Hello, I've been browsing the forums for some time now, I haven't really stepped in to answer questions or ask, basically getting a feel for the community and typical do's and don'ts.

I'll consider this my 'informal' introduction haha... I've played bass for about 5 years now and I bought a guitar this last December and have been playing almost every day since, my question is not about the gauge of strings, I know that is pure preference but my question is about the appearance of the G B E strings, the strings that are not wound.

I restrung my guitar about a week ago, brand new, shiny, Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings, no problems. In about two days the high strings lost their metallic luster and smooth feel, although they still retain their harmonics, tone and sustain. I understand that oils, grease and the general "gunk" build up on strings but I'm used to having all my strings wound (as on my bass) and I never really ran into this problem, hell, I don't even know if it is a problem, at all... lol (note: I do have sweaty hands)

I always take care of my equipment but I don't want to have to wipe down my strings after every time I play because when it comes to making music and the want to do so, I do it randomly throughout the day. I picked up an instrument as a stress reliever in the first place and my general love/respect for music in all of it's forms, so I think having to wipe them down all the time just makes playing a job instead of a fun hobby or creative outlet. I explained that in so many words because it's how I really feel, I want to convey that because I want you to know that I'm not lazy and also so you guys get to know me a little bit better seeing as I plan on being involved with you guys from here on out.

So my questions to you are these:
1. Is this a problem?
2. If it is a problem, is it common or is it more of a unique thing that differs from player to player?
3. Are there strings out there that may cure this happening to me?
4. If there are no strings that are resistant to this corrosion (which I assume it to be) is there a way of preparing the strings so that they will last a bit longer?

Thank you for reading my long-winded statements and many questions.
I wouldn't really worry about it, my G string is actually black i'm ashamed to say... i really need to re string! As long as they still sound alright, and you can play them fine, doesn't matter

You can buy cleaning oils like FastFret, that clean the strings, they seem to work alright, not too expensive either.
1) No
2) It can differ from player to player
3) Elixirs or DR coated strings don't rust and lst ages, however they cost a fair bit.
4) Don't worry about it, just change them when they feel unusable to you.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
don't worry, it happens all the time, it is not harmful, my string turn black after only about 1 hour of playing. my hands are really sweaty