Just biased my dsl100.

It was around 6 millivolts out each side so i set it u to 80.5 each side perfectly, I'll see how it goes tomorrow as i can't play right now because its 11.30pm.

It was pretty easy and i love learning new things. I can now change my tubes without a tech, but i will look into it with a bit more depth.

I've save a shtload of money for tubechanges. I might even get a few different brands and compare them, who knows.

I'm proud of myself
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Hey, way 2 go!!! It is SIMPLE to BIAS the DSL's, because of the 3 leads with just a multimeter! I did my DSL50 and it was a snap! It's great not handing cash over to someone else - if you don't have to!

I'm suprised your amp even worked @6MV's! LOL! What power tubes did you use?
Quote by damnedone
Hey, way 2 go!!! It is SIMPLE to BIAS the DSL's, because of the 3 leads with just a multimeter! I did my DSL50 and it was a snap! It's great not handing cash over to someone else - if you don't have to!

I'm suprised your amp even worked @6MV's! LOL! What power tubes did you use?

ahahaha!

Sorry man, my mistake, it was 86 on one side, the other was 79 i think.
Hahaha, that's hilarious.

I need your opinion.
Right now I've got stock marshall EL34's in and obviously they are crap compared to the JJ's etc.
And stock marshall preamp tubes. The brand is actually marshall, which i never thought possible as my 401 came with JJs.

I'm thinkign about going the JJ el34s in the power amp but don't know what to do for the pre amp.

I looked on the sticky about tubes and thought about the JJ's or Tung-Sols.

I'm going for a darker smooth tone.
Any idea?
And is it easy just to replace all the tubes.
Whats with the preamp tube with the silver casing around it?

thanks alot dude.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
id like to learn how to bias myself. I do guitar setups and went to some classes to learn all of that. As far as the guitar goes I can do whatever. When it comes to amps different story. Where do I get the equipment to bias my amp? I forgot what the meters are called. I'm sure you know. Where did you get yours?
I used eurotubes and described the tone I was seeking (which is more classic rock) and they recommended the KT77's for power tubes. Heavy Metal folks tend to get the EL34L's. Here is what eurotubes says about DSL re-tubes:

The 2000 series Marshall's are a step up from the 900’s in my opinion and I almost always use the JJ E34L’s in them. The KT77's are also an option once again but because the 77's have more sizzle (presence) on the top end it's sometimes a bit too much if you're playing single coils so you will have to roll the presence back, with humbuckers the KT77's ROCK!

The ECC83S's do very well to tame the shrill high end and thicken up the mids and low end and a good balanced ECC83S in V4 for the phase inverter really helps these amps. Another option in the head versions of the DSL and TSL amps is to use an ECC803S which is slightly lower in gain but thicker in the mids and a little brighter in the highs. This does real well for humbuckers.

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-m.htm

Oh and that metal cap case over the far left preamp tube is just to prevent interference.
Quote by solidsnake15
id like to learn how to bias myself. I do guitar setups and went to some classes to learn all of that. As far as the guitar goes I can do whatever. When it comes to amps different story. Where do I get the equipment to bias my amp? I forgot what the meters are called. I'm sure you know. Where did you get yours?

Hey man.
Well I'm only 15 and i thought, instead of taking my amp to a tech that will change the power tubes and bias it for 250 dollars (got a quote for my 401) i figure why not learn to do it myself so i looked it up and found eurotubes.com. They had a video of how to bias my dsl100. All you need is a multimeter which reads millivolts or volts. My dad has one so i just got that and away you go.

What amp do you have? All amps are different in biasing as some trim pots (things you turn to change the bias) are located inside the amp which you will have to remove the chassis to get to.

Lucky the dsl100 is easy to bias and all i have to do is take the back plate off.
Quote by atr5557
Quote by damnedone
I used eurotubes and described the tone I was seeking (which is more classic rock) and they recommended the KT77's for power tubes. Heavy Metal folks tend to get the EL34L's. Here is what eurotubes says about DSL re-tubes:

The 2000 series Marshall's are a step up from the 900’s in my opinion and I almost always use the JJ E34L’s in them. The KT77's are also an option once again but because the 77's have more sizzle (presence) on the top end it's sometimes a bit too much if you're playing single coils so you will have to roll the presence back, with humbuckers the KT77's ROCK!

The ECC83S's do very well to tame the shrill high end and thicken up the mids and low end and a good balanced ECC83S in V4 for the phase inverter really helps these amps. Another option in the head versions of the DSL and TSL amps is to use an ECC803S which is slightly lower in gain but thicker in the mids and a little brighter in the highs. This does real well for humbuckers.

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-m.htm

Oh and that metal cap case over the far left preamp tube is just to prevent interference.

Sweet.
Didn't see that.
Thanks dude, i really appreciate it. When replacing the preamp tubes, do i just take them out and put the new ones in? I believe that no biasing is needed.
Quote by atr5557
Yep, that's it! BTW...I would suggest cleaning your tube sockets first - directions are also on eurotubes site. It is really easy just spray contact cleaner on tube pins and run on and out of socket a couple of times. Peace!

Quote by b00m_
Sweet.
Didn't see that.
Thanks dude, i really appreciate it. When replacing the preamp tubes, do i just take them out and put the new ones in? I believe that no biasing is needed.
Quote by damnedone
Yep, that's it! BTW...I would suggest cleaning your tube sockets first - directions are also on eurotubes site. It is really easy just spray contact cleaner on tube pins and run on and out of socket a couple of times. Peace!

For a moment there i thought i was sigged because the quote was at the bottom.
Got excited then

Yeah i read about cleaning the sockets. Thanks for your helps man. Might talk to you another day.

I'm off to bed, have a good one.
Quote by atr5557
Hey solid ... I don't own a 6505 but have a friend who told me that the amp has a fixed BIAS. Meaning just put like tubes in your 6505 and there is no need to BIAS the amp. Problem is the amp is pretty cold, so some folks do a BIAS MOD to these amps. Take a look at this thread for some ideas, or search 6505 BIAS MOD - which should yield further information. Also, it seems there are plenty of UG folks that own this amp that may be able to offer some help.

Here's the thread to which I spoke: http://music-electronics-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6865
this is what i had thought but then some other people told me it didn't matter that i needed to bias it.
I have a pair of JJ E34Ls in my Laney and they do the "hard rock" thing brilliantly... so crunchy and full. I'd expect them to sound great in your Marshall
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I put Tung Sol's in the pre-amp, and JJ EL34's in the power section and it woke my Windsor right up. I love it now.
Gibson.