Well, I got an Ibanez with tremolo bridge.... The problem is, whenever I tune to Drop C, The bridge action went down and I have to raise the bridge action which cause the tuning to change again & so on.......

How do I tune my guitar to Drop C????????
And what string gauge should I use?

Thanks!
Don't tune to drop c?
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by SG310user
Don't tune to drop c?

+1 or if you weren't tight you could get it set up.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Lowest i tune to is Drop d

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

You're not supposed to change tunings with a floating bridge (I assume you have one). And are you sure it's the action? The action isn't supposed to change (just a tiny bit) when using another tuning or gauge of strings. Do you mean the back of the bridge isn't level with the body? In that case you'd have to loosen 2 screws in the back of your guitar. If you like to change between tunings you will have to block the tremolo (so you can only do divebombs and stuff, not the herman-li stuff).

Sorry if I got your question totally wrong.
Quote by SG310user
Lowest i tune to is Drop d

+1, if you can't be heavy in Drop D then you're doing something wrong
I only tune to drop D and B standard (seven string stuff on a six string)
ohai little sig.
Quote by n00bje
You're not supposed to change tunings with a floating bridge (I assume you have one). And are you sure it's the action? The action isn't supposed to change (just a tiny bit) when using another tuning or gauge of strings. Do you mean the back of the bridge isn't level with the body? In that case you'd have to loosen 2 screws in the back of your guitar. If you like to change between tunings you will have to block the tremolo (so you can only do divebombs and stuff, not the herman-li stuff).

Sorry if I got your question totally wrong.

What's happening is that his bridge is compensating for the loss of tension in the strings by going down into the trem cavity.

TS, if you wanted to be able to change tunings, you shouldn't have bought something with a floyd.
well, you might need higher gage strings for more tension so you can stop that falling in the trem cavity business.

Quote by SG310user
well, you might need higher gage strings for more tension so you can stop that falling in the trem cavity business.

No, he just needs to adjust the springs in the back of the trem cavity.
Ah......

Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
What's happening is that his bridge is compensating for the loss of tension in the strings by going down into the trem cavity.

TS, if you wanted to be able to change tunings, you shouldn't have bought something with a floyd.

dude i agree...i hasve a esp ltd KH202 with a floyde, and it takes forever to tune it! u gotta use some weird wrench lol..but the kahlers, i dont like, they feel to soft.
first of all you need to buy heavier guage strings (12-56 should work) the tension in dropc c should be more or less the same as if you were in standard with 9's or 10's so only a slight adjustment of the screws in the back should be needed.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Theres plenty of guitarists out there that tune to drop C with a tremolo. Alexi Laiho anyone? Given that u have ur bridge setup correctly and u use a heavier string gauge to compensate for the lack of tension then u shouldnt have ANY problems.
Quote by mrbungle50221
first of all you need to buy heavier guage strings (12-56 should work) the tension in dropc c should be more or less the same as if you were in standard with 9's or 10's so only a slight adjustment of the screws in the back should be needed.

I like Mr. Bungle too.

Platypus?

Quote by Bleedthetruth
Theres plenty of guitarists out there that tune to drop C with a tremolo. Alexi Laiho anyone? Given that u have ur bridge setup correctly and u use a heavier string gauge to compensate for the lack of tension then u shouldnt have ANY problems.

Yes there are, but they have a guitar specifically set up for that tuning. There's no way, however, to go between drop C and standard on a Floyd, it's too much difference. Even if you change the springs to level the bridge there's no gauge that can handle both tunings on a Floyd. 12's will be way too tense in standard tuning, whilst 9's or 10's will be way too loose and that in turn means the trem springs would need to be loose and that means no tuning stability.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by SG310user
I like Mr. Bungle too.

Platypus?

my ass is on fire

you also get +99999999999999999 cool point for liking Mr Bungle
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by mrbungle50221
my ass is on fire

you also get +99999999999999999 cool point for liking Mr Bungle

WHOOOOOO My sister is like in love with Mike patton.

Quote by SG310user
WHOOOOOO My sister is like in love with Mike patton.

he is indeed cool and very sexy.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Quote by mrbungle50221
he is indeed cool and very sexy.

Me being a guy wouldn't think that. Unless.........................

Though i have to admit, i don;t listen to Mr. Bungle alot, i still like it. It's that kind of strange that makes other people make weird faces. I like it. It strangely goes with all the sub genre's of metal that i listen to. It's weird when you look at my CD rack.

My sister likes Sigur ross (mike)

Sorry whoever it is that started this thread, it now is raped.

Quote by SG310user
Me being a guy wouldn't think that. Unless.........................

Though i have to admit, i don;t listen to Mr. Bungle alot, i still like it. It's that kind of strange that makes other people make weird faces. I like it. It strangely goes with all the sub genre's of metal that i listen to. It's weird when you look at my CD rack.

My sister likes Sigur ross (mike)

Sorry whoever it is that started this thread, it now is raped.

ye this thread is now thel Mr Bungle appreciation thread, and i know what you mean, i listen to some crazy arse music too
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Quote by mrbungle50221
ye this thread is now thel Mr Bungle appreciation thread, and i know what you mean, i listen to some crazy arse music too

Arse instead of ass?

Are you Australian or Pommie?

I'm Aus.

Quote by SG310user
Arse instead of ass?

Are you Australian or Pommie?

I'm Aus.

if Pommie means English then im a Pommie...........
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Lol. Yes. Pommie, English, British, Australian, American. We all came to from the same place. 'Cept those darn Asians (I''m Stupidly being racist again, Sorry to Asians)

Quote by SG310user
Lol. Yes. Pommie, English, British, Australian, American. We all came to from the same place. 'Cept those darn Asians (I''m Stupidly being racist again, Sorry to Asians)

lol ye americans tend to hate on us, they dont seem to realise that they are basically english people but who live in the USA and cant talk properly (Aus accent is cool tho)
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I had this problem for ever with my RR3 i would bring it to drop D and back up to standard with no bridge adjustment and then wondered why the sound was awful and intonation was off. but its pretty simple, if the trems sinking into the body it means the springs in the back are to tight and are over powering the now looser strings, all you do is loosen the spings enough that the trem sits level with the body. your not going to get it in one shot it takes multiple adjustments to get it both in tune and in the correct possition. try searchin on youtube i found alot of good info and techniques for this kind of stuff. goodluck.
ermmm.....
well, I'm using an Ibanez JEM. Didn't expect floating bridge to be that much of a pain in the ass though If Floyd rose really works for Drop C tuning is it possible to change my Bridge?
........ Okay, My bad! I didn't read the Floyd Rose part correctly........
The thing is, if I ask somebody to set it for me, what am I suppose to do if I wanna tune it back to Standard tunig??? LOL! I think I better save some bucks for a guitar with FIXED BRIDGE, HAHAHA.....
As several people mentioned, you need to learn how to adjust the tremolo springs by yourself if you're going to make a tuning change by yourself. I have done it several times with my KH-2, and it does take some trial and error. Expect to spend an hour or more the first time you do it yourself. One key point is that you need to tune the strings after every small adjustment to the springs. Another thing you might want to consider is adding a 4th spring in the cavity. With an extra spring, less adjustment of the spring anchor screws is required when you make a tuning change.
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall 8100 "Valvestate" Head
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Please check out my guitar cover videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/killrbuckeye
Quote by Jason_X00
........ Okay, My bad! I didn't read the Floyd Rose part correctly........
The thing is, if I ask somebody to set it for me, what am I suppose to do if I wanna tune it back to Standard tunig??? LOL! I think I better save some bucks for a guitar with FIXED BRIDGE, HAHAHA.....

To play in drop C you're going to have to use heavier strings, probably 12's, and you'll have to do some adjustments of the trem springs to get the bridge level. If you then want to go back to standard tuning you're going to have to change to a set of 9's or possibly 10's and again you'll have to adjust the trem screws.

If you want to muck around with different tunings then you really want something with a fixed bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by \m/slipknot\m/
string guage doesnt matter my shecters in drop B with 10s and its fine, i set the floyd up my self with no problems or string breakage. if you do it right basically any gauge should work just fine.

It does if you want tuning stability, useable string tension and a bridge that works properly
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

If you want to drop that far play a bass, I hate today's metal bands disgracing the guitar with drop ****ing Z tuning lmao.

(that was a joke).
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by steven seagull
To play in drop C you're going to have to use heavier strings, probably 12's, and you'll have to do some adjustments of the trem springs to get the bridge level. If you then want to go back to standard tuning you're going to have to change to a set of 9's or possibly 10's and again you'll have to adjust the trem screws.

If you want to muck around with different tunings then you really want something with a fixed bridge.

ermmm..... how bout adjusting the truss rod then??? LoL! Is it needed?
Get another guitar. no easy way to go between drop c and standard e tuning with a floyd.
i do drop C in a band i play in, and i have set with guitars tuned down there, while i keep a few in standard tuning as well.
it's a lot easier with a fixed bridge, but still some work + you might want to use different strings for different tension in those tunings.