hey guys, i just got thicker strings today, im not sure what width they are or whatever, it says DT on it though (D tuning)

i play mostly in drop C and drop Db and with these new strings it sounds completely different. it doesnt have that aggressive sound to it and they sound really bassy no matter what pickups i use how less contour whatever.

the strings are dean markley signature series and it has a sticker on it saying dt 13-56

any suggestions on how to fix this? will they sound better over time? i got a new cord today also and i thought maybe thats why but then i remembered i played with it with my standard strings earlier and it sounded the same. i asked the man at my local music center if thicker strings sound different and he said they sound the same. however they sound much worse.

::UPDATE::
after posting this thread i went to put my guitar away and i noticed the bridge was pointing towards the neck and nearly coming out of the guitar. i then completely loosened the strings and it went back down. the next day i took it back to the store and a dude there said that he would add another spring onto the inside of the guitar so the bridge had more flexibility. He said thats what he did to his and it works fine.

::IMPORTANT:: after he has added the spring, if i decide to go to 11's or 12's, will i still be able to use them or will i have to get my bridge adjusted again?

once again any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

ty.
Last edited by SOADriff at Jul 15, 2008,
Thicker strings DO NOT sound the same as thinner strings. They sound much warmer. Keep in mind you could have just gotten a crappy pack.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
I'm not assuming you are dumb or anything but I just want to make some observations.

The thicker the string, the heavier it will inherently be, a lighter string vibrates (or oscillates) much more rapidly than a heavier one will, this is where the aggressiveness you speak of comes from. Thicker strings make for a duller sound, not always a bad thing because there is a complete list of things you can do with that sound that you can't with the edgy sound you are looking for.

You say you are even getting the same results with the old standard strings, is it possible you have overlooked your 3-way switch? If you are using the neck pickup you will always get a heavy, bass-like sound, try switching to your bridge pickup.
Quote by SOADriff
...i play mostly in drop C and drop Db...13-56...
IMHO, those strings are too thick for those tunings. I'd say a set of 12-54s would more than suffice and the sound would be a bit brighter.

What kind of guitar, what pickups BTW?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
its a cheap little GRG170DX.

all of the pickups are powersound and they are stock.

posted this message directly after i played them for the first time, then watched tv for half an hour and went to bed. as i put my guitar away i noticed my bridge was halfway out of the guitar pointing in the directon of the neck. i then completely losened the strings and it went back down. im guessing i need something adjusted or thinner strings?
Quote by |2yan
You say you are even getting the same results with the old standard strings

with my standard strings i got a great sound, perfect for the metal im playing.

when i switched over they sounded way too bassy no matter what switch position or how much treble etc.
Quote by |2yan
I'm not assuming you are dumb or anything but I just want to make some observations.

The thicker the string, the heavier it will inherently be, a lighter string vibrates (or oscillates) much more rapidly than a heavier one will, this is where the aggressiveness you speak of comes from. .

regardless of string size, two strings tuned to the same pitch will vibrate at the exact same speed. larger strings, due to an increase in mass, will have more sustain. inertia, (lamens def. =an objects resistance to a change in motion) causes the string to be harder to stop from vibrating.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I would have to say that thicker strings did feel slightly different when I hade two guitars, one was for standard with 46 on them and the other for drop B and it had 52 on it. I tuned the heavier gauge guitar up to standard C and drop C and you could really tell that it didn't seem to have that bite anymore. I personally like my strings a little loose so I tend to get thinner strings, but not too thin as two get completely muddy, but I do like the looseness of thinnner ones for lower tunings. I would recomend the 52 as they seemed alright as 56 is just way to thick, IMHO, I wouldn't even use those for drop B or A, but that's just me.
May not need to go so thick as .13. Im using .11s at D standard. And .11s with wound third to C# standard. The stores near me dont even carry .12s much less .13s.
.13 is way to thick for that type of tunning. i use .13 for drop b and a. get some .12 or .11. .11 will sound less bassy then .12.
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
i want to buy a hello kitty guitar than play it at a gig...
itll be like guitar solo than i pull out the kitty-caster and BAMMM
i went back to the store and they said that they would add another spring to the bridge and change the neck a little bit. the guy there said that he uses 13's from C sharp tuning, and they work fine.

THIS IS IMPORTANT! now that he has added the new spring will i be able to go back to 12s or 11s? or will i have to take the spring out. PLEASE ANSWER THIS!
thicker strings = more mass = more signal

if your tone is muddy and stuff now, then its because your guitar is a bit louder than what it was when it had lighter strings on.

rolling back the volume knob on your guitar may alleviate your problem a bit.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.