http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/msg/751345233.html

Just found this locally, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about it. I don't know too much about amps, but I am looking for a tube. I also want something that will be loud enough to jam with a drummer. Right now, I have a Peavey Bandit 112.

Edit: I play Classic rock, Hard Rock, some metal.. Any kind of Rock really. I will probably buy a overdrive pedal along with the amp I get. Probably a Maxon or Ibanez.
Last edited by JoshRocco at Jul 14, 2008,
it's a good amp

loud enough but fender tube distortion is kinda thin, perfect for hard rock but not so much metal
Quote by marshmellow666
it's a good amp

loud enough but fender tube distortion is kinda thin, perfect for hard rock but not so much metal

Would a distortion pedal help for metal? Or does a distortion pedal interfere with an amps natural tone? I don't play anything too Heavy, mostly Maiden, Metallica, etc. More like classic metal.
Quote by JoshRocco
Would a distortion pedal help for metal? Or does a distortion pedal interfere with an amps natural tone? I don't play anything too Heavy, mostly Maiden, Metallica, etc. More like classic metal.

it would sound great with a pedal
Quote by marshmellow666
it would sound great with a pedal

Haha was that sarcasm? Sometimes I can't tell online. What pedal would you recommend if it wasn't?
Quote by JoshRocco
Haha was that sarcasm? Sometimes I can't tell online. What pedal would you recommend if it wasn't?

I don't think it was sarcasm

I thinks it's a pretty good amp. but it can be thin
Quote by brandonroy
I don't think it was sarcasm

I thinks it's a pretty good amp. but it can be thin

Thanks, could you recommend a distortion pedal? I was thinking a Maxon or Ibanez overdrive plus a separate distortion pedal, how does that sound?
Well tbh I don't think it's a good idea for you to get that amp. Fenders are beest for blues and classic rock. IMO they are really bad for hard rock and most of all metal. The heaviest stuff I'd play with a Fender is Led Zeppelin, beyond that it's not just tight enough for metal or hard rock. They have very low gain, perfect for blues and classic rock, but not good for harder stuff. With a distortion pedal it will still like the tightness needed for the heavier stuff you play!

Even though you play classic rock, Fenders are more for blues I'd say.

What would I recommend then? Wella Blackheart is in your pricerange and together with a Maxon OD9 it should do the things you'd like! If you can strech that far, a Peavey Windsor would be perfect for you!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well tbh I don't think it's a good idea for you to get that amp. Fenders are beest for blues and classic rock. IMO they are really bad for hard rock and most of all metal. The heaviest stuff I'd play with a Fender is Led Zeppelin, beyond that it's not just tight enough for metal or hard rock. They have very low gain, perfect for blues and classic rock, but not good for harder stuff. With a distortion pedal it will still like the tightness needed for the heavier stuff you play!

Even though you play classic rock, Fenders are more for blues I'd say.

What would I recommend then? Wella Blackheart is in your pricerange and together with a Maxon OD9 it should do the things you'd like! If you can strech that far, a Peavey Windsor would be perfect for you!

The windsor doesn't seem like too much money, It should be loud enough to play over drums correct? I plan on trying to find whatever I want at a music store and trying it out.

Would the Maxon OD be better than the Ibanez? The Ibanez is a little cheaper but the descriptions make them sound very similar.
The Windsor will definetly work great in a band.

They are in essence the same. You see, the old Tubescreamers during the '70s-early '2000s were built by Maxon and then sold by Ibanez. Ibanez reissue is pretty good, but the Maxon one is closer to the original, being an exact replica of the 80s TS9!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009