Poll: what would overall be best?
Poll Options
View poll results: what would overall be best?
gibson les paul studio (white, gold hardware)
14 48%
schecter synister custom
8 28%
other
7 24%
Voters: 29.
Page 1 of 2
hey, im choosing between 2 guitars as my next one. here are my things bout the 2 guitars

syn:
pros:floyd rose, 24 frets, good for recording
cons:too demonic, looks bad live (dosent apeal to many people in the world), invader pups

gibson:
pros:looks cleaner, handles more tones, good for gigin, great with many amps
cons: no whammy, 22 frets (i need the other 2 for my tappin range), pricyer

please. i really need sum help with this one, one of the 2 are gonna b my next guitar and i dont really care bout u guys throwin out other guitars that YOU prefer cuz ive already narrowed my choices down ta 2 guitars cuz theses are the real only 2 i have been hoverin around by at guitar center. BTW, im more of a metal riff guy with strong a strong lead/solo style and like to add in bluesy stuff in a lot. i dont care too much about the clean sound cuz i can never really find one and i like tones that have more bite. fyi, just saying.

oh and i need help pullin up the voting system on the top of the page, sum one pm me or just say in a reply cuz i look thru this thread quite often
Last edited by xFinnellx at Jul 21, 2008,
I would go for the Gibson. I don't really like Schecters, I've played them already and... ah, just don't.
two very different guitars - tone-wise, les paul... playing-wise, syn.

it's really your own personal preference, and no matter what guitar you play, whatever feels right is right.
Quote by bokma
My first time hasn't come yet.. but when I does, I'm gonna die of stage fright

y does every1 hate invaders?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
^indeed

syn's tone isn't muddy just use enough treble
also syn's tone rawks
the floyd on his sig can go crazy high
Gibson

Seriously, EW at the schecter. Its actually disgusting.

I think you should look at the Epiphone Les Paul Elitist, probs better AND cheaper than the studio.
this is like comparing what compact coupe to get or a dually

get the gibson because your not a real guitarist unless you have one.
I personally prefer the C-1 line by Schecter to both. I also prefer the Vengeance custom to Syn's. But in that case you could just buy the S-1 and get whatever pickup set you want.
Quote by Vampire 255
y does every1 hate invaders?

well i have sum on my schecter omen6 and they sound fine distortion wise but i dont realy apreaciate the low amount of tone i get from them, the blanket of distortion hides a good amount of natural sound
Quote by MOMOJUP
^indeed

syn's tone isn't muddy just use enough treble
also syn's tone rawks
the floyd on his sig can go crazy high

yea dude, i know
Quote by Horlicks
Is neither an option?

well, if u REALLY need ta upgrade from ur first guitar and wana look more into the vast planet of music
Quote by xFinnellx
well, if u REALLY need ta upgrade from ur first guitar and wana look more into the vast planet of music

I'm saying, you should look at other brands and guitars. From what I've heard both guitars are overpriced and you'd probably get better value from others. Just tell us what you have to spend and what you play.
my kind of style of playing is a hard rock- heavy metal range. im now occasionally playing blues to further my boundaries and influence my different style. i love whammy bars, tapping, bending and strong rhythms. a lot of inspiration comes from avenged sevenfold them selves (im not wanting the synister to be a fanboy). my range is around the 1000 and under because i know of a local shop that is willin to demolish guitarcenters prices for theire equipment and the shops popularity. so price realy isnt too big of a factor here.
i really liked how the esp redid the clasic les paul single cutaway with the ash'ish trim. idk, still no wammy on that one. sry for sounding picky. but im kinda over the long horn dubble cutaways like the c-1s and stuff even tho thats what a normal gitar really is. well, ill ask sum guys at guitar center or at the shop im checkin at about the esp's. they looked the best. im not feelin too cozy with ibanez tho. dragonforce and freinds made a bad impression on them
god help you go see a live band that sounds like total ass and just so happens they use the next brand you purchase! that means your gonna have to sell your guitar
not necesarily. depends on ur veiw and philosophy i guess. i dont know if i wuld mind watching sumone using the next brand and sucking. there are people out there that are just there to keep the balance of things there. u know what i mean? well, i just wana have an upgraded instument that i can find compatible for me. the esp on the first link of horlicks links is kick ass im already considerin that over the gibson so far. i believe now that im open for people to give me ideas and theyre prefs.
syn = Gay and un versatile
LP= Awesome and versatile
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
I just thought bout this but IMO: People who choose SIG guitars should already have a few other ones in their stock. If my band did a A7X cover and I just pulled out the syn custom just for that, I think that be awesome. I would defiantly go back to a regular guitar after that cover tho.
you really can't go wrong with either guitar.

Just try playing both every way possible. (ie stanging up, sitting down, exploring every possible angle of it)
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by SG310user
syn = Gay and un versatile
LP= Awesome and versatile

lp= veryyy bad QC
schecter= veryyyy GOOD Qc

But anyway just get a schecter c-1 hellraiser fr and you're done
well its not like the gibson or the schecter are really bad guitars or the best ones on the market but i dont wana buy a les paul look alike from a foreign manufactuer. like that esp les paul bodied beast looked insane but i dont wana look like sum guy with a make shift/slightly modded les paul that isnt of gibson. IMO, epiphones are nothing but furnace wood and crap. never in my life am i gettin a epiphone. even theyre custom models or whatever, the necks suck, feel like crap and are just a bad day all together
Get a Schecter C-1 Classic!
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Quote by xFinnellx
well its not like the gibson or the schecter are really bad guitars or the best ones on the market but i dont wana buy a les paul look alike from a foreign manufactuer. like that esp les paul bodied beast looked insane but i dont wana look like sum guy with a make shift/slightly modded les paul that isnt of gibson. IMO, epiphones are nothing but furnace wood and crap. never in my life am i gettin a epiphone. even theyre custom models or whatever, the necks suck, feel like crap and are just a bad day all together

Clearly you've never played my Epi Les Paul.

Also, Epiphone Elitist > Gibson Les Paul Studio.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by xFinnellx
like that esp les paul bodied beast looked insane but i dont wana look like sum guy with a make shift/slightly modded les paul that isnt of gibson.

Who cares what you look like? If the guitar is amazing, you're gonna pick something else that fits a trademark? I say go with what feels and plays the best to you.
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Raijouta
Clearly you've never played my Epi Les Paul.

Also, Epiphone Elitist > Gibson Les Paul Studio.

well, i just have a horrible impresion on them. my freinds dad had one of the nicer 700$ version and it was OK. it was still outrageosly heavy and the neck felt like sludge or tar because the paint was still grippy. im not sure i have tried the elitist but im making a list of guitars i havent tried at gc yet.
Quote by xFinnellx
well, i just have a horrible impresion on them. my freinds dad had one of the nicer 700$ version and it was OK. it was still outrageosly heavy and the neck felt like sludge or tar because the paint was still grippy. im not sure i have tried the elitist but im making a list of guitars i havent tried at gc yet.

Then you probably don't like Les Pauls at all...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I don't really like his sig...I'm surprised Schecter's allowed to make the headstock look exactly like BC Rich. I love my Studio...but you should definitely play em before you get it, cause ya never really know with Studios
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

How in the hell is your choice between two distinctly different guitars like this?
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Epiphone Elitist.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by Link.JohnIrving
How in the hell is your choice between two distinctly different guitars like this?

cuz i apreciate all styles of rock and guitars. its just preference really. i dont really wana b seen with the scecter too much but i would have a lotta fun doin a bit more things than i would with the gibson where i would love to bring it to my shatty guitar class im takin next year for an easy A but i would lose a lot of songs that i would need that 24'th fret and it would be hard for me to work on tapps cuz i usually do a lotta arpeggios back and fourth and along the neck whilst tapping.
If the 24th fret thing became a problem, a thimble should work, shouldn't it?
I mean, I don't know what sort of runs you play but it's generally an easy solution.

In the end though, it really comes down to which feels best in your hand. Personally, I find the LP neck to be hard to play quickly on. That may just be because the one that I've played most has a horribly grabby neck when playing thumb-under, and buggers with my hand when I play thumb-over.
oops, sry for making that last post sound like if i were retarded and didnt know how ta speak
ne ways. all im looking for is a guitar that has pretty hot pickups, light body, neat colors and design, not INSANELY expensive(1500+, oh, and i can get whatever guitar for cheaper cuz i know of a place where i could get insane discounts), good for tapping, learning new stuff, gettin creative(ie a whammy bar) good sustain, sounds nice when tweakeed and all sorts of goodies sumone who has played damn hard for 3 years.
Quote by Sir Anonymous
If the 24th fret thing became a problem, a thimble should work, shouldn't it?
I mean, I don't know what sort of runs you play but it's generally an easy solution.

In the end though, it really comes down to which feels best in your hand. Personally, I find the LP neck to be hard to play quickly on. That may just be because the one that I've played most has a horribly grabby neck when playing thumb-under, and buggers with my hand when I play thumb-over.

yea thats what happens with me. when i was at guitar center it was fine on the gibsons but with all the epifones that i have played they all sucked, the low grade 250$ unclassified(i think), the epi custom, the epi studio. i havent tried the 1337'157 (eliteist if u spell out the #'s. sry, im bored) . its just a big deal to me. i wana pay a good chunk of money for sumthing ill use that i love to do but i dont wana be willing to pay that much for a POS guitar like an epi. im not a big strat guy either so dont bother.
Quote by xFinnellx
ne ways. all im looking for is a guitar that has pretty hot pickups, light body, neat colors and design, not INSANELY expensive(1500+, oh, and i can get whatever guitar for cheaper cuz i know of a place where i could get insane discounts), good for tapping, learning new stuff, gettin creative(ie a whammy bar) good sustain, sounds nice when tweakeed and all sorts of goodies sumone who has played damn hard for 3 years.

Then get one of these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Prestige-Series-RG2550Z-Electric-Guitar?sku=515738
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-SL3-Soloist-Electric-Guitar?sku=512237

The LP Studio is too expensive to be good value but not classy enough to really give oyu that Les Paul Vibe, the Syn is kind of ugly, the pickups are kind of nasty and it'a also overpriced because it has somebody's name on it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
that jackson looks nyce. but im seriusly tired of that look tho, it mite look nicer in person but whateves, ill try it out. i have a list, there shuld be a different style of body, thats all. i really love the body shape of the schecter, the pain looks cool too cuz its different but once in the neck and headstock its too demonic. if they make a white and gold one then that wuld be godly. and seriusly guys, invaders aren POS as they turn out to be, get a friggen cheap distortion pedal and screw around with it, thats one of the easyest ways to get a great tone without gettin a new amp. my philosophy is of good sound is this generic rule...

tube head > speakers > pedal > pickups > guitar > electronics > patch cord > hardware

which pretty much sums up that u can get whaveever sound you want out of the pickups with the 3 better things you can buy. the only thing the pickups do is deliver hotness or added thickness which you can already change 90 percent of the amount with the pedals and the head. and an equalizer is little higher than the speakers, i already kinda falls with the tube head.
Go for the Gibson you seem to have more pros for it than the Syn
My gear:
-No Brand Classical Guitar
-Squier Stratocaster Affinity Series
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Boss GT-8
-Boss DS-1
-Roland Cube 60

FREE TACOS!!!
Last edited by juan9122 at Jul 22, 2008,
Page 1 of 2