Okay people, I can't decide which amp I should be saving up for. I want it to be less than £500 in cost. The most important thing is that it has a good metal sound (I'll be playing tuned-down guitars through it).

Would it be a good idea to fork out loads for the head, then buy a cheap-ass cab?

I really don't know my amps, so don't start telling me I'm ****ing stupid and I don't know anything. I'm quite aware of it already.
Cabs are much apart of your sound as the head. I would rather have a mediocre head, and a mediocre cab, than an awesome head, and say, an MG cab.

Most people would suggest a used 5150 or 6505 combo, if not a head. If you want great cleans then go with a different amp.

Do you have anything in mind? Are you gigging or are you in a band? Can you transport a halfstack if you got one?
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
I have this same question. I played a really nice Peavey JSX head on some Peavey Cab I believe, and got an amazing tone out of it, but it was a bit pricey.
Member #16 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join
Quote by C&C Magik
I have this same question. I played a really nice Peavey JSX head on some Peavey Cab I believe, and got an amazing tone out of it, but it was a bit pricey.

Did you haggle?
When trying out an amp, you should ALWAYS at least try to get the price down. I have saved ALOT by getting the best price i possible can with all of my gear.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
^ +1

Managed to knock £200 off the price of my Mesa/Boogie by claiming that I didn't have the full amount on me.
Quote by b00m_
Cabs are much apart of your sound as the head. I would rather have a mediocre head, and a mediocre cab, than an awesome head, and say, an MG cab.

Most people would suggest a used 5150 or 6505 combo, if not a head. If you want great cleans then go with a different amp.

Do you have anything in mind? Are you gigging or are you in a band? Can you transport a halfstack if you got one?

I have nothing specific in mind. I've recently started a metal band and I will be gigging. Transport won't be a problem. I just want something with a good metal sound for less than £500. I'm not too bothered about clean sounds.
if your not bothered by cleans then definatly a peavey 5150/6505 combo like everyone else is going to say, its a great metal amp and theres lots of them used, they can get quite br00tal. also, the peavey xxx combos(i have one) are nice for metal, if you want a little more versitility than the 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.