Ok so I've been playing for a couple of years now and play just about anything that sounds cool from metal to bluesy stuff. I already own an Ibanez SA260 which is an amazing guitar and covers the harder, but also the soft part of my musical taste. Now my favourite band is the Red Hot Chili Peppers and I love playing stuff by them but also enjoy playing stuff by Foo Fighters, Bloc Party, Hendrix and so on. Now I'm going over to the states (I live in Switzerland) for a few weeks in summer and since the exchange rate is soooo low i can't resist not buying a guitar because they're like doubled the price where I live. Yeah so I'm kinda looking for a guitar that will give me that chrunchy, aggressive clean sound that John Frusciante has on pretty much all of the albums at one point, but that you can alos hear in dave grohls guitar work or bloc party. They all have that clean tone that I'm looking for. So my question to UG is what guitar could I get that would give me that tone with a budget of about 600-700 dollars? Oh and if it helps I have a Randall VMX 30 Amplifier.

Thanks in advance
MIM strat, although it having only 21 frets pisses me off, its has a GREAT feel and tone.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
MIM Strat is a good option, but you could just roam the second hand shops with guitars and find a nice Fender / Fender Squier made in Japan. I'm a big fan of Japanese instruments and recommend them to everyone - they are cheap and as good as Highway One stratocasters (if not better).

If you want to get this aggressive, slightly dirty clean sound of Frusciante, it's more a matter of amp than the guitar. Your Randall is SS amp, I think, so it isn't really that good for RHCP tone; you want a tube amp, set on the edge of the break-up. For 700 bucks you could easily buy a cheap tube AND a guitar, you simply have to find the right ones.
Well im assuming the Ibanez has HB's on it so get something with singles (like hendrix etc)

As everyones already said the MIM strats are great and dont break the bank, so ide say either that or get a fat strat so u can get a variety if sounds.

You could also check out the PRS SE range.. they have this great HSS strat style guitar which is the SE EGH

have fun on your travels!
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
a used peavy classic 30 is pretty cheap (Ive seen them on craig list for like 300$), awesome tone, and really loud.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
a used peavy classic 30 is pretty cheap (Ive seen them on craig list for like 300$), awesome tone, and really loud.

Yeah, but (as I assume) if he buys the thing in the US, he will have to take it with him on the plane. Mind the costs of transport. Even a small tube 5 watt tube could give him the tone, and they are pretty cheap (especially second hand) and portable.
Quote by sacamano79
MIM strat, although it having only 21 frets pisses me off, its has a GREAT feel and tone.

Ok cool I'll def look into those thanks for the help
Quote by zombiak
MIM Strat is a good option, but you could just roam the second hand shops with guitars and find a nice Fender / Fender Squier made in Japan. I'm a big fan of Japanese instruments and recommend them to everyone - they are cheap and as good as Highway One stratocasters (if not better).

If you want to get this aggressive, slightly dirty clean sound of Frusciante, it's more a matter of amp than the guitar. Your Randall is SS amp, I think, so it isn't really that good for RHCP tone; you want a tube amp, set on the edge of the break-up. For 700 bucks you could easily buy a cheap tube AND a guitar, you simply have to find the right ones.

Yeah I thought it would probably be partly the fault of the amp, and I'd really love to get a good amp because they're also dirt cheap in comparism to here but as you mentioned carrying it back would be a problem since the weight limit is 23 kilos plus I'd have to carry it through the airports... but thanks for the help.