So I'm new to recording and have a Behringer U-connect interface connected to a Dell laptop with Windows XP and a copy of Cakewalk Sonar licensed through my school. When I record something and then play it back, there are short moments of static noise or just general distortion of the recording every so often throughout the recording. However, when I play it back again numerous times, they still occur, but at different places each time. Therefore, it leads me to believe that its actually not part of the recording but some problem in the playback. Please let me know if anybody has any experience with this and any possible ideas on how to fix it. Thanks in advance.
What format did you export the song as? I've had trouble with the WAV format that Sonar exports. Try converting it to MP3.

It could also be a driver problem. A hardware problem (soundcard).

What are using to record and playback the song?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
This was without exporting the song, just playing the track back in Sonar. I am using a USB interface for input, but just the stock soundcard for output. Also, I noticed that it makes these little sounds when I'm playing back other audio too, so I'm assuming its just the soundcard.
I would say it's most likely a driver issue with your internal sound card. Check to see if there are any updates from the dell website. Also, check your latency settings. Sometimes that can cause a lot of unwanted clicking during playback. I'm not sure if Sonar is ASIO compatable or not, but if it is, sometimes using ASIO4ALL can fix many issues. Search for it on google, it's a free download. Also, you can try using your USB interface for playback to see if the problem goes away.
I do know from experience that Sonar does not play nice with stock sound cards.

It could also be an overload issue. You could be overwhelming your RAM and/or CPU during playback in Sonar. Especially if you have many tracks with VST applied.

You could also try adjusting your audio buffers.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Norton causes all types of problems. I hate Norton with a passion, almost as much as I hate Vista. Hell, maybe more...
Unplug your laptop from the wall power, see if the problem still exist in battery operation. Laptop power supplies are usually horrible with grounding and shielding issues that cause all sorts of odd interference.
Dell laptops are really strange, I know three people who all had theirs for a year, and suddenly all of their USB ports just stopped fuctioning completely, probably a coincidence, but i'd never buy one. Sorry I can't really help you though, I've never experienced that problem with any sort of computer, good luck with it.
I'm the new king
I taste the queen
In here we are all anemic
In here, anemic and sweet
This is a thought, are you recording with a plugin which isn't paid for?

Some demo plugins result in white noise every 30 seconds for how long it is in use.

Worth a check?
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Quote by Death-Speak

You could also try adjusting your audio buffers.

This was my first thought.... the most likely suspect, I would guess.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.