What do you guys think of them, does anyone have a set in their strat?
Also, what would be a good price to pay for a set that are ever-so-slightly used?
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
I have them in my Strat, and they're not great for an SRV sound. Lindy Fralin Blues Specials or DiMarzio Blue Velvets would be better if that's the sound you're looking for.
^Fralin Blues Specials are not going to get you SRV tone either. His vintage hot set would get you much MUCH closer.

The Texas special pickups are medium quality pickups that have a boutique pricetag. If you are going to pay boutique prices then you should get boutique quality.

I could make specific recomendations about what to look for if I knew what amp you were using
Not taking any online orders.
My amp is a VOX AD30VT and I'm actually looking for a Mark Knopfler sound...
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Not a bad amp at all and where did SRV comments come from?

what kind of music to you play/wanna play outside of Mark Knopfler?

what I often tell people is to go to Duncan's web site and review their pups and maybe call them and then come back with some alternatives. The only reason I say that is a lot of people know those pups and can maybe offer some alternatives for many different brands.

what i'm struggling with is whether or not new pups will make a difference, with your amp and music styles and all...so we'll see.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Not a bad amp at all and where did SRV comments come from?

what kind of music to you play/wanna play outside of Mark Knopfler?

what I often tell people is to go to Duncan's web site and review their pups and maybe call them and then come back with some alternatives. The only reason I say that is a lot of people know those pups and can maybe offer some alternatives for many different brands.

what i'm struggling with is whether or not new pups will make a difference, with your amp and music styles and all...so we'll see.

They wont make that much of a difference, considering that it is a modeling amp.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I am saving up for a better amp though. What would you guys suggest I save for?
Quote by kool98769
They wont make that much of a difference, considering that it is a modeling amp.

Personally, I think pickups do show their personality on that amp.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
Personally, I think pickups do show their personality on that amp.

Not as much as they would on a non-modeling amp though.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
for knopfler, any vintage fender pickup set should do you good, I'd recommend some under-wound pickups though.
---▲===
Pink Floyd
Get something with formvar wire. Mark knopfler has a couple strats from the early 60's and a couple from the mid 50's. His newer music is using the 50's strat while his older music is using the 60's strats. All of them have formvar wire but the 50's strat have lower output pickups.

For the 50's tone you will want formvar pickups wound to around 5.8K and degaussed alnico V magnets. For the early 60's tone you will want something wound to about 6.2K with formvar wire.
i have texas specials in a mia standard strat. i love them, they are so much warmer and louder than the stock pups.

i play through a fender hot rod deluxe amp, and can get a good knopfler type tone with the neck and mid pickup combination and the amp on clean.

it's worth considering that the fender mark knopfler signature strat has texas specials.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Ya, I know about the Knopfler sig strat, but I already have an American Strat, so I don't see the point in buying this one, which is like almost two grand, when all I have to do is buy the pickups.
Quote by Dave Gilmour
Ya, I know about the Knopfler sig strat, but I already have an American Strat, so I don't see the point in buying this one, which is like almost two grand, when all I have to do is buy the pickups.

absolutely correct. what i was trying to point out was that as the sig strat has texas specials on it then knopfler is in some way endorsing the use of those pups.

i really don't know how fender can justify the price tag on the sig strat when the only difference seems to be the pups. i don't know where you are but here in the UK a set of texas specials goes for about £180 from fender.

EDIT: price is around £150 new - must have dropped since i got mine due to $ exchange rate. still a bit of a rip off.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by dr_john at Jul 16, 2008,
I have them in my Monterey Strat, and the only bad thing i can say is the bridge pickup doesn't have the kind of killer rock sound as other pickups, but it's the supposed to.

My Monterey Strat is my main guitar and i love Texas Specials more than any other pickup i've tried.
I can get a really good SRV tone (like the one he has in "Testify") with the neck-middle and my Keeley BD-2, awesome sound! i can also get a great Mayer tone out of it and Incubus tones with my Fulldrive 2.
And i can get a really great harder rock sound like Tom Morello with my Lovepedal Eternity.

I have lately been getting into fuzz and i have a Lovepedal 200lbs which makes it sing like Eric johnson and my Fuzz Factory makes it scream like Muse.

The lovepedal 200lbs sounds great on the bridge pickup when mixed with the Keeley BD-2.

Anyway, what i'm trying to say is it's amazing and almost perfect for anything but br00tal metal.
If I can get a pair of some that are ever-so-slightly used for $120, would that be a good deal?
dimarzio area '58?
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
For Mark Knopfler stuff I get a fairly good sound out of my American Standard Strat, I don't know if you are looking for his newer or older sound, I maybe get closer to his newer sound.

I think he used to use a compressor alot on the first two Dire Straits albums, if that helps.

Also are you playing with your fingers or a pick?
Quote by Dave Gilmour
If I can get a pair of some that are ever-so-slightly used for $120, would that be a good deal?

It's a much better deal but I still woudn't say it's a good deal.
I'm not quite sure about the difference in prices from Denmark and USA other than pretty much anything in the States is half price compared to here, especially with the Dollar being so low right now.
In Denmark a fresh set for a Strat is $404.. so i would sya it's a f***ing good deal if you can get a set for $120, i'd say go for it, they sound amazing, the neck pickup and neck middle are the best single coils i've ever tried.
Quote by Dave Gilmour

spend an extra $40 get a new set. Why put somone elses parts on your guitar?
Thats not a bad price though. Tx specials have such an amazing sound, you will love them.
I have them in a Fender Custom Shop Tele with Strat pickups and a 5 way.

I also have them in a Roadhouse Strat.

I like them a lot, but usually play without any distortion and don't plat teh brootlz.

A lot of people seem not to like them but they work for me.

Would you like a clip?
sure. Thanks.
Sorry to Hijack the thread, but I love the Chili's and I really would like to get the sound that Frusciante is producing, im aware he has a Marshall Stacks, and I have 100 Watt Marshall too, but I was wonder which pickups I should get in order to get a sound close to his. Thanks guys!
^most of Fru's strats have stock pickups from 1962. Just about anything wound with formvar wire will get you close.