you see im trying to get of the pentatonic box just as everybody else and so I started to learn scales.

I've learned and memorized some of the major modes...but most of the time it ends up sounding like latin (especially in the lydian scale)

anybody have tips on making these sound good in rock/metal solos?

EDIT: Or maybe i should've learned the minor modes?
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by King_Arthur
you see im trying to get of the pentatonic box just as everybody else and so I started to learn scales.

I've learned and memorized some of the major modes...but most of the time it ends up sounding like latin (especially in the lydian scale)

You didn't need to learn anything else to be honest - the problem isn't the scale itself, just the way you've been using it.

The minor pentatonic is as useful and versatile a scale as any other, arguable it's more versatile than many of them due to being comprised of the more consonant notes of the scale. Forget modes for the time being, they aren't going to help you here and you're not in a position to learn them properly yet.

Instead, concentrate on the major scale but don't focus on patterns. Instead, focus on the notes and intervals the scale is comprised of and familiarise yourself with the sounds they make and how they interact with each other.

You can still use the minor pentatonic, but again forget the pattern. Instead learn the intervals it contains and pay attention to the notes you're playing and the sound you're making.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by King_Arthur

What are you playing these over?
How are you phrasing these ideas?
A few questions:

1. Did you memorize the scales' constructions or just how to play them on guitar?
2. Have you practiced different phrasing?
3. What did you have to "break out of" with the minor pentatonic scale?