I'm still working on breaking the ice with jazz improvisation, and i need some more progressions than ii-V-I. (although I'm sure that'd be enough to occupy me for ten years)

what are some other useful ones to experiment with? and are there any progressions that typically involve key changes? i've yet to experiment with improvising over key changes like that, so it'd be a real help.
You can cut and paste any sections of the full IV - vii - iii - vi - ii - V - I progression together, and use them to modulate by turning, say, a ii - V - I in C (Dm - G - C) into a iv - VII - III in Am.
Check out jazz songs you like and transcribe them. You'll discover different progressions and improve your understanding of theory at the same time.
Quote by aetherspear
try a V of V of V etc.. progression, aka Rhythm Changes.

Although, there is much more to the Rhythm Changes than "V of a V of a V etc." this guy is definitively on the right track.
Quote by mr_magic
Although, there is much more to the Rhythm Changes than "V of a V of a V etc." this guy is definitively on the right track.

well yeah of course, but to get ts started, there are tons of tunes based off of I Got rhythm.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I-VI7-ii-V7

When strummed right, it sounds very gypsy jazz. Strum each chord twice and play it really fast.

You can also do neat things like tritone substitutions so it looks like this:
I-bIII7-ii-bII7

Or you can substitute the I chord for a iii chord (as it moves well to the VI7 chord), so it looks like this:
iii-VI7-ii-V7

Kudos to anyone that finds the youtube video I got that of.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
I-VI7-ii-V7

Kudos to anyone that finds the youtube video I got that of.

Is it from the three part Romane lesson? The one where he has a red jacket and speaks French.