Hey, I was stupid enough to buy a Fender FM 212R 100w amp. The distortion on that sounds horrible...

Anyway I was hoping a decent pedal will give me a bit better tone using the fairly good clean channel on my amp, I was thinking along the lines of a Metal Muff, Metal Zone, Metalcore pedal.

The bands I play are...BFMV, Atreyu, A7x, Billy Talent, Cancer Bats.

I don't have the option of going to a store to test them and I'll have to order it online, so I was hoping someone here would have experience with some pedals around the $200 AUD mark. Note: Australian Dollars.

Thanks in advance

Ps. My guitar is an Ashton starter guitar. I really want to upgrade it (I've been playing it for 5 years) but UG keeps telling me to buy a new amp instead. I only bought the fender amp not long ago so I'd rather get some use out of it...

Pps. My current pedal is a Zoom 505 II multi effects. It sounds really bad no matter how much i change settings. The tone is something like playing over a handheld radio.
Last edited by Platinumcs at Jul 14, 2008,
change ur amp. just b/c it's new doesn't mean you HAVE to hold on to it till you can't return it anymore...that's dumb.

and you already don't like the OD tones....so that's NOT gonna change w/ time. your ears have already told you the amp's limits as far as tone goes and that restricts it mostly to cleans. sell ur amp and fund yourself for a randall RG50 i say. don't try to polish a turd....it's gonna cost you money that isn't worth it. suffer w/ your tone for just a lil bit till you can finance an RG50.

you need to move past the distortion pedal into clean SS channel phase and into the OD pedal into overdriven tube amp phase. you'll love your tone i promise.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Has it been to long to return the amp. If it hasn't just return it. If it is to old sell it on ebay and pick up something like a used Roland Cube 30. The amp is alot more key to achieving tones then the guitar is.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Has it been to long to return the amp. If it hasn't just return it. If it is to old sell it on ebay and pick up something like a used Roland Cube 30. The amp is alot more key to achieving tones then the guitar is.

It's past the return period.

And I returned a cube 30 to buy it in the first place....
wow that was a dumb move really lol. um yea, sell ur amp...

or you can try an buy a pedal to make your amp good enough until you kick urself later for not just doing like we said in the first place. so suck it up, find out about how much you can get for your amp, then find out how much more you need for a nice higher gain tube amp. save up that much more, sell ur amp and pedal, and voila- ur ready for a new amp. you're gonna have to suffer w/ urs for a lil while til you can afford a new one....that's just one of the hassles we all gotta deal with. my blackheart is in the shop right now getting the transformer changed and my randall has been KIA for months...so i'm stuck using my ibanez 10 watt. imagine how I feel....good thing i'm getting both tube amps taken care of ASTAT.

but yea....we all go through this tone suffering period occasionally.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I feel terrible for returning the cube 30 believe me.
I played it twice out of the box but then returned it, because I had my heart set on a "bigger" amp. To me it looked like just another practice amp.
If you keep your fender get a Metal Muff.

If you get a tube amp get an OD-808/OD9 to boost the gain.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
tone is not really too big a consideration until you start jamming alot with other people or you play gigs. you don't NEED tone to play in your room to practice to get better, it does help though because it's cooler to practice with badass tone and that means you might practice more. to me it sounds like your still somewhat in the beginning stages of playing guitar, and i personally didn't really play with anybody else for about 4 years after i started playing. i would use those few years to save a bit of money up for some solid equipment. what you should do is stop buying what you can afford at any moment and try to figure out a good solid amp or guitar you would want to own and just start saving with the purpose to obtain the holy object.

if you want a new guitar, then get a new guitar instead of the amp. unless you are playing with other people that amp is not overly useful. you can easily hear yourself practicing in your room with a 15 watt solid state piece of crap(like the marshall valvestate i owned throughout high school), but if you want to keep up with a band you may want a 30 to 50 watt tube amp or a 100 to 150 watt solid state amp. but for right now i would probably either buy a mexican fender strat or tele(or any other equivalent ~350 to 450 USD guitar, like shecter, ibanez, etc) if you want a guitar, or an amp like a blackheart, orange tiny terror, or an epiphone valve jr. the valve Jr. itself is quite affordable at ~$99 USD and has the possibility of even being a christmas or birthday gift.

the moral of the story is don't buy stuff just to have another crappy(or crappier) version of something you already had, i went through 3 solid state POS's before i decided i just need to spend a good chunk of change on an amp or is was just gonna regret it.
metal muff will do what both boss pedals will do.........and better.