The name says it all~
I'm looking around for a good distortion pedal and heard digitech's were good
Depends on the model.

The Metal Master is good.

The Death Metal is bad.

The DS-7 has a large variety of tones.

But for the price, a Metal Muff would be better. Or if you have the bux, a Protone Body Rot 2.
I think I'm the only person on here who likes their Death Metal.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Tone is subjective.

What you want to do, is to either bring in your own equipment to test the pedal with (meaning your own guitar and amp), or if the retailer has a decent return policy, suck it up, buy it, then test it at home. If it's not what you're looking for then, simply return or exchange it (of course, make sure you know their return policy before initially purchasing it).

The pedal you use is but a part of the tone. It will sound different depending on the guitar/pickups and the amp being used.

That's why you want to be sure to try it with your own equipment before making a decision.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I have a Digitech Hot Head and like it a lot. It does a good 80's metal tone something like what you would expect out of a cranked JCM800.

I've also tried the Death Metal & Grunge pedals. The Death Metal sounded a little artificial to me, the Grunge sounded very good even though I don't play those styles of music. I have not tried the Hot Rod or Metal Master but hope to soon. I don't know of any other distortion pedals Digitech makes, but they make several other overdrives.
Quote by BladeSlinger

i actually quite liked it too. i tried one through a fender hot rod deluxe today. i accept that some people don't like the way it sounds, but its not a bad pedal, its just a bit silly that it doesn't have a gain knob.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i actually quite liked it too. i tried one through a fender hot rod deluxe today. i accept that some people don't like the way it sounds, but its not a bad pedal, its just a bit silly that it doesn't have a gain knob.

That was my main problem with it.....I have a Metal Muff now so I can use either for whatever situation...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I have the screamin' blues and it is nice for when you want just a little dirt to your sound, or if you use it with another distortion pedal you get amazing harmonics and endless sustain
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
The Death Metal and Grunge are both great bass distortions but not so great on guitar. The metal head is decent.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
What's your budget?
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
I've been able to get some good tones out of my Metal master, I understand some people on UG may not think so, but I made it work just fine.

Screamin' Blues I liked at first, but it can get a little noisy, and I hardly find use for it anymore.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Quote by BladeSlinger

I liked it when I played it at the store, but I didn't end up buying it because I spent the money on something else. =P
Quote by PunkRocker33133
The Death Metal and Grunge are both great bass distortions but not so great on guitar. The metal head is decent.

Yea, I use mine for my bass.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger

I own it, and used it for one and a half year now. For practice and jamming, I didn't complain. But for gigging you might just want to buy an amp instead lol (no experience of gigging though). It gives you a kinda warm, digital sound... but if you have played for a while and have a band and all I wouldn't recommend it. You can get a lot better sound even if it doesn't sound BAD.
The hothead gives a kind of heavy defined distortion, I don't think the sound is worth the money on it though, it didn't seem to change much considering it costs £40 or so. The bad monkey gives nice overdrive, not much distortion though. The death metal one isn't paticularily good, but then again, I don't play that kinda music, same for the grunge.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Quote by BladeSlinger

Fear not BladeSlinger! I own the Death Metal and I love it!
Quote by Scream And Fly
Boss Metal Zone

WRONG!!!!

X-series are bad IMO.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots