Hi all,

Wasn't really sure where to put this, so I just put it here, since i'm planning this cover on acoustic.....

Marlena Shaw - California Soul

I plan on covering this song, I've loved it for years...... but this question is to, how shall i put it, musical connosiuers:

Is it sacrilegeous to cover this song? This is a special kind of song, timeless i think, i mean it was recorded 1969, and it hasn't dated at all.....

I've just found out it's being used for commercials by Dockers and was used by KFC a few years back...this I don't like!!!

I don't know if anyone can understand me.....If some brand uses a song that you respect, for a commercial of a product that you personally don't think is worthy of the song....I'm having a rant, I know...cant help it!

Anyway, back to the point, can you break a song you love by trying to cover it yourself? I don't want to come to hate this song....do I try with caution?

Some songs should not be covered (Fall Out Boy - Beat It springs to mind...)
Whereas some songs that should not be covered come out suprisingly good (Chris Cornell - Billie Jean)

Any opinions? Do I need saving me from myself !?
As long as you add your own thing to it and do it in your own way then i wouldn't worry too much, just don't try and copy the original completely, if that makes sense?

(Fall Out Boy's cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart i think is the worst thing i've heard in my life since you mentioned them BTW.)
if you feel it and you are capable of playing it: play it. It's a good song
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Quote by noah22791
if you feel it and you are capable of playing it: play it. It's a good song

agreed, and there's a big difference between you covering a song and fall out boy covering a song, you can cover a song by someone else and play it for you and your friends enjoyment, that's what playing guitar is all about, spreading the love. Fall out boy do it for a quick and easy money, which is shameless.

I'd never heard this song before, it's really nice, thanks man
Here is how I cover songs (in an artistically tasteful and unique way, in my opinion ):

I'll listen to it a few times and get to know it. I do it just to pick up the general chord progressions and learn the layout of the song and whatnot. Then, I'll STOP listening to the song and go from there. I often change lyrics or add slightly different chords, but hell its just a cover, so why not make it your own? I find it a lot more satisfying when people tell me they prefer my version. It also allows you room to make songs that are generally very un-acoustic oriented sound like they were made for it.

That said, many people don't feel comfortable changing other musicians songs (especially ones that are already awesome). If thats your bag, learn it how it's normally played. There's no shame in that at all. I'd be psyched if someone wanted to learn some of my songs!
thanks a lot for the advice people, im takin it all on board.

GC, thats kindof how i do it at the moment Always try to change the original to give it my own little twist (so far, worked amazingly well for Sting Roxanne done as a acoustic funk version :P)

I been working on the first verse and chorus, and have to say had the best positive feedback from the girlfriend, she comes into the room i was playin in and asked What was that? Sounded ace!

Dan, there is loads of music from that age that just screams to be heard... I usually find them in some DJ's set mix. I found that tune out via DJ Shadow, but the best DJ for discoverin some classic tunes like that has gotta be Mr Scruff. Check out some of his Live Sets (http://themixingbowl.org/) you need to sign up, but theres loads of live sets on there from DJ's that sample good ole jazz, soul. Really helps inspire new directions for your music!

Again, thanks for the advice guys, and who knows, if I'm happy with how the song goes, I may record it and upload it, to see what people think
I love mr. scruff, I've seen him live a couple of times. The first time I saw him, his set had more of a samba theme to it and it was awesome, he blew the roof off. Thanks for the link, not seen this site.
Yes matey, Mr Scruff is indded amazing! The two best mixes i'cve heard from him are Breezeblock mix and Live in Betalounge.

Also his Blue room mix is good, only 15minutels long, but discovered Adriana Evans thru that mix, and she is a definite good find!

Also, try any artist from NinjaTunes or TruThoughts label. Nostalgia 77, Bonobo, Quantic, Funki Porcini to name a few.....

Enjoy matey! Although you probably heard of quite a few of them if your into Mr Scruff...
cool man, my mate lives down in brighton and he turned me on to mr scruff, then I bought Zen CD (retrospective) and the DVD that came out the same time and I was hooked. I really like TM Juke on the TruThoughts label, I've got maps of the wilderness, amazing album, but I've not heard forward yet.

Check out Mr Scruffs podcast mix on Bodytonic, theres a nice stevie wonder cover in there.

http://www.bodytonicmusic.com/podcasts/2008/may/26/bodytonic-podcast-14-mrscruff/
Hey up mate!

nice one with the Mr Scruff mix there Spot on for the office...... Samba rhythms really make work a better place

If you like TM Juke, then you must have already heard of Alice Russell Don't think any words are nessecary for her. She has one of those voices man!

I'd say that was a nice little music resource swap...hehe, nice one mate!
Quote by tamer

Marlena Shaw - California Soul

I plan on covering this song, I've loved it for years...... but this question is to, how shall i put it, musical connosiuers:

Is it sacrilegeous to cover this song? This is a special kind of song, timeless i think, i mean it was recorded 1969, and it hasn't dated at all.....

The Marlena Shaw version is a cover itself! And if you like it... cover it!
Yep, but its one of those cases where the cover is better than the original.... Was it Marvin Gaye originally?

The onther cover beter than original i can think of is NIN - hurt.... Even Cash preferred the cover version..