My two choices for future amp possibilities would be this marshal combo and this marshal stack:

combo: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG250DFX-Stereo-Combo-Amp-101693679-i1145928.gc

stack: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG100HDFX-MG412-Half-Stack-with-Digital-Effects-482805-i1145907.gc

My band wants to be playing a few small gigs, nothing huge, but with my current gear (spider III 75) the tone is crap and doenst produce the power i need. The combo i think would probably produce enough power i would think for small gigs, but it is worth it to shell out another 100 for the stack? The thing I'm worried about with the stack is the portability, is it easily carry-able if i just want to put it in the car and bring it to my friends house and jam? Is it too large/powerful to use as a practice amp? OR should i keep my spider III as a practice amp while getting the stack?

I dont want to go over 600 for an amp, thats already pushing it with my current budget.
Many would say you can get something better for the price.

Edit: Referring to MGs.
Hmm suggestions of specific amps would be appreciated too I suppose. Its hard doing research on amps.

I play mostly a little harder than punk rock. I solo a lot, but also play a lot of rhythm. I want hard rock, with the ability to play metal if i was in the mood. ANy suggestions?
The MG's don't have any better tone than the Spider III's. At least the Spiders are good practice amps.

And you don't need a stack, just about everywhere that you really need anything more volume than a good tube combo can produce has a PA that you can mic with.

All that said, I'd suggest a B-52 AT-212, and they go for right at 600 bucks. They're versatile enough to nail anything from BB King to heavy metal tones. My band plays metalcore, and I've gotten lots of compliments on my tone, both my distortion and my cleans.

EDIT: 600 is new, but you could find it used for probably 450-500.
Last edited by Pyrofretnic at Jul 14, 2008,
Don't bother with either. It has a Marshall name, but not a Marshall sound.
And you don't need a half stack. Get a combo instead.
I've noticed that MG's sound like absolutely crap when turned up. I recommend that you get a Randall RG50TC.
yeah - do yourself a favor and dont buy either of those amps. I've played the 250 and a smaller one. They only have a Marshall logo on them and not the sound.

Look into the Peavey Valveking and then the B-52s and Randalls as mentioned. There are others too especially if you can go used. Have you ever checked out Craigslist.com for your area assuming you are in the States?

Oh, and you don't need a half stack and you don't need more then 50 watts.
Easy...get a Marshall MG cab and a Marshall 8100. Awesome tone. Chuck Schuldiner and In Flames used them and they're one of the best heads IMO for under 500.
Quote by JagStang5246
Easy...get a Marshall MG cab and a Marshall 8100. Awesome tone. Chuck Schuldiner and In Flames used them and they're one of the best heads IMO for under 500.

Eh, stay clear of the Marshall MG cab...

I can't comment on the Marshall 8100 though.

EDIT: As for a recommendation, I'll rep the Peavey Classic 30. After testing out every conceivable amp in the price range (and I'm a classic to hard rock guy), I fell in love with it. It will do hard rock no problem, although you will probably need a pedal to dial in true metal tone.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Last edited by FourSticks17 at Jul 14, 2008,
Quote by Pyrofretnic
The MG's don't have any better tone than the Spider III's. At least the Spiders are good practice amps.

And you don't need a stack, just about everywhere that you really need anything more volume than a good tube combo can produce has a PA that you can mic with.

All that said, I'd suggest a B-52 AT-212, and they go for right at 600 bucks. They're versatile enough to nail anything from BB King to heavy metal tones. My band plays metalcore, and I've gotten lots of compliments on my tone, both my distortion and my cleans.

EDIT: 600 is new, but you could find it used for probably 450-500.

Oh wow, thanks a lot! I looked into that one and it looks great! i will have to try it out, but thanks for all the suggestions everybody
B-52s are really great amps. I suggest the AT-100 Head, if you want a stack, or the 212 Combo. Beware though, they are annoyingly Heavy. My 112 came with wheels though
It seems the B-52 combo with the 2 12inch speakers is discontinued. DO you think it will be easily findable in the future?