Thanks for opening it! (this is my first post)

this is gonna sound like just another "help me start a band" thing.....because it is.... but seriously, its my dream to be in a good band band.

Ok first of all, ive already been in about 4 bands that were formed by people who only showed up to 1, mabye 2 sessions. I finnally started my own tho and made sure the people were serious about it, but of course, theres other problems...
(fyi, this is a high school band)

problem #1 Vocals: The singer i chose wants to sing, and he's pretty passionate about it, but nobody likes him and he doesnt have any confidence in front of an audience, even just like, 3-4 people. (probobly because they pick on him so much).
He says he might quit because he doesnt think he can do it.

My Bassist suggests his girlfriend to sing instead because she sings very well but i dont really want to resort to a female singer (not being sexist, i just think we need a male voice) if thats my only option, i'd gladly take her.

the only other option is for me to sing (rofl) the drummer suggested it because im alwasy singin at practice when our original singer doesnt show up (which is becoming frequent). But i dont think i sound good enough, + I'm already doing guitar.

So throw me some opinions,
is there some way i can get my old singer some courage? and yes, i already suggested we go see the wizard of oz (lol).
should i just go with the girl and try to adjust our style a bit?
or should i go get singing lessons?

i have some other problems ill post after this one gets resolved (or mabye they'll fix themselves by then)
THANK YOU SO MUCH for readinng!, thank you EVEN MORE if you post! thank you WAAAAY MORE if your post actually helps!!!!
Take my advice. A girl singing in a rock band is the coolest thing ever. It's different.

Take the best singer there is, there are too many bands with rubbish singers. Luckily my band have found the next Rob Halford
if you're original singer doesnt have the self confidence and if you really dont want to have a female vocalist then as you've said you're only option is to do vocals and guitar yourself and try the band like that, even if its just for a couple of practice sessions just to see what its like. if it doesnt work out then at least you can say you tried, and maybe if it doesnt work too well your singer will gain some self confidence at the idea of being needed by the band.
Quote by Eddie's'Waitor
Take my advice. A girl singing in a rock band is the coolest thing ever. It's different.

That's true, but there's a catch. It's the girlfriend of the bassist - I don't know how stable is their relationship, but most possibly if they broke up, you'd lose either bass player or a singer because they would not want to be in the same room, not to mention playing in one band.
Quote by Eddie's'Waitor

+1
I use to sing, then I stole my friends X girlfriend to sing, haven't regretted it yet
ok for starters say no to the chick. not because she is a girl, but because she is the bassists girl. it may seem harmless now but if they violently break up, or have a big fight etc, its gonna cause you problems.

and there is nothing wrong with you singing. hell, i joined my band intending to play guitar.. turns out i play guitar well, and sing even better lol. so if the chance is there i recommend it, even if you cant sing, you may as well give it a whirl. if you suck, who cares? you wanna play guitar, right? so no biggy.. only thing is that you are back to square one if it turns out you cant.

but.. if you really dont want to sing, i suggest going to your schools choir and finding someone to sing for you. im sure they would let you have one sit in if you asked. or just say you were thinking of joining, but wanted to check out the stuff they do.

although... can the guy you have actually sing, or does he just want to sing? if he can, get him to sing for just you band, and slowly work ur way up. or perhaps even just to you to begin with.

anyway, hope this helps.. and remember, say no to the chick! you'll be doing yourself a favour!
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by TheChad899
the only other option is for me to sing (rofl) the drummer suggested it because im alwasy singin at practice when our original singer doesnt show up (which is becoming frequent). But i dont think i sound good enough, + I'm already doing guitar.

Isn't that almost exactly how James Hetfield ended up singing for Metallica?

Just sayin'.
Take the female vocalist

Seriously, if you don't think you can do it and the other guy is about to keave it ius the best situation. Don't let people bully you out of having a female voclaist because it dosen't automatically spell the end of the band as long as you know what you are in the band for, which i assume is making music, having fun and possibly playing lots of gigs
id try the girl,but keep in mind that its not gonna last long.Why dont you just try?Hendrix coodn't sing,ozzy coodn't,and neither cood david lee roth.As long asa you can command with your playing and you have some basic sense of rhythm,then you can sing.
meh
Quote by get ta led out!
id try the girl,but keep in mind that its not gonna last long.Why dont you just try?Hendrix coodn't sing,ozzy coodn't,and neither cood david lee roth.As long asa you can command with your playing and you have some basic sense of rhythm,then you can sing.

Keep your singer in the mix, he can do it. Trust me once you get over the hardest challenge of being a singer, (Confidence) your skill with increase by tenfold.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
Is your singer already taking lessons? If not, he should start, because he really doesn't sound like he thinks he's too good. He should start thinking of his voice more like another instrument, I think that's the trick to confidence for singers.
ok wow, thanks a whole lot for the advice guys!
I talked it over with the others just now and we all agree on the girl. I told the original singer to stay in touch tho (is that a good idea, or should i just completly cut him off?)
If the girl cant do it I'm gonna try looking for more candidates from the choir.

I dont think the relationship is going to be a problem, i talked about it to the bass and singer and they dont think they'll be breaking up any time soon (but relationships ARE unpredictable) and they agree that if they broke up they wouldnt let that get in the way of the band. (and i know thats still very unpredictable.)

I'll see how things turn out in a few days/weeks, then ill be back with any other problems that arise when they arise, and they WILL arise.....

once again, THANKS SO MUCH!!!!
What happends if the worse comes to worse, and your bassist and his girlfriend, take it she will be the singer by then have a fight, and it causes tension in the band, or what if they break up? I wouldn't go for a chick singer, try it for a bit until you can find someone who has a male voice.
Wowow. You, Richie there with the sister. She sings really good O.O Just wanted to say. Holy ****. A very raw voice, without sounding like nub Angela from Arch Enemy.

Raw, not screaming. It's nice. very nice.

Oh, and try and make you singer play a few gigs with you or something, tell him to face his fears, or whatever you say. Just make him sing with you. After a few gigs, he will be confident ^^ It just becomes a habit. You put abit of acting and facade up as you play, then people cannot get through to you ^^