders, what is the difference between the Jazz and Precision?..which
pickups do which tones better?
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Jul 14, 2008,
I suggest 200. I think the Acoustic B200 is cheap enough that you can get a Fender, and it is probably my own next amp...

jazz is more versatile, but the P fits in most things. I say the J, it's a little more comfortable, usually. have her try both.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I suggest 200. I think the Acoustic B200 is cheap enough that you can get a Fender, and it is probably my own next amp...

jazz is more versatile, but the P fits in most things. I say the J, it's a little more comfortable, usually. have her try both.

Ok, so I think we'll just go into the shop and let her have a go on the fenders and see which she likes more.

So 200watts you say? alrighty, any brands I should look for?..I know to avoid behringer.
I like Acoustic. many are wary, but the two I've played are excellent. Fender is supposed to be good, along with Ashdown, and I think there are a few other good ones.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Ampeg BA115
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA115-Bass-Amp-Series-Combo?sku=481777
that amp won't cut through?..how many SS watts would a Bass amp need to keep up with a 15watt guitar tube amp and a drummer doesn't pound the **** out of his drums (I clear him easy with the 15watt tube amp when he plays SP and Co&Ca with us). Like I said, I am a noob when it comes to bass stuff.

Question on the fenders, what is the difference between the Jazz and Precision?..which
pickups do which tones better?

Doesn't cut through. I have it and its pretty much cranked for PRACTICE. Not to mention, it doesn't sound that good. Its an okay amp. The DI is pretty much unusable as I've recently found due to the noise from it. The tweeter is also fairly noisy. However, with all of this cranking, it is showing no signs of giving out, so that is a point in its favor. If you get a used bass for around $300, then you can get a nice GIGGABLE amp with your price range.
Thanks for the responses guys, I can now go into the store knowing what I'm looking for in bass equipment.
Does she have an amp yet? And, imo the squier vm jazz is just as good if not better than the fender mim jazz.
Quote by ccmetz2020
Does she have an amp yet? And, imo the squier vm jazz is just as good if not better than the fender mim jazz.

i hear that, but where the VM jazz is highly rated in this forum, the classic vibe 60's jazz bass is also really good
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I highly recommend a soundgear sr300. it's right in her price range, and the thin neck will make it a lot easier for her smaller hands. But that's assuming she has small hands.
An Ashdown combo would be in your price range and is relatively cheap for what it puts out:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=ashdown+mag&st=

Thats the whole range of Ashdown MAGs and I own the MAG300 C115 combo and the 210 cabinet and I can tell you that its a very nice amp.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
(I hear him easy with the 15watt tube amp when he plays SP and Co&Ca with us)

Drumming CoCa softly?

BLASPHEMY!

Anyhow, isn't 200W a bit overkill? sure, she'll have a wonderful amp to use when it comes to gigging and shiz, but until then it won't get used to any extent! even 100W is alright until you're really gigging or your drummers heavy handed!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I'd stick with 200, she may jam with a heavy handed drummer every once and a while, and nobody likes to be inaudible.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by IndieMetalhead
Drumming CoCa softly?

BLASPHEMY!

Anyhow, isn't 200W a bit overkill? sure, she'll have a wonderful amp to use when it comes to gigging and shiz, but until then it won't get used to any extent! even 100W is alright until you're really gigging or your drummers heavy handed!

heh, its not that he plays it softly per-say, its more or less the fact that I can turn the gain up a bit on the amp to push the tubes harder when I'm playing Smashing Pumpkins or Coheed.

So, I think we're gonna still go for the 200w, just so that we have the head room to work with if we need it for outdoor gigs and such.
Ive yet to play a MIM standard Fender Jazz that was as nice as the VM Squire I played, they really are an excellent bass for their price
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
A MIM Fender Jazz is an excellent starter/intermediate bass.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
A MIM Fender Jazz is an excellent starter/intermediate bass.

Too right! I wish i started with a fender It would have saved me the pain of going from an Encore to an Epiphone before i got to my Jazz...

Sigh....

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
get like a cheap dean or ibanez cause they make beginner basses that hold up better then most, and then spend the rest of the money on a decent amp.