Ok so me and a few friends from uni are going to start a band next year. We've got a singer, drummer, bassist and, that's right, 3 guitarists.

Ok, not such a big problem, but we've all got different styles, I play blues/classic rock sort of stuff, one plays acoustic fingerpicking stuff and the other one is kinda ecclectic in his tastes, but is mostly alternative.

I'm hoping this mix will create a really interesting and unique sound, by having the third guitarist, Alex, as rythmn and alternating lead parts and, for want of a better term "backup" guitar parts between me and the acoustic fingerpicker, Luke. By backup I mean maybe accentuating chords, little arps and things like that, just to make it a fuller sound, but staying very much in the background.

OR, it could just as likely be a horrible clash of styles.

So, what do you think? Will it work? And is the division idea fair? Alex says he doesnt mind not having lead parts, and wants to play to his stregnths. I don't know lukes take on it and I'm obviously happy with it.

In short, help me UG.
Zeppelinism Extremist, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

...and the victim screameth, saying "Hast thou not heard of elastoplast?!"
I think it would work. Go for it.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
The only way to know is to try it. Hell, Iron Maiden has three guitar players, and not only are they sweet, it sounds like the three guitarists in your band have more differences than they do. It sounds like you have the right idea, having the guitar players play accentuating parts instead of getting in a big mess. The fact that you are worried about the clutter of three guitar players makes me think (or hope) that you'll be willing to change parts and arrangements for three guitar players.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson SG w/ Bigsby
Ibanez Roadster Bass
Sovtek MiG 60
Marshall 1965B
Maestro Echoplex EP-3
MXR Ten Band EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Ross Phaser
Boss DD-6
it will work, with so many diferent styles you can create diversified and realy good music
it can work but is extremely difficult. the more instruments that are in a band the more rehearsal there has to be. you need to all be proficient in order to sound 'tight.' skynyrd obviously had great abilities to intertwine guitar parts. just keep in mind someone should always be playing something else because it will be really boring if all three guitars are playing the same part. i would try to aim for and listen to how the stones weaved in guitars (although there are only two) they are considered the best at "weaving"
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
No reason it can't work as long as you guys try hard. But keep in mind, playing live is going to be a chore unless you perfect your sound mix now.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Yeah, it could work, but as has been said, it's very hard to coordinate, as long as you're all willing to fit into the background or even play nothing in parts. Radiohead have three guitarists (although they don't always all play guitar), and they made it work, one as rhythm, one as lead, and one creating sound scapes, or accentuating