Well, Ive decided that Im probably going to get an Electric Guitar and begin to learn how to play. The main reason of this post is that I have no idea what Im looking for. Any suggestions, advice, anything is GREATLY appreciated!
That depends on what your budget is and the kind of music you like. Best advice is to go to Guitar Center and get a feel for as many as you can. See how you like the weight, etc. Don't spend too much on your first guitar though - as you learn you'll know what you like. Something like a Fender Squire, Epiphone Les Paul Studio, Ibanez, Jackson, etc. is a great learning guitar.
Well, for the genres, I like Metal and any kind of rock really. Would bands help?

For the budget, that wont be a problem...Lets just say I have that area covered due to a very, VERY, rich aunt.
can't go wrong with a mexican strat.

definitely check out everything in the store though, and i wouldn't spend a ton of money on your first guitar, since a lot of people give it up after a couple months
member #2 of the hippies kickass club
Don't get a strat for metal.

Get a jackson, esp, ibanez, bc rich or dean (i personally don't like the last 2, but the crazy shapes and big headstocks do nothing for me.)
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Well when you guys say cheap, how cheap should I go? Is there a point where if its too cheap its not worth getting?
$200 is not worth buying. But you said you have a rich aunt so aim for around $600.

For $600 you can get a good quality guitar which isn't ridiculously expensive if you quit, it also has a lot more resale value.

But a $600 guitar is going to sound like crap on a $150 amp. Try and get something in the $350+ range for amp.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
maybe an epiphone zakk wylde les paul?
i played one today and it was nice
as for amps
get something with built in effects
you dont need a tube amp for starting out
try a marshall MG or a line 6 or a roland
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Well you dont want to make your aunt spend a hell of a Lot, but for Metal and rock you cant really go wrong with these guitars, and they are pretty cheap:

ESP LTD EC-1000
ESP LTD MH-1000
Jackson Dinky
Ibanez RG1570
Ibanez S470
ibanez S5470 (more preferable, due to 24 fret neck but i dont know about price)

For amps, i would suggest:

B-52 AT-112 (what i have haha)
Used Peavey 5150
Used Mesa/Boogie F-30
If you can stretch your budget to the 1500 to 2000$ Range ( I dont know how rich the aunt is ) Then Higher end Mesa amps are great!
I dont really know a lot of cheaper metal amps, sorry.
Dammit, I wish I had a rich aunt to buy my first guitar. well, anyways, all I know is, don't underestimate the necessity of a good amp. you don't need a tremendous one, but let's just say DON'T buy a line 6 Spider 3
Lol, thanks again for the info guys. Also, like the recommendations Tuby. I like how you gave me the exact model and such. Should help a lot.
Quote by Lemuix13
Well, Ive decided that Im probably going to get an Electric Guitar and begin to learn how to play. The main reason of this post is that I have no idea what Im looking for. Any suggestions, advice, anything is GREATLY appreciated!

Guitar:
http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000natspaltedthin.html

Amp:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075

Amp can't take anything to heavy but is great to practice with.

good luck
ESP's are good for metal, look in the 400 series and up range.
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
If you don't feel bad about technically taking advantage of your aunt, get some good equipment. There have been topics here lately about beginners with good equipment, and some people are for i and others are against it...

I am totally for it. Having better equipment gives you better tone (usually) and encourages you to play, I would think.

As for suggestions on what to get, a nice practice tube amp would be great. For metal, I would suggest a Vox ADV30 or something like that. A Metal Muff effects pedal can help beef up the distortion and give it a nice overdriven boost. As for a guitar, Epiphone isn't as bad as some say. You can get a great Epi if you try them out at a local guitar shop.
Quote by Lemuix13
Well, for the genres, I like Metal and any kind of rock really. Would bands help?

For the budget, that wont be a problem...Lets just say I have that area covered due to a very, VERY, rich aunt.

ahh rich people using money thats not theirs, and being spoiled like brats, now where have I seen that before?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
ahh rich people using money thats not theirs, and being spoiled like brats, now where have I seen that before?

Dude, don't be a prick. At least he isn't spending it on drugs and stuff like that, you should encourage him!!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Dude, don't be a prick. At least he isn't spending it on drugs and stuff like that, you should encourage him!!

sorry I dont take advice from dancing bowls of chicken soup... I meant what I said...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
sorry I dont take advice from dancing bowls of chicken soup... I meant what I said...

And the TS shouldn't have to put up with pricks.
If the TS has more money than you, I have three words for you:
GET OVER IT.

Some people simply have more money to spend on luxury items such as guitars and amps. It's not of his doing, nor yours. So give advice or get the hell out.
Thanks for stickin up for me Nowhere, but I just disregarded his post anyway. Gonna talk to my aunt and go test out some of the guitars that were recommeded and such. Ill keep you guys posted.
Quote by ShredGod George
maybe an epiphone zakk wylde les paul?
i played one today and it was nice
as for amps
get something with built in effects
you dont need a tube amp for starting out
try a marshall MG or a line 6 or a roland

Don't listen to him. Since you dont really have a budget, I'd suggest either a Jackson Dinky, a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (If you don't want a Floyd Rose) or a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR (If you want a Floyd Rose). And for an amp, I'd have to agree with Tubyboulin's suggestions.
Quote by mafropetee

I brought my electric to school w/ no amp and started playing it, and some guy was like "I can barely hear it, and it doesn't sound all cool. I think it's a fake guitar"

g e a r//
Epi Futura Prophecy FX
Epi G-400
Boss DS-1
Vox AD15VT
Take a look at some mid-high level B.C Richs as well, might find something that really suits your style.
i guess, how much money do you have? the problem is that some companies give you more for your money than others, and also depending on the spec, you can cheap out and do ok, or cheap out and end up ruing the decision.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I recommend:

Epi Les Paul Standard - $ 450 (I'm gonna get one soon, they're really nice)
Roland Cube 30 - $275 (I think that's how much it is...) OR Roland Microcube RX - I don't know how much it is.

Seems like a good combo to me. I tried the Epi LP through a Microcube RX... great variety of tones, and sounded pretty great to me. I'm assuming the Cube 30 is of similar quality and range. Hope you like playing guitar!