Last Sunday was the first time we've been able to practice in almost a month. All we did was bitch and complain the whole practice. A song I had singal-handidly wrote was all of a sudden not good enough, when it was "awesome" before. Not to mention they were trying to tell me that my tone sucked by trying to say it would sound much better scooped

It doesn't help the fact that nobody else but me knew what the hell they were talking about, including the other guitarest. So our new bassist showed up today and he helped me kill their theory Yet the entire time they're trying to punk me in front this guy after I worked so hard get him. He has a bunch experience, his own pro gear, and an 8-track recorder with 2 mics (both which we were missing and no one had cash for) To be honest, they should be kissing my ass.

I'm the only one who requests practice on a regular basis, the only one who knows any music theory, AND the only one that is constantly coming up with new stuff. YET I'm the least experience, 2 years. This is my first band so I don't want quit, but I almost did on principle today. Is this **** normal with bands starting out?
Last edited by bdof at Jul 13, 2008,
Damn straight. My friend roped me into many "bands". They all failed miserably, and I refuse to join one now. I doubt I ever will.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
I'm at the helm of my band. We've got about twenty five songs, of which I've written all but three, all the practices are at my house and called by me, and I generally decide setlists and stuff like that (except I get input from the drummer, who wrote the other three songs and sings about half the stuff). I kind of like it that way. Being the only one who feels so strongly about it allows me to sort of steer it in the direction I'm most interested in.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by ibanez for life
get a new band

I wish it were that simple. We're all in the military and I don't have the loosest schedule. These opportunities aren't easy to get, even though I'm in Vegas
Last edited by bdof at Jul 13, 2008,
Get a dictionary. And then a new band.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Quote by fretsonfire74
Take the bassist to a new band.

I wish it were that simple. The bassist is good friends with the drummer, who's good friends with the singer. Believe it or not, I would be the first one tossed, despite working harder then anyone else. I've only started writing personal stuff since about a week before joining the band, so I would only get better
If you guys aren't getting anything done, then leave the band. If you're not even making any music, then what's the point?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by fretsonfire74
Take the bassist to a new band.

+1

Sometimes that happens with bands just starting out, but if you guys cant come up with a compromise then leave with the bassist and get a new band.
?!
At least you have a band........

New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by XianXiuHong
This is sorta like the band I'm in now, only I'm not constantly bitched it, I bitch at the members to ****ing PRACTICE.

lol. I feel your pain.
My band went through two rhythm guitarists, then we ended up with a three person band. Now I moved to bass and some lead stuff, while we have another lead and rhythm, (when I play lead), and the former bassist only plays bass sometimes, and does rhythm most of the time. So yes, this kind of stuff is pretty normal with bands starting out, and we did get into a lot of fights with the first two guitarists.
I know what you'r going through. I've had the same situation for over a year. I'm the only one who rights, the only one who organizes and eventually it's at the point now where were not really a band anymore and I just use the drummer for recordings and do everything else myself.

But, what's strange is that i recently founf out through our ex-guitar instructor that all of my friends do want to play, and just think I don't. None of them ever seem to want to play, or call me up, but they think it's me.

I sort of think what you're going through is just the responsibility of being a bandleader. You do have organize a lot, and you may even have to do a lot of the writing yourself, but you just have to stick through it. Everyone and a while the guys would start complainign about the songs, "too technical", "too fast" "too much harmonizing ", "too much like the last song" but in the end you just got to stick through, at least if you feel the musicians are capable and you shouldn't leave.

I, however, cant wait to find a new band in college.
Thats why i like my band. Its just 3 of us which means less arguments and less clashing of styles.
yea i hate it when people in your band are less motivated and contribute less

id like it if i got someone who was more motivated and contributed more than me

it'd be like mega crazy!!!!!!
Well, I'm pretty good friends with these guys, but I think my presistance is a little annoying to them from time to time. I guess that's the cost of having priorities. We're getting a studio in September, that way it doesn't have to be a group thing everytime. Plus, I finally get to crank my Soldano up in a music friendly room (garages are not friendly)
Grab the pro, and bail the sinking ship... This has the potential to happen a ****load in bands - Although there's bitching, and then there's whining - once it turns to whining, then you go with
'A Captain goes down with his ship.... Congratulations, you've received a promotion. See ya, suckers!'
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
yeah the bands ive been in were terrible, noone could be bothered to practice at all so in the end we ended it and went our different ways
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
quit n laugh as they fail without you
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
i was in a situation of only gettin 2 hr practices in once a week and i couldnt take it. the lead guitarist at the time and drummer never practiced, which made it tough on me playing bass and the rhythm guitarist. we left them and got a true bassist and a solid drummer. and we switch on and off for the guitar rhythm and lead. so much happier now. i'd suggest moving on if you can, if not well do what yuo can.

also remind them that you're gonna hate your songs by the time you get them down right. i know im getting sick of a few of ours and its only because we've played them soooo much. but practice makes perfect
Well, I have been only writing for about 3 months, and my stuff gets progressivley better, yet in a lot of ways stay very similar. I'm working on lead a little more, but it's tough for me. It doesn't help when our other guitarest comes up with a great (and I DO mean great) song. Then they start saying, "why don't you write more stuff like that man?" Well' there's a problem: I've been playing for 2 years, he's been playing for 7. I've got a song I wrote by myself that's almost as good after 2 months of writing (working on it for only a month), and the song he wrote is 6 years in the making! I guess I'll ask the bassist to start jamming with me more because we live pretty close together.
Quote by InvaderTSN
Make a new band with the bassist.

+1 If your bassist had your back, if you ask him to go and start a new band, he'll follow.
He's better friends with the drummer then me. I really don't want to leave the band, I'm just sick and tired of the BS of being the least experienced, yet I bust my ass with no appreciation.
you'll find quickly that just cause your friends with someone dosnt mean you, or them, are the best fit for the band. sometimes its better to come into it in a professional manner, then become friends through that, instead of feeling obligated to help your friends along, if your serious about trying to get the band off the ground lvl. if your having a blast jammin with your buddies, then stay with that. cause its fun hanging with your friends just playing music sometimes, even when you know nothing will really come out of it.
the same thing happened with my first band. the last time we tried to practice we just screwed around for an hour and a half and then me and the bassist decided to break it up.i was the only one who ever tried to get us together anyways.
its depressing when you want to put so much effort in and the rest of them dont. makes you wonder why. damn im glad i made my switch. best choice of my "music life".
Well, our next practice is on Sunday and if I've got a pretty cool new song in the works. I'm not going to bring it up till we've at least gotten most of the new song done. But only then will I want to jam with just the other guitarest or the bassist. Everybody else just slows us down and pisses and moans that they aren't partaking in the song. The fear I have is that I'll work my ass off with this new song and become quite proud of it after a few weeks or so, only for it to be ripped to shreds by my bandmates. "Make it faster" "Put that section here" "Why don't you let me play that and you can play power chords(wtf)" I've only been writing for less than 3 months, and I think the stuff I'm doing is pretty original in terms of note progression and time signitures.
Quote by bdof
Last Sunday was the first time we've been able to practice in almost a month. All we did was bitch and complain the whole practice. A song I had singal-handidly wrote was all of a sudden not good enough, when it was "awesome" before. Not to mention they were trying to tell me that my tone sucked by trying to say it would sound much better scooped

It doesn't help the fact that nobody else but me knew what the hell they were talking about, including the other guitarest. So our new bassist showed up today and he helped me kill their theory Yet the entire time they're trying to punk me in front this guy after I worked so hard get him. He has a bunch experience, his own pro gear, and an 8-track recorder with 2 mics (both which we were missing and no one had cash for) To be honest, they should be kissing my ass.

I'm the only one who requests practice on a regular basis, the only one who knows any music theory, AND the only one that is constantly coming up with new stuff. YET I'm the least experience, 2 years. This is my first band so I don't want quit, but I almost did on principle today. Is this **** normal with bands starting out?

Yep.
Many guys pick up a guitar and join a band because they think it'll be a bit of fun and that someone else will do all the work. You meet them over and over again in this game and usualy end up serving time with people like them in a band from time to to time. Which is what it looks like you're stuck with here for the moment.
Start a side project with the bassist, look for dedicated musicians, eventualy you'll have a band you're happy with and you can leave the other guys behind.
thats pretty lame. Your only real solution is to find a new band or form a new one with the bassist. My first and second band are total epic phails so I know how you feel.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.