Yet I haven't learned many songs. I usually play about 2-3 hours a day. The only songs I have learned are an electric version of Greensleeves, Zakk Wylde's Star Spangled Banner, and America the Beautiful. Basically I can play okay and accurately just can't solo. Can anyone tell me my problem?
You're here whining instead of practicing.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
you need to push yourself to learn things you cant do, for instance learn some solos that you cannot play very well right now (For example: fade to black, stairway to heaven, hotel california), and work on them. You have to constantly be learning new stuff, you do not advance much by practicing the same stuff.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
I have been playing since around June 2007. I just study scales all the time and try to be really accurate and fast.
Quote by Lionheartmatt
I have been playing since around June 2007. I just study scales all the time and try to be really accurate and fast.

Stop doing that for a start - that's not going to benefit you at all.

Scales are something to use, not something to play...if you focus too much on playing them up and down then that's all you'll do which isn't all that great to listen too. Likewise speed isn't important, your ability to play musically and accurately is though.

Basically, stop practicing and start playing - there's no "guitar olympics" yet so there's no point overdoing the exercises. People want to hear you play music, and I'm assuming that's also what prompted you to pick the guitar up in the first place so stop learning things and instead start putting the things you've already learned to some practical use.

Also, if really only learned those 3 songs then you're going to have to start at the beginning, as in simple, chord based songs. The reason? It's highly likely that there's some gaping holes in your knowledge - you've been playing scales but how well do you understand them? Likewise do you have a working knowledge of basic chord construction or at least a decent chord vocabulary to draw on. Gong back to basics with the songs you learn will allow you to identify and fill any gaps. If, for example, you try to play Bad Moon Rising and you find you're struggling with the chord changes and maintaining the rhythm with you're right hand then you pretty much need to go right back to square one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 14, 2008,